Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    how do you know someone has died before their time?
    Because they still had green bananas. Sure sign.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't buy green bananas.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Ask Madonna .
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'm pretty sure my 48 year old father would have had a few more years left in him if he'd lived a healthier lifestyle.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I haven't darkened the door of a gym in more than a decade. I don't think people who over-exercise and deny themselves anything enjoyable are going to live longer - they'll probably be crippled with arthritis from all that working out.

Healthy to me is normal, and it sounds like that's what you are (apart from the smoking). If you're reasonably active, eat a fair amount of fresh food and everything else in moderation, that's what I consider healthy. It's the processed junk that I think is going to kill off this generation before their time. In my father's case it was a diet of meat/beer/cigarettes and no exercise that did it, but that was 30 years ago.
    I'm 46 and I ate metric tons of processed food from childhood into my twenties. Still do, occasionally, as long as it's relatively low in fat. Hasn't affected me negatively at all. But I've been running for about 29 years, and going to the gym twice a week for about 27.

Bronze Member

Type 2 diabetes is pretty common in my family but it goes hand in hand with obesity. All the Type 2 diabetics are obese most morbidly obese. I was borderline diabetic for years but after losing over 100 lbs I'm not. My blood work and blood pressure were back to normal after losing just 50 lbs. It may have been normal before that but that's when I had my annual physical. I occasionally watch Paula Deen's show but would never cook of the recipes. Why? Even weighing close to 300 lbs I knew that wasn't what I should be eating. Plus, sometimes I'd plug the ingredients into my recipe program to see check out the nutritional value. If the total calories didn't blow you away the amount of unhealthy carbohydrates and fat especially saturated fat would. It would be great if the nutritional breakdown were given with each of her recipes. A lot of obese people are in denial but if you keep having calorie counts shoved in your face it might actually sink in one day. How did I lose over 100 lbs in 9 months? After trying every reasonable diet out there I found Medifast and it works for me. I really didn't want to go gastric bypass or lap band as I know a couple of people who died from surgical complications from both. I hope Paula Deen gets healthy and doesn't kid herself about how severely she needs to change her diet. Exercise helps but diet is far more important. I really hope she makes her cooking show more healthy and that kid's cookbook is an abomination.

I don't know how my grandfather in law is still alive. He's in his eighties, smokes, eats like twelve pigs, is well past morbidly obese, uses a scooter, has an oxygen tank, sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, can't walk down the driveway without wheezing, and so on. He just keeps on ticking like there's nothing wrong. I don't get it.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

fgg

Paula Deen Shares Her Healthy Chicken Recipe

Celebrity chef Paula Deen has made her living serving up rich Southern cooking, but in light of her diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes, she's preparing healthier meals.

"[My sons Jamie and Bobby] are helping me launch Diabetes in a New Light," Deen told PEOPLE. "Bobby has been working on taking my traditional Southern recipes and lightening them up and making them diabetic-friendly. He's just shocking me with some of the things he's doing to my food that's really, really tasty."

Deen, 65, just revealed her condition on Tuesday although she was diagnosed three years ago. She admits that while she hasn't given up desserts altogether, she has changed her eating habits and is now trying to help her fans eat healthier too.

Check out one of her waistline-friendly recipes, which boasts half the sodium, carbs and fat:

Chicken Divan in a new light

Makes 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 (10-oz.) packages frozen chopped broccoli
    6 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    2 tsps extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (8-oz) package sliced mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    1 (10¾-oz) can condensed fat-free low sodium cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    ½ cup light mayonnaise
    ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    ½ cup + 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
    1 tsp curry powder
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 slice whole-wheat bread
    1 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 2-quart casserole or 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

Remove the outer wrappers from the boxes of broccoli. Open one end of each box. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed. Drain and put into the prepared baking dish. Top with the chicken.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they release their juices and thoroughly brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme during the last minute of cooking time. Add to the baking dish with the chicken and broccoli.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the soup, broth, mayonnaise, yogurt, ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese, the curry powder, and pepper. Pour over the broccoli-chicken mixture and mix well with a spatula.

Grate the bread over the large holes of a box grater to make coarse soft crumbs. Combine the bread crumbs, melted butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in a small bowl until blended; sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, until the filling is bubbly around the edges and the topping is lightly browned, 30-40 minutes.

Per serving (1 cup): 340 calories, 14 g fat (4.5 g saturated, 0 g trans), 105 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.

Note her old Chicken Divan's stats: Per serving (1 cup): 555 calories, 33.5 g fat (13.4 g saturated, 0 g trans), 128 mg cholesterol, 1035 mg sodium, 20.7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 40.7 g protein.

get that money girl
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

canned cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise and curry powder??? seriously?? i'm getting nauseated just from thinking about what that mix would taste like.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's some bullshit right there. Hopefully a new chef will take her spot on the indulgent side of cooking.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    canned cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise and curry powder??? seriously?? i'm getting nauseated just from thinking about what that mix would taste like.
    i bet it would taste like vomit.

so basically paula took a high fat recipe and rachael ray-ized it. yuck

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    It sounds like something made from She Who Shall Not Be Named.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

lol i KNEW who it was before i clicked the link!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I agree w/ Kathy Moffit that this is nauseating, even as a fatso myself. Just the picture provokes a gag reflex.

In keeping with the confessional vibe this thread developed - I have no family history of diabetes, for which I was blessed that my 15+yrs of epic, excessive sugar/dairy fat consumption has only recently developed into the inevitable: early signs of insulin resistance, AKA acanthosis nigricans. If 20yr old type II diabetics can exist, then I thank my lucky stars for my genetics because I've consumed enough sugar in my life since childhood to sweeten all the tea in Great Britian 10x over. Regarding the sign of ac-ni (purplish rash) found while researching POS symptoms, it was the boot in the backside I needed; the possibility of going blind scares the fuck out of me.

In Australia, Big Pharma can't advertise their shit so easily. Rouche tried to advertise some prescription weight loss product on our idiot boxes and it was a weird advert of some woman looking off camera and saying "it's changed my life, but I can't tell you the name. You have to talk to your doctor about it." There were some pharma brand name on my doctor's medical equiptment and stationary, so Big Pharma does try to weasel into the clinics with free stuff... but on the whole they're thankfully hobbled by Aussie regulations. Yay for us.

As a (again) fat self-destructing fool foodie myself, I'd like to agree with the people saying they're uncomfortable with Deen using her platform to promote this drug. For Deen to claim she only eats her own recipes "moderately" and that her diabetes is just a result of aging/stress/whatever, is selfserving - and rehearsed - bullshit (IMO). Dietary change (& exercise) are the first words out of doctors' mouths after they've said "type II".
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

lol i KNEW who it was before I clicked the link!
    lol so did I!!!

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information