Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree1214Likes

Thread: Comedian Hannibal Buress Called Out Bill Cosby's Rape History on Stage

Bill Cosby’s massive social media fail

Just as with #Imametsfanbecause back in September, yet another social media campaign backfired spectacularly today. Bill Cosby posted a photo of himself on Twitter Monday afternoon inviting the Internet to meme him. The entire thing was eventually deleted when fans used the web tool to highlight past accusations against Cosby.

The comedian was accused of rape nearly 20 years ago but the allegations made headlines again earlier this year when NBC was reportedly considering a sitcom based on the comedian’s life.

Just last month, stand-up comic Hannibal Buress brought the issue to the forefront by flat-out calling Cosby a “rapist” during a stage set in Philadelphia.

Using the meme generator on Cosby’s website, fans focused on the numerous rape allegations that have been filed against the longtime Jello spokesman over the years. Here are some examples:

A few hours after the meme generator’s launch, Twitter users realized the word “rape” was being removed. In fact, when the words “rape,” “rapist” and “sex” were typed in, they all cleared out. That didn’t stop critics from having their say, though.

Shortly thereafter, Cosby’s original tweet was deleted and the meme generator mysteriously disappeared, with the link now redirecting to Cosby’s homepage.

Certainly, this can’t end well for someone on Cosby’s team.

Nevan, Beeyotch, Kittylady and 2 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^ What I really like about this was that some comedian (unknown to me, until recently, was he popular before this?) put his career on the line to get this out in the open and a LOT of the PUBLIC is standing up and calling bullshit and saying this is NOT okay. Hopefully he doesn't get his new show and all his old shows pull syndication reruns and he loses his god-like popularity. He doesn't deserve any of them. In fact, he deserves jail time, but I realize that's highly unlikely. I hope all the added publicity isn't straining the victims too much and they feel a little vindication instead from this. And JFC, how stupid of him (or his media team, if he has one) to do this while it's still major news. Not only did it backfire, but I hope it showed him that people (the public at large) are just not going to lay down and accept his "no, all these women are lying! I'm Dr. Huxtuble, dammit" bullshit.

HAHAHA! /Nelson
    Kittylady likes this.

Well this is pretty awesome...Bill walked right into this fiasco. I think he is ovah.

Beeyotch, sluce, Kittylady and 2 others like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Haha, I LOVE that this is backfiring so spectacularly. Like 4th of July fireworks spectacularly. Hilarious!
    sluce, Kittylady, Nevan and 2 others like this.

Bill Cosby Responds to Rape Questions with Silence, Head-Shaking

On Saturday, Weekend Edition host Scott Simon ended an interview with Bill and Camille Cosby by asking the comedian point-blank for comment on the accusations by more than a dozen women of sexual assault. In response, Cosby only shook his head.

From NPR's transcript of the segment:

SIMON: This question gives me no pleasure Mr. Cosby, but there have been serious allegations raised about you in recent days.
    [SILENCE]

SIMON: You're shaking your head no. I'm in the news business. I have to ask the question. Do you have any response to those charges?
    [SILENCE]

SIMON: Shaking your head no. There are people who love you who might like to hear from you about this. I want to give you the chance.
    [SILENCE]

Shortly after his Weekend Edition appearance, the Associated Press reported that Cosby's scheduled spot on Wednesday's Late Show with David Letterman had been canceled. This follows a similar cancelation by The Queen Latifah Show last month.

The charges against Cosby have been public for almost a decade, but have received renewed attention after comedian Hannibal Buress called him "a rapist" during a recent stand-up set.

Cosby had originally been invited onto Weekend Edition to discuss his collection of African art.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I just read on FoxNews (I know, I know, but I read sites from both sides) that Cosby backed out of his upcoming Letterman appearance. I love that he's getting such a backlash suddenly. He should have been in JAIL.

I asked this earlier, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Was Hannibal Buress well known before this? I had never heard of him before, but damn, he really laid it out there.
    Mrs P likes this.

The NBC affiliate in Philly just showed a current interview with the former DA asking what happened in the 2004 case. The DA said they wanted to prosecute Bill but there was no enough evidence, partly because the victim waited a year to file a complaint so they couldn't evidence from a rape kit. The DA does state on record that he believes something happened.

ETA - It looks like another woman has come forward.
    Last edited by sluce; November 17th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bill Cosby receives another detailed rape allegation he won't acknowledge ·Newswire· The A.V. Club
    Following a weekend in which it was reported that Bill Cosby canceled appearances on both David Letterman’s and Queen Latifah’s respective talk shows, and NPR hosted an interview where he responded to sexual assault allegations by silently shaking his head—plus nearly a month of sickening feelings exacerbated by disastrous PR—the comedian has finally commented on the growing controversy. In a statement released through his lawyer, Cosby silently shook his head at the entire world:

Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.
    - John P. Schmitt, lawyer for Bill Cosby

As The New York Times notes, Schmitt did not say how, exactly, those allegations have been discredited. Aside from the occasional informal denial, the only official response to any of the allegations was the out-of-court settlement reached with one of his accusers, Andrea Costand, in 2005. Had it gone to trial, that suit would have included the testimony of 13 women making similar charges. He also does not say how, exactly, Cosby is at this moment “doing his best work.”

And now Cosby has at least one more allegation not to dignify: Joan Tarshis, a former actress, journalist, and music publicist, has written an essay forHollywood Elsewhere in which she claims that Cosby drugged and raped her twice in 1969, when she was 19 years old. Tarshis’ public account follows that of Barbara Bowman, who recently wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post in which she alleges that Cosby raped her when she was a teenager in the 1980s, asking why it took Hannibal Buress making a joke about it for anyone to take her seriously. All told, Tarshis makes 14 women who have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual assault, none of whom he will acknowledge.

In Tarshis’ retelling, she says she met Cosby through friends while she was working as a comedy writer. Cosby asked her to start visiting the set of The Bill Cosby Show, and that’s where things took a dismayingly familiar turn:

One day he asked me to stay after the shooting and work on some material with him. I was even more flattered and thought this would help move my writing career along. In his bungalow he made me a redeye [a Bloody Mary–beer cocktail], and I began to tell him about the earthquake Los Angeles had just had and the sound it made. He liked my ideas for an earthquake bit.
    The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed. Through the haze I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.

Tarshis says the second incident took place later that year, after she’d returned home to her family in New York. Cosby called and spoke with her mother, extending an invitation through her for Tarshis to come see him perform at the Westbury Music Theater. Tarshis says she didn’t know how to refuse the invitation without telling her starstruck parents what had happened. So she went:

He sent a limo to pick me up and I was dropped off at the Sherry Netherland Hotel and went up to his suite. I remember noticing that his leather shaving kit was filled with bottles of pills, and thinking that this seemed odd. He was, of course, very friendly and I, of course, was very uncomfortable. He made me a redeye, and I, being nervous and dealing at the time with an alcohol problem (I’ve been in recovery since 1988), drank it. In the car I had something else to drink, but was already beginning to feel a bit stoned.

“When we got to Westbury and he went on, there was no seat for me. I stood in the back of the theater with his chauffeur, feeling insulted that I wasn’t respected enough to be given a reserved seat. But soon after, I remember feeling very, very stoned and asking his chauffeur to take me back to the car. I was having trouble standing up. The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked. I remember thinking ‘You old shit, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me.’”

Tarshis says she spent 20 years in silence, not knowing how to tell anyone. In her essay, she declares, “As more and more of his rape victims have come forward, all telling similar stories, the time is right to join them.”

While Cosby remains officially silent, plenty of others are now talking about whether he can ever move past this—most immediately with the new family sitcom that was previously a lock for NBC’s 2015 schedule. While Netflix is still set on debuting Cosby’s new standup special just in time for a very awkward Thanksgiving, Deadline reports that the show that would star Cosby as a grandfather sharing his wisdom with a multigenerational brood is likely in jeopardy, as the network considers whether maybe people will still remember that Cosby received multiple, graphically detailed accusations of rape all the way into next year.
    ARE YOU KIDDING that Netflix and NBC are still considering going forward with those shows? Can they not read the writing on the wall and see the impending backlash?

I mean, I just walked past a random shop with a TV on and COSBY RAPE ALLEGATION was the headline on CNN, so it's not like this is staying within the scope of internet readers. This will reach grandmas and the rest of the non-internet using audience.
    BuffyKatniss likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Bill Cosby receives another detailed rape allegation he won't acknowledge ·Newswire· The A.V. Club

ARE YOU KIDDING that Netflix and NBC are still considering going forward with those shows? Can they not read the writing on the wall and see the impending backlash?
    There could be so many reasons why, but I guess the main one is that if they cancel then it leaves them wide open to litigation which would probably cost more than the actual show itself. That and I would guess that Cosby still has enough influence to have people "strongly advising" that withdrawing support for him (which a lot of people would see as adding credence to the claims) would be a bad thing to do. I doubt that he could have done these things for so long and had so much squashed and made to go away unless he had dirt on other movers and shakers with similar tastes.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I think the public outrage will gain momentum and people will begin making an issue out of this--imagine the Ray Rice scenario all over again--and at least NBC will pull out, they have too many advertisers that won't want anything to do with this.
    sluce and BuffyKatniss like this.

Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.

He will however, dignify them with payoffs and out of court settlements.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I just went to his Twitter and the morons that comment I just can't
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Now Janice Dickinson is reporting that Bill raped her in 1982.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/exc...223700892.html
    EXCLUSIVE: Janice Dickinson Details Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Accusations: He Raped Me
    With rape allegations against Bill Cosby mounting, supermodel Janice Dickinson tells ET in a new interview that the comedian sexually assaulted her in 1982.

Dickinson, now 59, recalls first meeting Cosby, now 77, when her agent set up a meeting with him to hire her for a role on The Cosby Show. After they had dinner, she says their next conversation was when he called her out of the blue while she was in rehab for drugs and alcohol. Following her stay in rehab, Dickinson says Cosby reached out to her during a trip to Bali and had her travel to Lake Tahoe, because he was performing there and wanted to offer her the job they had discussed as well as help her with a singing career.

Dickinson says they had dinner in Lake Tahoe, and claims that he gave her a glass of red wine and a pill, which she asked for because she was menstruating and had stomach pains.

And that's when she tells ET that things took a disturbing turn.

"The next morning I woke up, and I wasn't wearing my pajamas, and I remember before I passed out that I had been sexually assaulted by this man," she tells ET. "... Before I woke up in the morning, the last thing I remember was Bill Cosby in a patchwork robe, dropping his robe and getting on top of me. And I remember a lot of pain. The next morning I remember waking up with my pajamas off and there was semen in between my legs."

Dickinson also says she tried to write about the assault in her 2002 autobiography No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel, but claims that when she submitted a draft with her full story to HarperCollins, Cosby and his lawyers pressured her and the publisher to remove the details.

"I'm doing this because it's the right thing to do, and it happened to me, and this is the true story," she says about coming out with her story now. "I believe all the other women."

Dickinson says that keeping the alleged sexual assault a secret for 32 years drove her to a life of hurting herself.

"Stuffing feelings of rape and my unresolved issued with this incident has drove me into a life of trying to hurt myself because I didn't have counsel and I was afraid," she says. "I was afraid of the consequences. I was afraid of being labeled a whore or a slut and trying to sleep my way to the top of a career that never took place."

But now Dickinson, who says she never confronted Cosby after the alleged incident, doesn't mince words when it comes to what she would say to him now.

"How dare you," she says. "Go f*ck yourself. How dare you take advantage of me. And I hope you rot."

Dickinson is the third woman to come forward with a sexual assault accusation against Cosby, after a renewed interest in the allegations began when comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby a "rapist" during an October comedy show in Philadelphia.

On Monday, ET spoke to former publicist Joan Tarshis who says that the legendary comedian assaulted her on two occasions in 1969. She also echoed Dickinson's statements about why she stayed silent for so long.

"I want to talk about this now and I want to really support the other women who have gone through this," she told ET. "Now with people coming out..., it's being handled differently."

Tarshis is referring to another of Cosby's accusers, Barbara Bowman, who wrote an op-ed piece in the Washington Post earlier this month detailing the alleged assault she says she fell victim to in 1985 when she was a 17-year-old aspiring actress.

"In one case, I blacked out after having dinner and one glass of wine at his New York City brownstone, where he had offered to mentor me and discuss the entertainment industry," she wrote. "When I came to, I was in my panties and a man's t-shirt, and Cosby was looming over me. I’m certain now that he drugged and raped me. But as a teenager, I tried to convince myself I had imagined it."

Bowman said that she was one of the alleged victims asked to testify when a woman named Andrea Constand filed a suit against Cosby in 2004. The case was eventually settled out of court.

Cosby's lawyer, John P. Schmitt, issued a statement on Sunday in response to the sexual assault allegations after Cosby's initial response of just silence during an NPR interview Saturday.

"Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact they are being repeated does not make them true," the statement reads. "Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives."
    BuffyKatniss likes this.

Wow. Janis does have a platform to be heard, so I'm curious to see where that goes.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information