Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: From ‘Clueless’ to Clueless: Alicia Silverstone’s ‘The Kind Mama’

Attention all mothers ever in the history of humanity: You're doing it wrong! Lucky you have Alicia to set you straight.
    kasippu likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post

8. Forcing a baby to sleep outside the ‘Family Bed’ is tantamount to neglect.

Silverstone knows what you’re thinking: Sharing a bed with your infant “sounds like some kind of trippy holdover from the peace, love, and barley casserole notions of the commune-happy sixties.” Fair enough, she writes, but the alternative—forcing your helpless baby to sleep “in a barred-in box completely alone”—may well amount to child neglect. “Sharing a bed with baby means you can tune in better to her needs, which in turn builds security and trust.” The worst thing you can do is leave a baby to “cry it out, self-soothe, or otherwise independently take care of himself before he’s ready.” This kind of neglect will foster an unhealthy parent-child relationship, ensuring that your baby “misses out on the trust building that’s crucial in infant development.” You might as well throw him out in the cold and tell him to come back when he gets a job, because letting him cry it out prevents him from “learning how kind and giving the world is.”
    Forcing a baby to sleep in the ‘Family Bed’ is tantamount to neglect your husband?

I know this couple and their son slept in between them till he was a teenager. Seriously. Curiously enough they only have one child.

southernbelle likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

It's not that some of her advice isn't good, but it's the hippy dippy/coupled with the know it all vibe that assumes the rest of us are ill informed idiots that bothers me.

The vaccine thing is just ignorant crap. Just what we need is another celeb telling people not to vaccinate.

God help that babe. Measles is so widespread now because of this sort of bunk that doctors are having to be trained how to spot it. It was almost gone,now hundreds of innocent kids with stupid parents have to suffer.
    Wait until this kid gets really,really sick with something she could have avoided 100%.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Not just suffering but DYING.

This stupid bitch. Hopefully she will home school her little twatling and keep him in a breast milk filled bubble AWAY from other humans.

But probably not. Because I'm sure she will feel he is just as entitled to roam the planet slobbering and snotting all over everything that the rest of the world touches with his unprotected, cootie-filled bodily fluids.

What I wanna know is are there really legions of men who also subscribe to this same craziness that the moms like Alicia do? Or have they stepped away from sufficiently giving a fuck? Are they all taking the kids to McyD's and getting them vaccinated behind mom's back (like one man I know personally does...his wife would have a SHIT FIT if she knew)
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

People who name their child Bear Blu should not be dishing out parenting advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Not just suffering but DYING.

This stupid bitch. Hopefully she will home school her little twatling and keep him in a breast milk filled bubble AWAY from other humans.

But probably not. Because I'm sure she will feel he is just as entitled to roam the planet slobbering and snotting all over everything that the rest of the world touches with his unprotected, cootie-filled bodily fluids.

What I wanna know is are there really legions of men who also subscribe to this same craziness that the moms like Alicia do? Or have they stepped away from sufficiently giving a fuck? Are they all taking the kids to McyD's and getting them vaccinated behind mom's back (like one man I know personally does...his wife would have a SHIT FIT if she knew)
    In my little world, I've noticed that most of the women that really subscribe to being anti-vax, co-sleepers, extended breastfeeders, etc., are the ones in their family that really feel that way. Either the dad doesn't care, somewhat supports, or has given up and is miserable lol. OK, sort of kidding, but it's true. Even in my house, where I was a little non-traditional in raising my daughter. My SO was pretty supportive of most things, but really put his foot down on others. Of course, almost all parents bump heads over issues, but if one is like Alicia and the other isn't, problems will arise. Plus, the mom's that I see and interact with are the ones that are responsible for the doctor appointments and their husbands probably have no clue if the kid is vaccinated or not.

I was curious about her referencing Dr. Oz. I know he's a doofus, but I had never heard he was anti-vaccine. I tried to find something out there where he really came out as anti-vax, or supported the autism from vax community. Seems like he really just sits on the fence with this issue. Looks like he was pro-vax at some point and now he sticks to the spread them out if you can approach. But, it looks like his wife is anti-vax and he allows her to make the decisions for the kids. So, even a doctor listens to his wife about medical issues.

Hmm. Funny,he just had a segment on measles and was begging mothers to vaccinate.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post

No, but really.
    That's the best. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Obviously her parents were big carnivores
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Well, I needed a deliberate and wholesome Fuck You.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information