Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Chris Rock Divorcing Wife Of 19 Years

Elite Member

Bloody AWESOME post Mel!

Being in an unhappy marriage would be a bit like a prison sentence, i guess.

It would be a massive weight on your shoulders that only a divorce could help free you from.

But i do like the idea of Married people who live in separate houses so neither party feels 'caged in', as they would living under the same roof as their spouse.

Just imho.

I guess I've been under a rock because I haven't heard anything bad about Chris Rock. I hate it for their kids.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Just saw he's already on vacation with some broad.

After 40 some odd years of marriage I can vouch for "tired of being married". When this happened I rode it out and the feelings came back and I'm glad I stayed People expect marriage to be wonderful all the time, when it doesn't fulfill your every dream it's time for divorce. I'm so glad my husband and I stayed together. Things are better now that the kids are grown married and have blessed us with grandchildren. all the stresses are over with and we can enjoy doing things together that we never had the time or money for years ago. i'm not saying divorce isn't valid, my daughter divorced her first husband and it was for the best. But giving up because you are "tired of being married" is a cop out.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

^Not always, I think it's honest of him if he's basically admitting he's never going to stop chasing other women so why stay married and both of them remain miserable? I don't know if that's the case, but it's just as valid as trying to ride it out.
    witchcurlgirl and czb like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

sometimes riding it out isn't the right thing to do. Not all relationships are forever and there's nothing wrong with that. And sometimes people have just come to the end, no need to get all judgey and think they expected it to be 'wonderful all the time, and when it doesn't fulfill their every dream it's time for divorce'. No one knows what was going on in the marriage. Its great for you that you stayed and worked it out, but that doesn't make it the right choice for everyone

Divorcing after twenty years together doesn't necessarily mean failure, I'd say it was successful. It's longer than many marriages or relationships last.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; January 7th, 2015 at 07:24 AM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I never saw anything wrong with copping out or wanting to end something. If the relationship served you well, stay together, not together, what's the big deal? It's not till death do us part, it's usually till we run each other into the ground so we have to spend twice as long recovering and building ourselves back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I never saw anything wrong with copping out or wanting to end something. If the relationship served you well, stay together, not together, what's the big deal? It's not till death do us part, it's usually till we run each other into the ground so we have to spend twice as long recovering and building ourselves back up.
    Wow! Kind of sad thinking. I never said divorce was an option people should never consider. There are many many cases where it is a good idea. When I "rode it out" that doesn't mean at the end I am just tolerating it, i mean the feelings came back and I loved him all over again and glad I didn't give up. Just sounds so defeatist to give up after 19 years because "he was tired of being married". I thought being "judgy" is what we do on these boards.
    sluce, Kittylady and Palermo like this.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

But maybe he was just tired of being married. And if he was then that's a good enough reason.

Its great for you that the feelings came back. But surely you understand that it doesn't always happen for others.
    sputnik likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Plus they have been down this road before and tried again. Obviously I don't know his wife but she seemed pretty humourless to me.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I see all sides of this but I understand Nana's point because I have seen too many couples in therapy because they are bored. They feel like they have fallen out of love but haven't started relationships with others yet. Often if they stick with it, and work on it, they get back to love again and are thankful they didn't just walk away. I have also treated too many who years after their divorces feel like maybe they should have stayed a little longer to work it out. In this case it does appear that they made a second effort and we don't know why he is tired of being married. Maybe it is because he is tired of cheating and knows he will not remain faithful and his wife is not interested in an open relationship.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

While I think more on the Nana side of things, I can see how people might drift from each other or undergo some kind of life event that changes them so profoundly that the other person doesn't feel like they are married to the same person any more. Things like cheating (finding out that a spouse slipped up and did it - or does it repeatedly), or some kind of mental issue (that isn't treated or the person won't treat), or something else could really change one spouse's idea about who they are married to and whether the marriage is worth salvaging.
    Palermo likes this.

The highest rising rate of divorce is among older couples, I was reading about this fairly recently. It seems that in some cases people spend many years in a marriage, then the kids are out on their own and the couple realizes they have nothing in common, or have grown apart over these years. People do change, and their interests change, etc. They decide they don't want to spend their remaining years in a marriage that doesn't work for them and they divorce. No cheating or anything, just 'hey, i have one life and i want it to be happy'. I don't think many people decide to divorce lightly either, and I don't judge those who do by thinking 'Oh if only they had rode it out'. If marriage makes you happy,then stay married. If it doesn't, then divorce. It's an agreement, not a prison sentence.
    sputnik and politesse like this.

Some interesting (to me anyway) statistics:
    Since 1990, the divorce rate for Americans over the age of 50 has doubled, and more than doubled for those over the age of 65. At a time when divorce rates for other age groups has stabilized or dropped, fully one out of every four people experiencing divorce in the United States is 50 or older, and nearly one in 10 is 65 or older

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Some interesting (to me anyway) statistics:
    I wonder if it has to do with women of the older generations having coddled and taken care of their husbands' every need (like my mom has)....previous generations of men have often gone straight from mom's house to marriage with the expectation of not having to do anything much to contribute to the household outside of their employment...and women waking up and realizing it's a bullshit deal. Kind of like how when a man dies, the wife often never remarries, but when a woman dies, the husband tends to remarry within a year or 2.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information