Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Claire Danes on Billy Crudup leaving pregnant wife for her

No one's interviewing Billy Crudup about ANYTHING these days, so no one's asking him about this.

As for Claire, it's complete bullshit that this has been "dogging" her. Her career has been at its height for the past decade. Lest we forget, for years she has been the subject of fawning press and has won 3 Emmys. Check out this New Yorker profile, where Billy Crudup is never mentioned and Claire is portrayed as both the best actress of her generation and smartest, most wonderful person behind the camera:

Varieties of Disturbance - The New Yorker

THAT'S what her press has been, she has been no way branded "the other woman" and hasn't suffered at all, career wise. Stern asked about it because that's what he does, drags the skeletons out of the closet, but he's been the only one. I don't think anyone is gonna weep that one person in ten years has asked her about it.

As for Russell Crowe, I'm sure he would be asked about the Meg Ryan scandal, except after that, he was involved in even bigger scandals that the media found more interesting. Meg Ryan's career was already on the downturn when that whole scandal went down, because no one was interested in her non-romcom roles. Her career went off the rails due to bad choices, and the scandal didn't help because she'd aggressively cultivated the America's Sweetheart image and that ruined it, but she probably could've had a comeback by now as a character actress if she hadn't had such horrendous surgery that botched her face. Like him or not, Crowe never cultivated an image as anything other than a bastard. Also, it's not like Dennis Quaid's career was setting the world on fire either during or after the scandal.
    redcat and Colorado_Kid like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Like I said, there are always excuses to justify why it's always women who get shamed for transgressions in their personal lives, never men. And it's always women coming up with those excuses. But I guess that's how internalised misogyny works.
    Flygirl and sluce like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I guess Billy likes the voluptuous type:
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

well my excuse for thinking claire is a skank is i loved that show weeds and nobody fucks with nancy botwin. that's my excuse for internal misogyny i guess...
    maryk likes this.

Danes was interviewed by Stern. This is what Stern asks about. If Crudup was worthy of being interviewed by Stern, this subject would have been asked about by Stern. Stern did not take a judge mental tone with Danes - he let her explain her feelings about what happened. I think people here consider Crudup the bigger villain by far but are appalled by Danes' lack of insight into how bad it looked.
    Bellatheball and BITTER like this.

Her body looks fine to me.

To be honest, she didn't cheat with any husband of mine so I don't care that she doesn't regret it. I find it preferable that she openly still doesn't give a shit. She's not the first actor to do something shitty and not give a damn. It never affects men's careers, why should she have to interview about it so many years later?
    sputnik likes this.

How is saying Claire wasn't punished for the affair, misogynistic? I agree with NoNo on that. I don't see this grand public shaming she supposedly endures.

Also, Ben has totally been taking the heat for the implosion of his marriage.

Beeyotch said it best, we're commenting on this article and Claire's comments. Are we not allowed to call out callousness because she fucked a married guy?

Her remarks made her sound like an ass. She doesn't get a pass on that because she's a woman.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Listening to the show (which I did) she didn't come across anywhere near as obnoxious as if one had just read this article. She was a giant fool in my estimation, but Ben was by far the bigger douche. But even if she privately has regrets, I can understand her not wanting to voice them publicly. Howard would have asked anyone this. Especially Ben. Ben is not important enough to be interviewed by Howard basically.

And honestly? Though what you wrote was the ideal for a mature and evolved individual NoNo, I have yet to meet an "other woman" of any age who has ever said this about herself. Especially if it was a case where they "won" and ended up with the guy in question (even if they don't stay together forever) instead of just the side piece for awhile. Maaaybe they end up having regrets if they end up getting the same treatment from him down the road. Or if he leads them on but ends up staying with the wife or girlfriend.

But almost every female I have ever met thinks their pussy is magical and their relationship with the cheater dude is somehow speshul and different and warrants exploration (or some other such bullshit rationalization). Y'know....life is messy!
    Flygirl and Kittylady like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Listening to the show (which I did) she didn't come across anywhere near as obnoxious as if one had just read this article. She was a giant fool in my estimation, but Ben was by far the bigger douche. But even if she privately has regrets, I can understand her not wanting to voice them publicly. Howard would have asked anyone this. Especially Ben. Ben is not important enough to be interviewed by Howard basically.

who is ben? *confused*

maybe i started happy hour too early ....

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post

maybe i started happy hour too early ....
    No such thing.
    czb and SHELLEE like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I think it may be that Ben (Affleck) is taking all the heat for his break up with Jen. The relevance being that in not all circumstances do the females end up taking the brunt of the blame for a break up.

And it looks like Ben and Billy may have been mixed up??

Oops. I meant Billy. Not Ben. Wrong cheating asshole!

The only difference is Assfleck is important enough to be interviewed by Howard. But he'd probably not have the guts to sit for a Howard interview right now!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    It never affects men's careers, why should she have to interview about it so many years later?
    It's like men have to do Stephen Collins/Roman Polanski/Bill Cosby levels of sexual no-nos before they get castigated. It was only sixty years ago that Ingrid Bergman was called on the carpet by the Senate, no less, for having a child with another man while still married to her husband.
    sputnik, greysfang, Brah and 2 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information