Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Chrissie Hynde Under Fire for Rape Remarks

Oh boy.

There is still a distinction I make, you can behave with a defensive mindset. But it's still not cool to shame girls for wearing "slutty" things.

If I had a daughter I would tell her I don't want you wearing that because it's not smart to make yourself a target. Not because it makes you look slutty.

What the actual fuck? You have to be trolling with that bullshit.

ETA: In response to Suzy
    Kittylady likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

She's always trolling.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Agreed. Tiresome. And this time, well, like you said, fuck off.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Oh boy.

There is still a distinction I make, you can behave with a defensive mindset. But it's still not cool to shame girls for wearing "slutty" things.

If I had a daughter I would tell her I don't want you wearing that because it's not smart to make yourself a target. Not because it makes you look slutty.
    Are u being serious right now. Tell her one thing, she's going to go behind ur back & do what she wants

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Fuck off
    Quoted because its bears repeating.
    Last edited by greysfang; September 2nd, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by *Wookie-Chick* View Post
    Comment: Chrissie Hynde and the problem with caring what celebrities think

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/comment-chrissie-hynde-and-the-problem-with-caring-what-celebrities-think/ar-AAdM5u1?li=AA59yp&ocid=

The Drum
    Lauren Rosewarne 6 hrs ago

ABC Chrissie Hynde has said women can bring about their own rapes.

Social media and a lazy press have created a culture where we're supposed to care what Chrissie Hynde says about rape. But holding a celebrity up as role model is laughable, and ultimately our problem, not hers, writes Lauren Rosewarne.

In Ricki and the Flash, the ageing rock star wannabe of the title (Meryl Streep) has an American flag tattooed on her back. She'd voted for Bush. She supports the troops, she hates Obama, yadda yadda, she's vaguely homophobic.

Ricki's politics are barely a minor point in film, but work as a timely reminder that often rock stars are a bundle of contradictions. We often assume because they earn their dollar in the creative industries that they'll have counterculture views. That they'll be progressive and subversive and left-leaning in the ways that we associate with living-on-the-scent-of-an-oily-rag artists.

Sometimes, however, they'll jar us by being all gunned-up and a card-carrying Republican.

Chrissie Hynde.

Another ageing rock star although certainly no wannabe.

Night in My Veins is one of my all-time favourite songs. I'm not going to claim it's necessarily feminist - a) I don't choose my music based on politics; and b) I'm not going to waste my 700 words addressing the "which feminism" question - but the song is sexy and powerful and provocative.

Hynde, truth be told, is at the helm of much of the music on high rotation through my ear buds.

So how does it feel when a favourite musician publicly claims that women can bring about their own rapes? That she, apparently, brought about her own gang-assault? How does it feel to hear her use the word "prostitute" as a term of disparagement?

Has she let me down? Has she let the sisterhood down?

To channel my inner schoolmarm, in fact, she's only let herself down.

Sure, Hynde has spoken words that conflict markedly with my own views. And she's defamed sex workers, insulted rape victims and gifted get-out-of-jail-free cards to scumbag perps. But her contribution to my life is restricted to her music. I didn't expect better of her, I didn't expect anything of her. That there's such an outcry is attributable to the fact that there's simply too much interest in the thoughts/actions/(mis)deeds/dining habits of celebrities.

Hynde is not an idol, her function in my life isn't to teach me about society or about politics. She isn't my moral beacon. Sure, she's perhaps given voice to my love/sex/angst/anomie at times, but holding her - holding any celebrity - up to role model status is ridiculous. They're ordinary people with the foibles, ill-informed views and contradictions akin to the rest of humanity. Expecting more is laughable.

It's always worthwhile putting a spotlight on sloppy journalism and the kind I'm thinking about today centres on those "celebrities react" articles. Letting us know, say, what Taylor Swift thinks about the American pastime of firing bullets into random strangers.

Pushing aside the relevant questions about why a celebrity reaction is worth repeating in news media, rather, I'm interested in the consequences of such reporting. Instead of just letting celebrities thrive in their fields of expertise, alas, social media and a lazy press have created a culture where we're supposed to care what people who can sing/act/kick think about politics, gun control, sexual violence.

There's an argument to be made that it'd be good for someone like Hynde to use her platform for good, not evil. Sure. But from Hynde's - albeit warped - perspective, she is. She's speaking a truth as she sees it. That we're listening and electing to get riled up is more our problem than hers.

Dr Lauren Rosewarne is a senior lecturer in the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Melbourne.
    Wonder what Dr Rosewarne's attitude to Polanski's child rape is? Nothing to do wirh his " creativity"
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy83 View Post
    I agree with Chrissy Hynde. If u go around dressing & acting like a slut weather ur drunk or not you are going to get treated like one.
    I'd rather behave like thunder & lightening.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by suzy83 View Post
    I agree with Chrissy Hynde. If u go around dressing & acting like a slut weather ur drunk or not you are going to get treated like one.
    This poor woman should have listened to you and not driven a slutty car, either.

Woman raped in car park of Cheadle John Lewis store - BBC News

(Link is safe; it's the BBC news website)

Fuck off
    Because this needs to be requoted again and again. Once is not enough.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Fuck off
    I agree, this can't be quoted enough.
    Kittylady likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

fucking proxy turned my post into a wall of text so I deleted it. Anyway...I was saying this made me rethink her song Tattooed Love Boys. To me, Chrissy was the ultimate badass chick, maybe she'd rather think that of herself than admit she was ever a victim. The lyrics - The mid twenty joys around a heart that's black and blue Tattooed love boys I tore my knees up getting to you 'Cause I needed To find out what the thing was for Been reading But man the time came to exploreI went apewire 'cause I thought Like I'd like it little tease But I didn't mean it But you mess with the goods doll, honey you gotta pay, yeahA good time was guaranteed for one and all The tattoos did target practice in the hall While waiting for their number to get called out I, I, I, I found out what the wait was aboutI was a good time, yeah, I got pretty good At changing tires upstairs bro I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was forNow I see you All impressed and half undressed You got paint stick all over the scars and lumps and bumps Tattooed love boys Have got you where I used to lay Well ha ha too bad, but you know what they say "Stop snivellin', you're gonna make some plastic surgeon a rich man"Oh, but the prestige and the glory Another human interest story You are that
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    Sure, if you are trying to be safe, don't get so drunk, don't wander around withough friends naked, don't do drugs...etc....but none of those things excuses rape or prevents you from being the victim if it happens. Poor girl.
    that's my point. my beef is with feminist circles who accuse you of being a rape apologist if you point out that while victims are never to blame for their rapes, there's nothing wrong with telling girls and women not to make themselves targets and not to do stupid shit like get so drunk you pass out/black out at a crowded party. it's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Wonder what Dr Rosewarne's attitude to Polanski's child rape is? Nothing to do wirh his " creativity"
    i'm with dr. rosewarne's. and re: polanski - how does any of that change his movies? he's a great director who's made some great films, even if he is a massive asshole. his personal life and actions don't change anything regarding his talent and his work. 'chinatown' is still 'chinatown', and it's still a fucking amazing film, regardless of whether or not you think he's a rapist.
    czb, Mivvi21 and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that's my point. my beef is with feminist circles who accuse you of being a rape apologist if you point out that while victims are never to blame for their rapes, there's nothing wrong with telling girls and women not to make themselves targets and not to do stupid shit like get so drunk you pass out/black out at a crowded party. it's just common sense.
    But (in an ideal world) a girl should be able to drink as much as a guy. You don't hear too many young men being told not to drink and pass out because if they get bashed/robbed/thrown out of a moving vehicle they must have made themselves a target. My issue is the focus seems to be on telling girls how to minimise harm to themselves when the real message should be to men - DON'T RAPE WOMEN!
    Lalasnake, Tati and Kittylady like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^^
    i agree. but we don't live in an ideal world and i live in the real world, not the world i want. yes, of course men need to be told not to rape and there needs to be better education about consent in general but there will always be rapists out there. there will always be bad people out there, period. just because there shouldn't be, doesn't mean you should live your life as if there weren't, just to make a point about a principle.
    Belt Up, rollo, Mivvi21 and 6 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I agree. Don't be a fool. I think Chrissie was recognizing that at the time she was foolish and she's trying to offer some advice out of a very personal experience. It's great to theorize and get outraged but it actually happened to her and she must have been analyzing it for years with the benefit of hindsight and trying to get some perspective on it. I don't necessarily think she needs professional help either because she is 'wrong.' It's her story and she seems to be talking about minimizing risk and being alert and conscious of your surroundings and what's wrong with that?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She isn't 'wrong'; she's wrong.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information