Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Charlize Theron on her son & her dogs: ‘They’re all my children, love is love’

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    She was comparing her dogs to her child. Before I had children, my pets were my children, but once I had my own baby, the pets weren't on the same level as my kids. Not that I don't love them. I do, but they are not the same for me. I don't know how I would survive the loss of one of my children. One of my dogs or cat? Very, very sad. There would be grieving, but it would not be the same. I understand the very deep love people have for their pets, and I get some people are closer to their pets than some family members, but comparing a human child to a pet and saying you love them the same? That is a hard concept for me to understand.
    It's extremely hard for me too. I understand loving and missing a pet as much as a family member but I would compare it to the pain of losing a beloved grandparent or your favourite aunt. Losing my child is simply unthinkable to me. Doesn't mean I don't love my cat. I do, she's pretty great but the relationship doesn't compare and it just sounds way off the way Charlize puts it.

I'm wondering how much is being a movie star and a bit kooky or whether perhaps the fact that she adopted the child means she doesn't feel that connection in the same way. It seems strange to me because all adoptive parents I know love their kids to insanity and there are awful bioparents out there but it was just a passing thought.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

I've lost my beloved grandparents, and my favorite aunt. I've also lost multiple pets. For me there is no comparison. There are moments when I still cry over the losses of the humans, and while I miss the dogs and think of them fondly it's not remotely the same.

Everyone is different of course, but I can't relate to the comparison.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    ^ Except Sean Penn? If you give an interview about how much you love your son and your dogs then there seems to be a glaring omission.
    And where's the problem with that?
    witchcurlgirl and rollo like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Oh sure, it's not my problem!
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Damn she's gorgeous. I will never understand why she is with Sean Penn.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    She was comparing her dogs to her child. Before I had children, my pets were my children, but once I had my own baby, the pets weren't on the same level as my kids. Not that I don't love them. I do, but they are not the same for me. I don't know how I would survive the loss of one of my children. One of my dogs or cat? Very, very sad. There would be grieving, but it would not be the same. I understand the very deep love people have for their pets, and I get some people are closer to their pets than some family members, but comparing a human child to a pet and saying you love them the same? That is a hard concept for me to understand.
    My husband is INFURIATED by this concept (of people being on the same level as a pet). He practically turns purple with rage if people even say it. I do understand where he's coming from. If your pet and your child are both in danger and you have to save one, people would save their children. They are not the same as pets and I think it's insulting to say they are.
    brindle and Clubber Lang like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Maybe hearing it in her own voice would make more sense. I have loved every dog I have owned but my love for them comes NO WHERE close to my love for my children. I have lost three dogs in my life and it put me into a funk for months each time. But to lose a child? I just don't think I'd ever smile again.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Sounds like she has lots of love to give to everyone in her life. Can't see anything wrong with that.
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I've lost my beloved grandparents, and my favorite aunt. I've also lost multiple pets. For me there is no comparison. There are moments when I still cry over the losses of the humans, and while I miss the dogs and think of them fondly it's not remotely the same.

Everyone is different of course, but I can't relate to the comparison.
    I can but then I lost the "love of my life" in my late teens; getting this dog, not being able to have kids, she's re/awakened/given an outlet to something I haven't felt for years. I wouldn't kill anyone that hurt my dog, I would torture them slowly over an open flame for a number of days. Shit, if my house was on fire I'd rescue the dog before MrN, but I claim that is for "practical reasons". Needless to say, the dog chooses me over the Mr even when sausages are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    My husband is INFURIATED by this concept (of people being on the same level as a pet). He practically turns purple with rage if people even say it. I do understand where he's coming from. If your pet and your child are both in danger and you have to save one, people would save their children. They are not the same as pets and I think it's insulting to say they are.
    How ridiculous, she isn't saying that at all; she's not even saying that she loves them equally just that love is love & she loves them all; she doesn't quantify her love.
    Belt Up, Honey, SHELLEE and 6 others like this.
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree with NickiDrea and others. While animals are wonderful, they are not on the same level as children. Just... not even remotely close.
    Still, not sure that that is exactly what Charlize was saying here....

eta: if my spouse claimed that he would choose the dog over me in the event of a fire, he'd be out on his ass. I genuinely cannot understand that mindset, that sounds like mental illness.

First of all, Charlize chooses to fuck Sean Penn so her opinions are suspect to begin with.

For me, my dog is a living thing I chose to take care of for the rest of his life, not until it's no longer convenient. We moved states, to another country, he went with us. If he's sick, he got better health care than we do. He is dependent on me for his food, shelter, health and wellbeing. I've been responsible for all of these needs for 16 years and I've gotten 16 years of him enriching my life with love and loyalty.

No, pets aren't human and yes they're different, but my dog is just as much a part of our family as children would be and it sickens me to play "choose who you'd save in a fire, a child or dog." Just as sick as asking which of your 2 kids you'd save if you could only save one.

So I really don't appreciate the mental illness comment.
    KrisNine, czb, Belt Up and 19 others like this.

^^A thousand likes to you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    First of all, Charlize chooses to fuck Sean Penn so her opinions are suspect to begin with.

For me, my dog is a living thing I chose to take care of for the rest of his life, not until it's no longer convenient. We moved states, to another country, he went with us. If he's sick, he got better health care than we do. He is dependent on me for his food, shelter, health and wellbeing. I've been responsible for all of these needs for 16 years and I've gotten 16 years of him enriching my life with love and loyalty.

No, pets aren't human and yes they're different, but my dog is just as much a part of our family as children would be and it sickens me to play "choose who you'd save in a fire, a child or dog." Just as sick as asking which of your 2 kids you'd save if you could only save one.

So I really don't appreciate the mental illness comment.
    I am not the one who began the "who would you choose" game. I just commented on it.

I also didn't say that a dog cannot enrich a life... I have one and I love her to death. But, making the comparison between the two (child vs dog or spouse vs dog) is just ridiculous. Yet again, comparing a dog and a child is in no way like comparing "which of your 2 kids you'd save". What an asinine (unhealthy) belief.

I don't mind that you don't like my comment. I've accepted it and moved on.

Nice, asinine and mental illness just because you disagree with someone--name-calling always makes a point so eloquently.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Nice, asinine and mental illness just because you disagree with someone--name-calling always makes a point so eloquently.
    Referring to her beliefs as asinine and questioning Novice's mental health (for the dog over the husband in a fire comment) ... yes. Those are names. Definitely.

So... I own a snake and a tarantula. These pets are beloved to me. They depend on me for food, health care, and shelter. They enrich my life in ways that only other exotic pet owners would understand. Their livespan can last 20-25 years. If I stated that I would save them in a fire over my husband, or that I loved them as I do my children... would you think me asinine and mentally unstable? Yes. And you would have every right to.

Elite Member

My dogs are my whole world and i would save them, over some annoying human any day of the week .. i get on better with plants and animals than i do the human race.

i can completely see where Charlize, ConstanceSpry, Novice and Pwry are coming from.

Many years ago, i *think* it was Woody Allen (yes i know).. posed the question along the lines of.. "In the event of a major fire, and you could only save one of the following two things..

A: Your worst enemy in the whole world.. or B: William Shakespeare's old original book of all his work and thoughts.

Which would you choose? .. i would ALWAYS pick Willie S/speare's book .. why put up with your enemy's bullshite anymore?
    Kathie_Moffett and Mivvi21 like this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information