Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

(276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My surgeon's office puts the cure rate at a little over 80% in their patients, most in the few days immediately after surgery. I'm hoping to fall into that category but don't have my hopes raised too high.

I've been reading many post Rnyers are developing hypoglycemia though.
    That is why I had the surgery. When I was in the hospital right after surgery they were low low low. Then they went back up and are crawling down again. Of course I've had diabetes for almost 20 years. I am tall (5'7") so my weight is pretty spread out. I'm 8 pounds away from goal. I'm so glad I did the surgery. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Elite Member

Exercise is REALLY important to T2D control. It actually boosts the way the body's own insulin works.

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    That is why I had the surgery. When I was in the hospital right after surgery they were low low low. Then they went back up and are crawling down again. Of course I've had diabetes for almost 20 years. I am tall (5'7") so my weight is pretty spread out. I'm 8 pounds away from goal. I'm so glad I did the surgery. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
    I've had type 2 for nearly 20 years as well, since high school and about 70 pounds ago. My family history is VERY strong... my father is type 2, his parents were both type 1, 2 of his siblings are type 2, few cousins as well. My grandmother died from renal failure from uncontrolled diabetes over many years. My mom's side isn't any better. My surgeon is hopeful for a cure but my PCP is more towards it being much better controlled but with such strong genetics, it always being a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Anyway, at one point my mom was trying to take some messed-up stuff away from my then-75 grandmother, and I'm listening to my mom say, "Mom, the doctor said this stuff will kill you." And my grandmother is replying, "Well if I can't eat this, I don't want to live."
    A lot of people are like that. They may not think of it so bluntly as that, but the idea is the same. I know several people who would be so miserable without eating heavy, calorie-dense foods that they'd probably rather be dead. They're very much of the "something's got to kill you" mindset. It's an addiction like cigarettes, imo - people know smoking is deadly, but they won't stop because they don't want to live miserably.

It's a cost/benefit for each person. To some people eating fattening foods and dying early is worth it, I think.

I'm of that mindset. What exactly is the point of trying to live forever? If you're not feeling sick and in pain all the time, why not enjoy your life? It's short enough as it is, or maybe long enough.

Now, I'm also of the opinion that diabetes doesn't really qualify. There's also no point if you have no legs, or sight, or are hooked up to a damn dialysis machine half the week.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I'm of that mindset. What exactly is the point of trying to live forever? If you're not feeling sick and in pain all the time, why not enjoy your life? It's short enough as it is, or maybe long enough.
    It's not about living forever, it's about not dying way before your time and living a large chunk of your life sick and medicated. Both my parents died early from preventable disease, and I know from having both been a smoker and overweight earlier in life that the healthier lifestyle I lead now is way more enjoyable than the way I felt before when I was borderline asthmatic and uncomfortable with the extra weight. Why does healthy = boring?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Why does healthy = boring?
    It absolutely doesn't, in my opinion.

I don't think healthy equals boring, not even close. If that's what you like then go for it, but most are doing it out of a fear of death and guess what, they're going to die anyway.

I don't want to spend what time I have on this earth denying myself the things that I want and spending too much time working out. Now, most would probably say I have a relatively healthy lifestyle, I eat well 95% of the time, and my family is pretty outdoorsy, so i get a fair amount of exercise doing the things I want to do. But I eat what I want when I want it and I smoke. I'm not going to stop because a bunch of people who are scared want me to spend all my time in a stanky gym and pass up on that piece of pie.

I haven't darkened the door of a gym in more than a decade. I don't think people who over-exercise and deny themselves anything enjoyable are going to live longer - they'll probably be crippled with arthritis from all that working out.

Healthy to me is normal, and it sounds like that's what you are (apart from the smoking). If you're reasonably active, eat a fair amount of fresh food and everything else in moderation, that's what I consider healthy. It's the processed junk that I think is going to kill off this generation before their time. In my father's case it was a diet of meat/beer/cigarettes and no exercise that did it, but that was 30 years ago.

Nope, i don't eat like that. I made a vow before my kids were born that I wouldn't feed them out of boxes and cans. I hate that shit.

But i do smoke, and have zero intention of ever quitting.

^Maybe one day when you stop enjoying it, you might reconsider. I hope so, because I know that I feel better now (in so many ways) than I ever did when I smoked, even though I enjoyed it at the time.

And I'm sure if my dad could have seen how much our family suffered due to his sudden death, he might have quit while he still had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    It's not about living forever, it's about not dying way before your time
    how do you know someone has died before their time?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information