Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Chelsea Handler: You are evil if you have no girlfriends

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    That's your experience. Mine is quite different. I'm afraid I've never been able to stomach friendships with Alabama-style very conservative women. I'm talking right-wing frothers, the kind who worship Ayn Rand, not your every day country club Republicans. Just try maintaining a relationship with a Sarah Palin clone who believes progressive women are baby killing whores and women who are raped were asking for it in some way.
    Fair enough. Luckily, I've never met anyone like that. I think I'll stick with the Country Club Repub friends I have. We may not agree on everything..but they are good people.

I think anyone who still supports Todd Akin at this point might be a bit of a misogynist. To sum up his philosophy:

1. Raped women can't get pregnant
    2. Abortionists perform abortions on non-pregnant women
    3. Employers who pay women less than men to do the same work are expressing their "freedom" and the Government shouldn't get involved.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think anyone who still supports Todd Akin at this point might be a bit of a misogynist. To sum up his philosophy:

1. Raped women can't get pregnant
    2. Abortionists perform abortions on non-pregnant women
    3. Employers who pay women less than men to do the same work are expressing their "freedom" and the Government shouldn't get involved.
    Fine.. but just because you're a registered Republican doesn't mean you support or even agree with Todd Akin. In fact, I'd bet there are more Conservatives who think he's a whack job than think he's right.

One of my BF's is very conservative and she wrote a letter of disgust to Akin after those comments. She also hates Rush.

I'm just over people stereotyping Republicans as racist and misogynistic. It's simply not true. I'd defend Dems too if the situation were reversed..but that's definitely not needed on this board.

But that's what the republican party is about these days.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    Fine.. but just because you're a registered Republican doesn't mean you support or even agree with Todd Akin. In fact, I'd bet there are more Conservatives who think he's a whack job than think he's right.

One of my BF's is very conservative and she wrote a letter of disgust to Akin after those comments. She also hates Rush.

I'm just over people stereotyping Republicans as racist and misogynistic. It's simply not true. I'd defend Dems too if the situation were reversed..but that's definitely not needed on this board.
    I do sympathize with old-guard Nelson Rockefeller-style Republicans who are struggling to keep modern-day Robespierre/Tea Party types from taking control of the party.
    laynes likes this.

Politicians of all parties have forgotten who the hell they work for. As long as we keep electing extreme officials we will continue to have this see-saw effect repeat itself every election cycle. Policies will get repealed, laws will be vetoed, and any progress made will be halted due to an inability to compromise. It's like children the way they refuse to admit an idea might be good just because they didn't come up with it. I am sick of the whacko, extreme nut jobs in both parties. I think the party system should be abolished, forcing every candidate to candidly admit his or her true beliefs on a topic, not just line up with "party values."
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

While I can see that it might be difficult for women with opposite political views to have a deep friendship, it does happen. And I don't see why someone's being right wing would stop them from having important, long lasting friendships with women who shared the same beliefs.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I do sympathize with old-guard Nelson Rockefeller-style Republicans who are struggling to keep modern-day Robespierre/Tea Party types from taking control of the party.
    And failing, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I have more male friends than female friends, always had. But my bff and I have been together for almost 30 years now. I'm more suspicious of people with lots of friends, but no one they've known for years.
    Bingo. I have a (former) friend like this; after being close to her for a while, I realized why she has no old friends--at least, that she still talks to more than the occasional FB "like" or once-in-five-years phone call. She uses people up. People get weary of her dysfunctional drama and move on; or she senses they're about to and pushes them away. She's attractive, smart and charming, though, so she's always got a new assortment of friends in one stage or another of the process. Agree, it's a huge red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Kinda like a pet rock.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post

I agree that there is tremendous variation along both halves of the axis. People are complex. The media doesn't want us to remember this. They like everything dramatically polarized and as hateful as possible.

I have Republican friends who are feminist, back abortion/choice etc., are atheists and hate bible-thumpers, and would like us to pull out of international warfare (because it's fiscally insane, lol, of course.) My husband's one of them. My hippie friends like him, because they can tell he's fundamentally a gentle soul. He actually likes them too, and gets stoned with them. Heh. Which even I don't do anymore.

I think a lot of people tend to follow their upbringing and their parents. It's harder than one might think to entirely break away from that. In my husband's case, he loved his extremely conservative, British-born Army father and feels a kind of sick disloyalty to him when he thinks about dropping the Republican party. So he calls himself an Independent now. And look who he married, miss earth crunchy pagan oddball.

Also, again, everything is just so fucking polarized and sensationalistic. It's sickening. Like Obama freaks my conservative friends and family out in a knee-jerk way, even though if you grill them it becomes apparent that they are not actually against a lot of things he's done/advocated--specifically. (Some posters here feel he's not a true liberal/progressive anyway...) But you reach into the past, when the world didn't seem so crazy and it's different. My husband really liked Bill Clinton, still does. The other day he said he'd vote for Bill if he could run again.

I just hate all the simplifying and hating going on right now so much. I know that sentence kind of doesn't make sense....
    Butterfly, Waterslide and Flygirl like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Politicians of all parties have forgotten who the hell they work for. As long as we keep electing extreme officials we will continue to have this see-saw effect repeat itself every election cycle. Policies will get repealed, laws will be vetoed, and any progress made will be halted due to an inability to compromise. It's like children the way they refuse to admit an idea might be good just because they didn't come up with it. I am sick of the whacko, extreme nut jobs in both parties. I think the party system should be abolished, forcing every candidate to candidly admit his or her true beliefs on a topic, not just line up with "party values."
    This is why I wish more people knew about Gary Johnson.
    Jexxifer and Flygirl like this.

I hate that it seems racism has gotten worse, and not just whites to blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    That's your experience. Mine is quite different. I'm afraid I've never been able to stomach friendships with Alabama-style very conservative women. I'm talking right-wing frothers, the kind who worship Ayn Rand, not your every day country club Republicans. Just try maintaining a relationship with a Sarah Palin clone who believes progressive women are baby killing whores and women who are raped were asking for it in some way.
    We are talking about Angelina and she is none above. As far as I know AJ is very liberal, so why doesn't she have friends?
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I can maintain a relationship with anyone I like or care about, regardless of their political beliefs. It is all about respect, and if they don't respect me enough not to cram their beliefs that they know I don't agree with down my throat, then they don't respect me enough for me to call them a friend. Political issues, spirituality and religion can be extremely personal issues; you never know why someone feels the way they do about a certain issue, so who are we as humans to judge? I will be glad to share with anyone my beliefs and the reasoning behind them, but I have never tried to persuade or convert them to think and feel the way I do. I am always interested in listening to others beliefs and what caused them to feel that way, but I am adament about it not turning into an argument. Personal insulters need not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    And failing, unfortunately.

Bingo. I have a (former) friend like this; after being close to her for a while, I realized why she has no old friends--at least, that she still talks to more than the occasional FB "like" or once-in-five-years phone call. She uses people up. People get weary of her dysfunctional drama and move on; or she senses they're about to and pushes them away. She's attractive, smart and charming, though, so she's always got a new assortment of friends in one stage or another of the process. Agree, it's a huge red flag.

I agree that there is tremendous variation along both halves of the axis. People are complex. The media doesn't want us to remember this. They like everything dramatically polarized and as hateful as possible.

I have Republican friends who are feminist, back abortion/choice etc., are atheists and hate bible-thumpers, and would like us to pull out of international warfare (because it's fiscally insane, lol, of course.) My husband's one of them. My hippie friends like him, because they can tell he's fundamentally a gentle soul. He actually likes them too, and gets stoned with them. Heh. Which even I don't do anymore.

I think a lot of people tend to follow their upbringing and their parents. It's harder than one might think to entirely break away from that. In my husband's case, he loved his extremely conservative, British-born Army father and feels a kind of sick disloyalty to him when he thinks about dropping the Republican party. So he calls himself an Independent now. And look who he married, miss earth crunchy pagan oddball.

Also, again, everything is just so fucking polarized and sensationalistic. It's sickening. Like Obama freaks my conservative friends and family out in a knee-jerk way, even though if you grill them it becomes apparent that they are not actually against a lot of things he's done/advocated--specifically. (Some posters here feel he's not a true liberal/progressive anyway...) But you reach into the past, when the world didn't seem so crazy and it's different. My husband really liked Bill Clinton, still does. The other day he said he'd vote for Bill if he could run again.

I just hate all the simplifying and hating going on right now so much. I know that sentence kind of doesn't make sense....
    ^All of that sounds like my life experiences in one way or another. Yes, I know plenty of people who don't share my every belief and I get along with them just fine. I wouldn't keep someone around me who's fanatical about about something I disagree with, so maybe that's why I don't find myself automatically shutting down every person I meet who likes "the other side".

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    We are talking about Angelina and she is none above. As far as I know AJ is very liberal, so why doesn't she have friends?
    Angelina's politics do lean right, especially on foreign affairs. I don't remember what newspaper it was, but she wrote a piece where she outed herself on her views, though I don't think many people paid attention to it. She also has claimed she's a fan of Ayn Rand and we know what that means! LOL I'm sure she's not Sarah Palin right, and that she's very liberal in other ways, though.

Of course that has nothing to do with whether she makes friends and keeps them or not...
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

Angelina's politics do lean right, especially on foreign affairs. I don't remember what newspaper it was, but she wrote a piece where she outed herself on her views, though I don't think many people paid attention to it. She also has claimed she's a fan of Ayn Rand and we know what that means! LOL I'm sure she's not Sarah Palin right, and that she's very liberal in other ways, though.
    I remember that piece. It wasn't very well written or thoughtful, but it was clearly right leaning. I lost all interest in Jolie when I found out she was a Rand fan-girl.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information