Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood warns fans she may not look the same after ‘freak random accident’

She looks fine and she's a singer not an actress so she'll be fine even if her looks do suffer.

Reading these posts makes me think of a conversation I had with a carpenter. He told me that all typical steps on a stair case in the US are 6 inches. And because of this our brains are subconsciously programmed to step up or down at 6 inch intervals. Older homes will often be dangerous for older people living in them because if the house settles the steps can get thrown off. Even 1/4 inch can be enough to cause someone to fall down the stairs. He pointed out that escalators have 5 inch steps because the goal of an escalator is "lift" not walking, so the platform isn't designed to be walked up but to be a little ledge to stand on. That's why it's so weird to walk down an escalator that has been turned off.

I just thought it was interesting the way he explained that we're essentially programmed to take 6 inch steps since all the steps around us are measured that way. He said people falling down staircases or tripping go up steps aren't "clumsy" at all, the staircase wasn't made right.

That's interesting and makes sense.
    Timetoout likes this.

At my old job the top step was slightly taller than the rest so countless colleagues fell up it.
    Timetoout likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Just this morning I slid down the carpeted steps on my socks and landed on my butt. Now the area around my tailbone hurts like hell. This is gonna be a crappy day.
    Last edited by crayzeehappee; January 4th, 2018 at 08:39 AM.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Quote Originally Posted by Timetoout View Post
    Even 1/4 inch can be enough to cause someone to fall down the stairs.
    reminds me of this: WATCH: Everybody Trips on This One Subway Stair | TIME.com
    Timetoout, Witchywoman and Mrs P like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Timetoout View Post
    She looks fine and she's a singer not an actress so she'll be fine even if her looks do suffer.

Reading these posts makes me think of a conversation I had with a carpenter. He told me that all typical steps on a stair case in the US are 6 inches. And because of this our brains are subconsciously programmed to step up or down at 6 inch intervals. Older homes will often be dangerous for older people living in them because if the house settles the steps can get thrown off. Even 1/4 inch can be enough to cause someone to fall down the stairs. He pointed out that escalators have 5 inch steps because the goal of an escalator is "lift" not walking, so the platform isn't designed to be walked up but to be a little ledge to stand on. That's why it's so weird to walk down an escalator that has been turned off.

I just thought it was interesting the way he explained that we're essentially programmed to take 6 inch steps since all the steps around us are measured that way. He said people falling down staircases or tripping go up steps aren't "clumsy" at all, the staircase wasn't made right.
    The steps leading to the gym at my office are extra wide, so I hate walking down them because they make me feel like my balance is off.
    Timetoout likes this.

My parents top step in their attic is taller than average, it's always SO weird to step now. You have to consciously think about it every time otherwise you'll fall. They also have weird extra long steps going up to the front door, it's always awkward walking up. Do you take two steps? One extra long one?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The shared house I lived in after leaving home was quite old and had Stairs Of Death - very narrow treads and steep enough to be mistaken for the north face of the Eiger. You always felt like you should be backing up against the front door to take a run at them to get up, a bit like the steep treadmill obstacle in Gladiators. It was funny as fuck one night though; two of the lads in the house got completely wasted on Pernod and blackcurrant and were trying to get up the stairs to crawl into bed. They kept getting part way up and then losing control of their legs and sliding down to the bottom on their bellies. The rest of us ended up sat on the floor in the hallway with drinks and munchies crying with laughter as we watched them fail over and over again.
    VeraGemini likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by crayzeehappee View Post
    Just this morning I slid down the carpeted steps on my socks and landed on my butt. Now the area around my tailbone hurts like hell. This is gonna be a crappy day.
    I think I bruised or broke my tailbone. Happy days!!!
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

So sorry to hear this, crayzeehappee- sounds really painful. Go get it checked out if you can and get a donut cushion!
    crayzeehappee and Wisher like this.

My stairs are a death trap. I have to warn people about them. Prior owner was some artist and did all this 3D tile work on three flights. We're talking moons, suns, frogs, lizards, random half tea cup, other random stuff. Vibrant colors. You seriously have to hold onto the banister to make it through. People always ask when I'm going to "fix it" - my response is that actually, one reason why I liked the house was because of the stairs, even though I fell a few times the first year.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Wisher like this.

I just saw a tweet about this and I realized... her making an announcement about it only DRAWS attention TO any type of scarring. If she just had some work to correct it, allowed it to heal, and made an appearance in full makeup I doubt many people would have even noticed. Now everyone will be looking for it.
    holly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    My fat makes me bounce and saves me.
    THIS! This is why I have never broken a bone in my life!
    Wisher, Kittylady and gas_chick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    THIS! This is why I have never broken a bone in my life!
    I'm fat, my ass not so much, lol! Which is probably why it hurt like the devil after I fell backwards off a bench right on my flat-ish ass. I feel ya, crayzeehappee, I was super sore for days after, especially when getting up from a sitting position...

There's a photo here of her "new" face (couldn't redo the formatting enough to make it legible here). I don't see a difference, but I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a crowd anyway.

Carrie Underwood shares full photo of face after getting 50 stitches | Daily Mail Online

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information