Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton adopted a baby girl: Edith Vivian Patricia Upton

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I wonder if they adopted the baby here in the US? I've read that Mrs. Hugh Jackman (sorry forgot her name, Debra?) said that it's very difficult to adopt in Australia, there's a lot of red tape. Then it mentioned that Cate and her family are moving to the states soon. Maybe there's a correlation? I believe she mentioned age restrictions as a problem in Aus. under 40's, so that's why I was wondering but who knows. She's a lucky baby though, seems like a loving family and having all those brothers is fun.
    It's very very difficult to adopt over here (Oz). People are usually on a waiting list for many years and even then they have to be incredibly lucky. My guess is she has adopted in the US.

^^^It is also extremely difficult to adopt in the US, especially if you are trying to adopt a healthy (white) baby. Minority children are a little easier to adopt. But the fees are very high and there is a lot of red tape as well.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

As one who works with adoption in the US every day, it's pretty easy to adopt if you are rich and arrange a private adoption. You are still held to the same requirements to finalize the adoption, but you will not wait as long. If you go through an agency you will wait, and face some restriction such as age limits. At least through an agency the birth families and adoptive families receive counselling. That is not required through private adoptions. Personally, I believe private adoptions should not be legal.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Can an Australian, living in Australia (or who's main residence is in Australia) adopt in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yeah she should have totes gone with something cool like mackenzi or jaidyn or braylee.....
    Or Edyth Vyvyan Patrysya Shyloth Upton?

Edith - Lady Edith, Downton Abbey, Edith Head, Edith Warton. In the top 400 most popular names in the US, apparently....

I wonder if this announcement was forced....
    Last week an airline passenger, who took the first snap of baby Edith Vivian Patricia Upton with her famous mum and posted it under the handle Gob Smacked, told Daily Mail Australia that Cate flew from LAX to Australia on her own with the bub, seemingly without a nanny.
    The onlooker reports the Blue Jasmine actress waited patiently with other passengers at the luggage carousel with the baby in her arms and was accompanied only by a 'Qantas helper'.
    Andrew, 49 - who married Cate 17 years ago - revealed to The Daily Telegraph outside their Hunters Hill home in Sydney last Saturday that they're 'thrilled' with their new addition.
    Free Charmed.

[QUOTE=Novice;3320863]Can an Australian, living in Australia (or who's main residence is in Australia) adopt in the US?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine a foreigner would have the ability to do that easily? But then $$ talk I guess.
    Novice likes this.

Australia and the US participate in the Hague Convention governing adoptions. Citizens from countries that participate may adopt from the US. Most agencies will not work with them, but private adoption is still an option. They would have to meet all legal standards in the US for placement. Then when returning to their home country they would file paperwork for citizenship the child and follow whatever regulations are in place from the home country for International adoptions.
    Linne likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Australia and the US participate in the Hague Convention governing adoptions. Citizens from countries that participate may adopt from the US. Most agencies will not work with them, but private adoption is still an option. They would have to meet all legal standards in the US for placement. Then when returning to their home country they would file paperwork for citizenship the child and follow whatever regulations are in place from the home country for International adoptions.
    Thanks Sluce. I wondered how that all happened.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I wonder if they adopted the baby here in the US? I've read that Mrs. Hugh Jackman (sorry forgot her name, Debra?) said that it's very difficult to adopt in Australia, there's a lot of red tape. Then it mentioned that Cate and her family are moving to the states soon. Maybe there's a correlation? I believe she mentioned age restrictions as a problem in Aus. under 40's, so that's why I was wondering but who knows. She's a lucky baby though, seems like a loving family and having all those brothers is fun.
    From what I've read in the wake of this news you can be looking at $40,000 (Australian) and up to eight years of paperwork/wrangling to complete an adoption in Australia, and that's only when you've actually got approval to adopt in the first place. That sounds pretty shite to me and leaves little hope for older kids in the system as they may well age out before anything is finalised.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

fgg

^i recently looked into adoption in the US and it was going to cost us $35-40k and about 2 years.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Cate Blanchett reveals she and husband Andrew Upton adopted new daughter Edith from the United States as she's quizzed about Australia's tough adoption laws

By Aap Reporter

Published: 19:42 EST, 15 March 2015 | Updated: 04:38 EST, 16 March 2015

Cate Blanchett has revealed she adopted her new baby girl from the US.
    The actress and her husband Andrew Upton recently welcomed a baby girl, Edith, into their family of three boys and Blanchett spoke briefly about her new daughter in Sydney on Sunday night.
    The actress was quizzed about the adoption laws in Australia when she made the revelation.

+4

American baby: Cate Blanchett has revealed on the red carpet at the Cinderella premiere in Sydney on Sunday night that she and her husband Andrew Upton adopted their baby girl Edith from America

Cate Blanchett says her children don't watch her films

'I think it is ... well I haven't been through it here. It was in the United States,' she told Fairfax Media.

'There's a lot of children out there that don't have the good fortune of our biological children so it's lovely to welcome a little girl. We're besotted,' she said.
    The actress was walking the blue carpet in Sydney to promote her latest film, Cinderella, in which she plays the wicked stepmother.

+4

'It's very exciting': Cate's husband, playwright Andrew Upton, told Daily Mail Australia the family were thrilled about the new addition at the premiere of Cinderella in Sydney on Sunday

+4

Bringing her home: The Oscar-winning actress was seen holding her new daughter at Sydney airport earlier this month

+4

Vocal: Hugh Jackman and wife Deborra-Lee Furness moved to the US to adopt their two children, and have campaigned to make the process simple in Australia

SNAPSHOT: ADOPTION IN AUSTRALIA

• A report titled Adoption Rethink released by Women's Forum Australia last year found there were just 339 adoptions in Australia from 2013 - 2013, a decline of 96.6% in the number of adoptions in the last 40 years

• By comparison, there are an average of 127,000 in the US each year, and the figure is rising

• The report found that Australia has one of the lowest rates of adoption among OECD countries

• Adoption campaigner and wife of Hugh Jackman Deborra-Lee Furness has said of her experience trying to adopt Down Under: 'The major problem in regards to adopting in Australia is the waiting time from the beginning of the process to actually picking up your child - it can take up to eight years. It is expensive too - costing up to $40,000 to adopt a child.'

Speaking about the recent adoption of their daughter, playwright Andrew told Daily Mail Australia: 'It's very exciting'.
    The beaming father hit the blue carpet at the iconic State Theatre ahead of his Oscar-winning wife who made a glamorous entrance in an A-line pink and purple patterned dress by Serbian designer, Roksanda Ilincic.
    Another high-profile Australian couple that have been outspoken about their support of adoption is Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness.
    Deborra was nominated to be Australian Of The Year after her tireless campaigning to make the adoption process simple Down Under.
    The A-list pair have spoken previously about being forced to move overseas to be able to adopt their children, as the process has become near impossible in their home country.
    The blonde beauty has more recently launched the Adopt Change campaign to lobby for national adoption law reform and even created National Adoption Awareness Week.
    'For decades there was no talk around this, nothing was shifting, our kids in Australia were languishing in foster care,' she has said.
    Earlier this year she met with Prime Minister Tony Abbott to discuss improving the adoption process in Australia.

fgg

where do all of the babies go in australia? or do people not really give up children for adoption? i can't imagine what is happening to all of those kids if there were only 339 adoptions in 2013.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    As one who works with adoption in the US every day, it's pretty easy to adopt if you are rich and arrange a private adoption. You are still held to the same requirements to finalize the adoption, but you will not wait as long. If you go through an agency you will wait, and face some restriction such as age limits. At least through an agency the birth families and adoptive families receive counselling. That is not required through private adoptions. Personally, I believe private adoptions should not be legal.
    Is private adoption an exclusively US thing? Are our laws more lenient out of compassion in hopes of more adoptions or just to make money? I know our surrogacy is more lenient than most other countries but I wasn't aware that our adoption was too. I would hope that's a good thing, bringing families together but after reading what you wrote, I'm not so sure now. Private adoptions sound not just unfair but potentially dangerous.

First her statement, 'There's a lot of children out there that don't have the good fortune of our biological children so it's lovely to welcome a little girl. We're besotted,' is bullshit. Based on the photo she adopted a healthy infant. That child was in no danger of not being placed in a wonderful home. The kids who not have the good fortune are those who languish in foster care but that is not who she adopted. I am not saying she should be forced to adopt an older child but let's not pretend she is some savior who rescued a healthy infant from the many other couples who would have killed to parent her.

Each state sets their own laws for adoption but must comply with Hague. There are several issues of great importance to consider when adopting:

Termination of parental rights - Some states allow a birthparents to terminate their parental rights after 72 hours. Yes, 72 hours after giving birth the law says they are of sound mind and can sign an irrevocable voluntary termination of their rights to their child. I am not fan of that process and do not feel that 72 hours gives enough time for a mother, often young, to decompress from the physical and hormonal process of giving birth, much less make such a decision.

Allowable Expenses - some states allow for counseling of all parties. Others, like Pennsylvania, allow only for the expenses that directly benefit the child. This often includes medical care of the mother, housing, clothing and food as she bakes. However, they do not allow for counseling. It blows my mind that this expense is not viewed as benefitting the child so that all of their parents know what they are getting into. In PA the way around this is to use an agency where they provide counseling any way. Private adoptions often mean that no parties have counseling. They just sign papers. The adoptive family will be reviewed through the home study process but there is no mandatory counseling.

Finalization and sealing of records - some states allow the adoption to be finalized quickly. Others require a wait of more than 6 months. All states issue an amended certificate of birth listing the adoptive parents as the parents. Some then seal the original certificate preventing even the adoptee to access this document when they are adults. No other citizens are denied this right but adoptees are treated as second class citizens.

Open Adoption - most adoptions these days have an element of openness. Research shows this benefits all involved BUT it is also used as a marketing ploy to get young women to give up their baby with no legal protection for the agreement. I have witnessed several placements now where the adoptive parents promise ongoing contact, but once the adoption is finalized they say they changed their mind and block all communication. The birth family has no recourse since no states recognize open adoption agreements. So far I have not seen this happen in an agency placement because - you guessed it - they all had counseling and worked through their issues and agreements in advance.

The adoption laws are set up to favor the adoptive families who are the ones who pay all the fees and have the power.
    Kittylady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    where do all of the babies go in australia? or do people not really give up children for adoption? i can't imagine what is happening to all of those kids if there were only 339 adoptions in 2013.

They go into foster care. I have a friend who is a foster carer and she has three siblings in her care. She has had each of them since birth.

While I know about the child protection system from working in it as a lawyer, I know nothing about adoption in Australia. That's all firmly under the banner of Family Law and Shit I Don't Practice. But from the spruiking that Furness has done, it seems to be inordinately complicated to adopt in Australia. Surrogacy is also unlawful in most states.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information