Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Cameron Crowe Apologizes for Casting Emma Stone as Asian American

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    My favorite (!) was Katharine Hepburn as a Chinese freedom fighter in WW2 in Dragon Seed.

The first time I saw Mickey Rooney in yellowface, I wanted to punch someone.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Nothing beats Marlon Brando in The Teahouse of the August Moon. Really bad movie too.

Omg, these are so wrong!! I've never seen them before.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    looking at that pic of katherine hepburn in dragon seed makes me uncomfortable.
    And she was awful in the movie too. Speaking Pidgin Engrish with a Bryn Mawr accent...
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Captain Allison Ng was written to be a super-proud Hawaiian who was frustrated that, by all outward appearances, she looked nothing like one. A half-Chinese father was meant to show the surprising mix of cultures often prevalent in Hawaii. Extremely proud of her unlikely heritage, she feels personally compelled to over-explain every chance she gets. The character was based on a real-life, red-headed local who did just that.
    given that in this case the character is specifically supposed to be quarter asian but in fact look completely white, it makes sense to hire a white actress to play the part. but even if this particular case isn't one of hollywood whitewashing, it doesn't change the fact that there absolutely is a problem with lack of diversity in hollywood that needs to be addressed.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Greed is more important than accuracy.
    That's all it boils down to. Emma is a moneymaker, never mind that there isn't an iota of Asian in her. Yet, there are plenty of actresses out there (ie: Kristin Kreuk as mentioned by Mohandas) that fit the bill.

Sad really. Sad.
    Annika likes this.

czb

And she was awful in the movie too. Speaking Pidgin Engrish with a Bryn Mawr accent...

usually i like kate on film, but i never saw dragon seed. not so motivated after seeing that pic you posted, either.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post

usually i like kate on film, but i never saw dragon seed. not so motivated after seeing that pic you posted, either.
    I think that there are some clips on YouTube. The whole movie used to be online, but no more.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I just find it a little ironic that just days after an African-American actor was applauded for being cast in a role that was originally a white character, it's a big deal that a white actress is playing a character that by all accounts was supposed to look white in the first place, despite the "Asian" background...

Elite Member

George Clooney portrayed a similar character in The Descendants; don't remember a whole lot of fuss being made about it.

And here is Hawaiian singer-actor Don Ho with his naturally blonde daughter, Hoku:

She doesn't look like a natural blonde to me. Those roots & eyebrows are pretty dark.
    NickiDrea likes this.

czb

who knows?

i have a colleague, 100% chinese-american, dark hair and eyes. she is married to a super-white guy (danish ancestry). their kid has light blond hair but with very asian facial features.

genes are a funny thing ....

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I just find it a little ironic that just days after an African-American actor was applauded for being cast in a role that was originally a white character, it's a big deal that a white actress is playing a character that by all accounts was supposed to look white in the first place, despite the "Asian" background...
    The big deal is that Hollywood has a long and very nasty history of using white actors to play minority roles that could easily have been played by minority actors. I don't know if you're referring to the superhero movie (not sure what it's called) with the black actor taking the role of a white comic book character, but he isn't being "applauded." He had to speak out because of all the racist nonsense that people have been posting online about him because they are angry that he's playing that role.

I agree that in this case the casting seems appropriate because the character is supposed to be able to "pass" as white but I am tired of Hollywood throwing aside minority actors so that white ones can play minority roles (looking at you, Angelina).
    sputnik, chartreuse, Brah and 1 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

Hey, my family is a huge mix of a whole lot of races. I have cousins (brothers) who one looks east indian & the other white with blonde hair & green eyes. We've got all of that in our ancestors and so does their father.

But Don's daughter is dying that hair (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    The first time I saw Mickey Rooney in yellowface, I wanted to punch someone.

This needs to be someone's avi!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Doesn't it look like Mickey Rooney accidentally walked into a glass door?

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The big deal is that Hollywood has a long and very nasty history of using white actors to play minority roles that could easily have been played by minority actors. I don't know if you're referring to the superhero movie (not sure what it's called) with the black actor taking the role of a white comic book character, but he isn't being "applauded." He had to speak out because of all the racist nonsense that people have been posting online about him because they are angry that he's playing that role.

I agree that in this case the casting seems appropriate because the character is supposed to be able to "pass" as white but I am tired of Hollywood throwing aside minority actors so that white ones can play minority roles (looking at you, Angelina).
    Oh, I get that Hollywood has that history ; I'm just confused as to why in this particular instance when, as you said, there seemed to be appropriate casting, there was enough outcry that the director felt the need to apologize.

^^^^^
    Because people are so sick of minorotoes never being cast in movies (and white actors being made up to look more "ethnic" to play those roles) that they just assumed this was again the case in "aloha". to his credit, Crowe not only explained that wasn't the case with this specific character and seems to recognise the overall problem. Still, this movie looks like it will probably suck and the other thing is that it's a movie about Hawaii called "aloha" and yet all the starring roles are white, and the only non-white character written as mixed but passing for white.
    chartreuse and NickiDrea like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information