Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: CBS pulls Rihanna Song as Thursday NFL Opener in Wake of Ray Rice Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    I don't condone violence but to me, this is first world problems. He is making his money as a football player. Plays games that people watch.
    Domestic violence is first, second and third world problems. Doesn't matter how rich or poor you are, or how much privilege you have in your life. If your partner is responding to you with his/her fists, it's time to GO. I was never beaten, but I was in a verbally/psychologically abusive relationship. Once I came to my senses I got out. No one deserves to be mistreated to the point of suffering bruises or attacks on their self-esteem.

Not even a Kardashian.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

James Brown delivers powerful speech about domestic violence

Originally Posted by whitetigeress I don't condone violence but to me, this is first world problems.
    i just can't with this shit.......

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

He should not have hit her. Women also need to learn to keep their hands to themselves.
    I am not sure if they have a history of DV but spitting on someone is a violation that is both disgusting and aggressive.
    oh and I may have to go back and read the OP, but I think they're changing the opening to make it a more somber affair, not because it's Rhianna.
    BITTER and Flygirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Whose business is it if she stays or not??? Just maybe she's not being abused!! Maybe they are working it out in therapy!! Maybe he's not OJ and her the next Nicole!!
    um, hitting someone so hard you knock then unconscious isn't something that should be "worked out in therapy", it's something the aggressor deserves to go to jail for. it's a violent crime. simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    This looked like Ali knocking out Sonny Liston. It's just pure luck that her jaw or eye socket didn't end up broken. She's in danger even if she doesn't see it, and so is every other woman who has a man that slaps her around. I'm sure a very small percentage of these couples can get therapy and stay together, but I would doubt most can. Violence begets violence, and it almost always escalates. If someone I loved was the woman in this situation I sure as fuck wouldn't be recommended therapy and counseling.
    this.
    i'm not a fan of riri's music but the nfl choosing to address this by silencing a domestic violence abuser is telling of what exactly the nfl thinks of women. they have so many players facing or who have faced domestic violence charges, it's scandalous. and the only reason they're "addressing" them is because of public outcry. and i'm sure the nfl isn't any better or worse than other sports leagues. the real culprit here is the whole hero worship culture that surrounds professional athletes, and the organisations around them that enable their awful behaviour and cover up their scandals as long as they're bringing in the millions.

i despise professional sports organisations not just because of the sexism but because of the entire culture of greed and impunity and corruption. the only thing i watch is tennis because so far they seem to be somewhat less culpable, or at least there are less players doing godawful shit like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The NFL fans trying to change the narrative with all this "well she maybe pushed him, well she was arguing with him, well women need to learn to keep their mouths shut and their hands away" bullshit...I just can't. It was the same shit with Rihanna. 'Well she was arguing with him, well she grabbed his phone." The implication is the same: Women are still expected to be pristine, mute, passive creatures and only then do they "earn" their victimhood and we can safely be outraged at their treatment.

I don't give a fuck what the women said. Short of pulling a weapon and threatening their partners' lives, there is absolutely zero justification for beating someone's head in and throwing them out of a car (Chris Brown) or punching them in the face and knocking them unconscious (Ray Rice). Why are these assholes excused from basic human behavior? What kind of monsters resort to hideous violence because someone they claim to love dares argue with them, or says something they don't like? Is Ray Rice going to do the same to his kids one day? Knock them unconscious because they "talked back"? What rarefied world do these men live in in their heads, where they cannot be challenged?

I can only judge by the video. The almost calm way Rice punches his wife makes me think this is not the first time. What's truly sociopathic is the way he makes no move at all to help her or give her any kind of first aid after she's knocked unconscious. Instead he drags her out of the elevator like a rag doll and immediately bullshits a security guard to cover up his behavior. She could be dead for all he knows in those minutes, and it's chilling that he doesn't appear to care at all save for covering his own ass.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

The NFL doesn't know how to react to this because they don't really care about domestic violence. They only care because the public outcry is going to affect their bottom line through their advertisers. That's why they underreacted in the initial wrist-slap 2-game suspension, and why they overreacted by pulling Rihanna's song.

The Rices, those two are fucked, but we're not their family or friends who love her, so I'm a big proponent of the public leaving her alone. She's had enough abuse to deal with as a victim, especially since she chose to stay and she won't learn until she's ready anyway. If anything, people telling her what to do and berating her will only make her dig her heels in more.

Not him, he needs to feel the full brunt of the consequences of what he did. We, the public as citizens, consumers and employers, should ALWAYS respond like this to domestic violence aggressors so that the message is heard loud and clear that it is unacceptable and you ARE a feral asshole criminal if you do this. It's NEVER ok, never justifiable and you deserve to go to jail for it, simple, full-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Domestic violence is first, second and third world problems. Doesn't matter how rich or poor you are, or how much privilege you have in your life. If your partner is responding to you with his/her fists, it's time to GO. I was never beaten, but I was in a verbally/psychologically abusive relationship. Once I came to my senses I got out. No one deserves to be mistreated to the point of suffering bruises or attacks on their self-esteem.

Not even a Kardashian.
    I wasn't talking about the violence being a first world problem, I was referring to the whole media attention and portrayal of it all. Why? Because he's a football player?! The fiance was quoted saying he busted his ass getting where he is. That's where my .02 came in.
    If you re-read my post, I mentioned everyday people, ANYwhere who truly bust their asses.
    You're very right, domestic violence or abuse of any kind is a problem every where and between anyone in the world. And also correct that no one deserves to be mistreated to the point of suffering bruises or attacks on their self-esteem.
    And I too, was in both a mentally and physically abusive relationship. Like I said, I DON'T condone the violence.

They only care because the public outcry is going to affect their bottom line through their advertisers.
    ^^
    Hm mm *nods

I find it bizarre that Obama and Biden feel the need to get their two cents out there on the matter.
    Drive-by poster

Why? Aren't they allowed to have opinions on abuse? They're people too.

And Biden was responsible for the Violence Against Women act back in the early 90's, so it's not like he's just jumping on this now.
    sputnik, sluce, Brookie and 4 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The NFL fans trying to change the narrative with all this "well she maybe pushed him, well she was arguing with him, well women need to learn to keep their mouths shut and their hands away" bullshit...I just can't. It was the same shit with Rihanna. 'Well she was arguing with him, well she grabbed his phone." The implication is the same: Women are still expected to be pristine, mute, passive creatures and only then do they "earn" their victimhood and we can safely be outraged at their treatment.

I don't give a fuck what the women said. Short of pulling a weapon and threatening their partners' lives, there is absolutely zero justification for beating someone's head in and throwing them out of a car (Chris Brown) or punching them in the face and knocking them unconscious (Ray Rice). Why are these assholes excused from basic human behavior? What kind of monsters resort to hideous violence because someone they claim to love dares argue with them, or says something they don't like? Is Ray Rice going to do the same to his kids one day? Knock them unconscious because they "talked back"? What rarefied world do these men live in in their heads, where they cannot be challenged?

I can only judge by the video. The almost calm way Rice punches his wife makes me think this is not the first time. What's truly sociopathic is the way he makes no move at all to help her or give her any kind of first aid after she's knocked unconscious. Instead he drags her out of the elevator like a rag doll and immediately bullshits a security guard to cover up his behavior. She could be dead for all he knows in those minutes, and it's chilling that he doesn't appear to care at all save for covering his own ass.
    I agree with every word.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Why? Aren't they allowed to have opinions on abuse? They're people too.

And Biden was responsible for the Violence Against Women act back in the early 90's, so it's not like he's just jumping on this now.
    That's great, I'm not disagreeing with their opinions. No public statements are made when these kinds of stories are reported single day in the news, including murder as a result of abuse. Why this time? I don't remember if they had a statement when it was Rhianna who was abused? Glad they spoke out, just thought it strange.
    Drive-by poster

I feel about abusers the same way that I do about pedophiles. Maybe they "act right" for awhile, but it doesn't last. He hits you once, the first time there is a big fight, BAM. She showed him already that there weren't any consequences from her.
    rollo and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I do agree with all of you. I just take the stance that if a woman is going to raise her hands, then she should be prepared for the fall out. IMO, she wasn't a passive victim in all of this.
    I can only kind of agree with this. If a woman decides to put her hands on a man, then he has a right to defend himself, whether it be to restrain her or push her away, but to straight up jack her in the face is total abusive bullshit in my opinion. Agree with me or not, men are typically stronger than women, especially those who are athletes by profession. For him to full on punch her in the face is animalistic.
    sluce, sputnik, chartreuse and 3 others like this.

I do agree with all of you. I just take the stance that if a woman is going to raise her hands, then she should be prepared for the fall out. IMO, she wasn't a passive victim in all of this.
    This argument is being used by perpetrators of violence to defend themselves and make sure that the victim gets blamed.
    I think it's pretty obvious that she's a victim of awful violence and from the video it looks like this wasn't the first time and it wasn't an accident.
    She was just defending herself and reacting to an unbelievable amount of violence.
    Unless you think she should have stayed completly passive the whole time - and is even this possible? - then the only "consequence" she should face is to see him in jail and very far from her. IE: justice for him and help for her as a victim.
    Kittylady likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information