Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree712Likes

Thread: Carrie Fisher suffers massive heart attack on plane

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    all the baby boomers are starting to pass away, so i don't think it's going to get better.

i would have thought she had a blood clot cuz of the airplane ride. does air flight aggravate heart conditions? she's so young. this is so sad. i hope she's not stabalized as in 'she's on life support and her heart is working so she's stable right now'.

she maybe had what rosie o'donnel had, that widowmaker blockage. those are the insta-killers for younger people.
    My dad survived a widow maker at 44. He was in the ER when it hit. Took them nearly 4 minutes to get him back.
    Wisher2 and Annika like this.

My dad survived one of those in his 50's. Here's why it's particularly scary:

He has never been overweight a day in his life, always been active and fit, always doing something physical (working...as a contractor he would be right up there with his workers, working out in his gym) watched what he ate, never smoked and only an occasional beer. The reason his wasn't a massive heart attack was because the extra soreness he was feeling in his chest and arms when he woke that morning that hadn't gone away by breakfast and getting ready to head out the door led him to take 4 aspirin tabs.

He and his right hand on a major job were driving around checking up on workers on a hot day. The guy finally convinced him to go to a walk-in clinic down the road from a job site when he still wasn't feeling right by about 10am. The clinic ending up sending him directly to the hospital, where he had a balloon angioplasty w/stent placed. They said the aspirin he took that morning probably saved his life. Here he was running around (working, working out!) with a major blockage! Completely hereditary. Same thing that killed his (also thin and fit) father, my grandfather, at 68.

Knowing what I do now, he was extremely lucky. He could have been working out in his gym downstairs and dropped dead. That was almost 20 years ago now. And he's still going. He is his own boss so I know he will never retire. That is not the first time he cheated death. (A flight he was supposed to be on crashed after he cancelled plans at the last minute).

His remaining siblings ended up getting cardiac screenings after that. He's number 3 of 6 and the oldest two are already gone. But they smoked and/or drank like fish and ate all kinds of shit.

I really hope Carrie pulls through.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

"Probably brought on reading the script and got to the part where she finds solace for the loss of Han in Jar-Jar's arms."
    -some Farker
    VeraGemini likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    2:46 PM PT -- We're told when the plane landed paramedics worked on Carrie for 15 minutes with CPR before they were able to get a pulse. She's currently at UCLA Medical Center on a ventilator.

Carrie Fisher Suffers Massive Heart Attack on Plane | TMZ.com

Yeah baby.... be a fighter Carrie!!!!

Flip a bird to 2016. Tell it, it ain't taking you. No fukin way !!!!
    Brookie and Wisher2 like this.

MsDark, thanks for that post. It may just save someone here. Glad your dad made it.
    Wisher2 and Bombshell like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

My father has had 4: 1 in his late 40's, 3 in his mid 60's - still alive and kickin' - still smokes, drinks.
    Typical stubborn-as-hell italian/baby boomer.

My dad, who has been smoking and drinking his entire life is still here (alive), while my uncle, who was the epitome of health - a marathon runner, didn't drink/smoke, ate well, treated his body like a temple, no medical history of anything [being wrong], not to mention one of the nicest men I've ever met - died in his mid 40's after a quick 10 min run on the treadmill. He laid on the couch to relax after his workout and died (in his sleep) shortly after. We later found out that a blood clot had formed in his leg then traveled to his heart.

The body is an amazing/complicated thing.
    My mother is the most toxic person I've had the displeasure of knowing, in every sense of the word. Never has there been a bottle of any mind-altering substance placed in front of her face that she hasn't/won't consume. We offspring joke that she's going to outlive all of us...

Because life is fair like that.

Anyway... As for updates on Carrie's condition, the TMZ page hasn't updated since yesterday, but per USA Today:

Carrie Fisher stable but being treated in intensive care unit

Carrie Fisher is being treated in an intensive care unit after a serious medical emergency on a flight, according to her brother.
    On Friday night, Todd Fisher told The Associated Press that his sister was receiving excellent care, but said that he could not classify her condition.

He had earlier told the AP that she had been stabilized and was out of the emergency room.

In a subsequent interview, he said many details about her condition or what caused the medical emergency are unknown, and much of what had been reported was speculation.

"We have to wait and be patient," he said. "We have so little information ourselves."
    TMZ and the Los Angeles Times reported that the actress, best known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars film franchise, was on a flight from London to Los Angeles when she went into cardiac arrest. TMZ reports that the emergency occurred about 15 minutes before landing, and an EMT on the plane administered CPR before landing. The plane arrived just after noon PT and Fisher, 60, was rushed by paramedics to the UCLA Medical Center.

Source: Carrie Fisher stable but being treated in intensive care unit
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Bronze Member

I'd say Carrie's situation isn't looking good. I'll guess that the family is gathering and making burial and service arrangements, so it's all in place when they announce her death. I'm not a doctor, but 15 minutes of being deprived of oxygen is a certain brain death, unless a miracle happens.
    Wisher2 and I'mNotBitter like this.

That there have been no real updates about her condition has been worrying.

I am the embodiment of Snark, but not in this case. I'm hoping for the best, but this really doesn't sound good.
    Brookie and Wisher2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My dad survived a widow maker at 44. He was in the ER when it hit. Took them nearly 4 minutes to get him back.
    wow. your dad is very lucky! to be in the ER saved his life most definitely. give him a big hug next time u see him!

i didn't realize carrie was 60 already, for some weird reason i thought she was in her mid fifties. so is it 'heart attack' or 'cardiac arrest' cuz i know arresting isn't always caused by a heart attack. she woke up saying she couldn't breathe and puked. i would have thought she may have had a pulmonary embolism. on the other hand puking is common in heart attacks, so who knows.

if she didn't have a heart attack and it wasn't an embolism, maybe she was scared to fly and knocked herself out with some medication (although i assume she's clean right now) and alcohol and had a deadly reaction? who knows... i hope we do soon. i have only seen the first star wars movie but she's fricking ICONIC! and a really funny open lady to boot! i've read a lot about her. hard life, but brilliant lady, being a script doctor especially.

i do hope she is one of the miracle stories but, i remember thinking 'if anyone's gonna get out of a coma joan rivers will, that woman's tough as they come'. unfortunately it doesn't matter how tough you are in your head, your body is unforgiving of past sins and abuse. poor carrie.

^ I thought she had a heart attack which caused cardiac arrest.

Have they said her brain was deprived of oxygen for 15 minutes, or that they performed CPR on her for 15 minutes? There's a HUGE difference there. The initial report said there was an EMT on board, and the flight attendants, while not as experienced as the EMT, would have had some CPR training, too. Even a completely untrained, clueless passenger could help a lot with a trained person showing them what to do, and doing the count. Any oxygen at all slows or prevents brain damage.

What I wouldn't give to read "she's resting comfortably" or something.

Poor Debbie and Billie.

What a Christmas.

My dad had a heart attack a few years before he passed. My mom took him to the doc's and the doc told him he was having one. He refused an ambulance and made my mom drive him to pay bills before he went to the hospital. My dad was one of a kind.
    sprynkles, BITTER and lindsaywhit like this.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

My dad would have done the same thing.
    crayzeehappee likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    Have they said her brain was deprived of oxygen for 15 minutes, or that they performed CPR on her for 15 minutes? There's a HUGE difference there. The initial report said there was an EMT on board, and the flight attendants, while not as experienced as the EMT, would have had some CPR training, too. Even a completely untrained, clueless passenger could help a lot with a trained person showing them what to do, and doing the count. Any oxygen at all slows or prevents brain damage.
    This was the information in the first reports on the incident:
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    If they'd been working on her for 10 minutes before the paramedics took over and then it took the paramedics another 15 minutes to get a pulse and reports are that she is on a ventilator, I'm not so sure that "stable" is necessarily hopeful......
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information