Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Cara Delevingne Quitting Modeling: It Made Me Hate My Body & 'Didn't Make Me Grow'

She was able to begin modelling because of mommy and daddy, and because of family money + connections she's got enough to retire without worrying, and now move onto forcing her presence onto the big screen rather than just magazine covers.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    She's definitely not to everyone's taste, but if she were objectively ugly, she would probably not be on the cover of every major fashion magazine, multiple times.....
    I guess you could say the same thing about Gisele Bundchen and Helena Christensen...or Alek Wek.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I guess you could say the same thing about Gisele Bundchen and Helena Christensen...or Alek Wek.
    Awesome point, Bitter. I think Christensen has a great face. Wek has a very distinctive face and great body. I just Googled for covers with Bundchen, and they seem much more likely to be a full-body shot. I don't think what sets Bundchen apart is her face, unlike Delevingne.
    BITTER likes this.

I googled her name and pug, and I did get two results that compared Kim K with her, but not Cara Delegngne.
    That's why I have to spread the word.

The only objective measure of beauty I've ever heard of is symmetry. Most factors are entirely subjective. I don't think Delevingne's brows have been a beauty standard since prehistoric times (please don't take that literally and google, lol). And then there is her porcine nose and sullen mouth. I think she's fug, as do a lot of people, and I don't see why our opinions on a subjective matter are any less valid that those of the editors of Vogue.
    Novice and redcat like this.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    She was able to begin modelling because of mommy and daddy, and because of family money + connections
    I agree. I don't think Cara's privileged background and industry connections should be held against her, but she was not subjected to the cesspool aspect of modeling, e.g., being pimped out to rich guys to make rent. Furthermore the same things that she's complaining about regarding modeling are present in acting.

According to her, "if someone is crossing a line, they will know about it and so will everyone else,” so presumably we will eventually know if she going to walk her talk and speak out against the "injustices" she witnesses/experiences in real time, or if she will suck it up and then complain after she's moved on to the next thing.

ETA:
    This reminds me that quite a few of actresses, actually the lucky ones, generate significant income from fashion and beauty contracts. I would be curious to see over a three year period how much of Charlize Theron, Halle Berry and Julia Roberts' income came from their acting work versus their fashion and beauty contracts.
    Last edited by dougie; August 19th, 2015 at 02:31 PM.
    redcat likes this.

Awesome point, Bitter. I think Christensen has a great face. Wek has a very distinctive face and great body. I just Googled for covers with Bundchen, and they seem much more likely to be a full-body shot. I don't think what sets Bundchen apart is her face, unlike Delevingne.
    Bundchen uses her hair and her hands to hide/camouflage her manly horse face a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I think she's fug, as do a lot of people, and I don't see why our opinions on a subjective matter are any less valid that those of the editors of Vogue.
    Probably because Vogue and a lot of other magazines are putting money on the line regarding her looks by putting her on the cover. If she were so repellent that magazine browsers would recoil in horror and not even pick up an issue, I think that would probably be figured out with an initial huge drop in magazine sales when she was first featured. But it seems like that didn't happen - more like the opposite - since they put her back on the cover multiple times.

Lauren Hutton is one of the few models with atypical looks that I consider to be truly a beauty...the rest are either two-face or out and out fug.

Lauren Hutton is one of the few models with atypical looks that I consider to be truly a beauty...the rest are either two-face or out and out fug.
    I love Lauren Hutton, too.
    BITTER likes this.

^^^Crazy about her...she's flakier than a box of cereal, but I love looking at her.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

^^^Crazy about her...she's flakier than a box of cereal, but I love looking at her.
    I fell in love with her as a kid, watching her in the movie "Paper Lion". She was playing Alan Alda's gf, and she was trying to tackle him in a game of touch football. I remember thinking, "I want a cute girlfriend who wants to tackle me."
    BITTER likes this.

I'm not a big fan of hers at this time but am open to seeing what else she does. I'd like to hear more people complain about the modeling industry. I have a friend right now who has metastatic breast cancer while in her 30s, and she admitted to me yesterday that when she dropped a lot of weight from being sick she felt, finally, so good to be thin that she almost didn't care that it was because of cancer, and that of course she recognizes that as a sick line of thinking, but how do you really halt those distorted perceptions when you've spent a lifetime absorbing the message that you're supposed to be take up less space in every way, physically, verbally?

And I appreciate it that someone is biting the hands that feed her, because if not, if everyone who supposedly has "made it" and is doing so fantastically remains mute, then isn't everyone else left to think that what they're doing truly is as great as it seems, that it's something to aspire to? When it actually isn't? So she made a decent amount of money modeling, and got some acclaim doing it -- doesn't mean she liked doing it. Doesn't mean she's supposed to say how fucking great it was.
    Belt Up, stef and holly like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Hit By Ban Bus!

She's 24 now ....majority of working models that are not in the "famous" or "supermodel" expire at her age anyway...25 is ancient in that industry.

i think she's really cute. i'd probably fall for her charms, as many famous women have.
    dougie and Beeyotch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Ah, she has made the rare crossover from modelling to acting at a relatively young age. Good luck to her!
    Yeah, big deal, she could've just said she's going to concentrate on acting now (because of course Hollywood is only interested in her talent, and not her looks.)

She does have a handful of upcoming projects on imdb. And her quotes there are full of her saying she's always wanted to pursue acting and music. So maybe she'll grace us with an album too. *rolleyes* Sorry if I think she's just a little full of herself, but who knows, maybe she can really act. Time will tell I guess.
    redcat likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information