Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

Yeah, I'm sure it's a lot harder to learn to eat better and exercise than it is to get around without your legs.

Many people just can't be bothered. Why watch what I eat when I can take a pill and still stuff my gob? And Deen, with her food and the drug just reinforces that.

Look how many diabetics can come off meds when they put effort in. It's definitely not easy, but it's got to better than the potentially horrific effects of diabetes.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I was always shocked at how fast people got off their diabetes meds after gastric bypass. They often got after dropping the 1st 30 lbs.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post

"Y'all know I told ya, to always rub yo' meat!".
    She actually said that to her sons, on national TV??? Wow, that's really gross.

Hubby has a family history of diabetes (just about everyone on his mother's side, plus 2 of his siblings) and when his aunt was in her 70's, she finally decided she was tired of taking diabetes meds and went on a strict diet. She lost 40 pounds and her blood glucose remained normal for 10 years, until her death from leukemia.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; January 19th, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I was always shocked at how fast people got off their diabetes meds after gastric bypass. They often got after dropping the 1st 30 lbs.

Yep, that's how my cousin was after hers. She was only 20-21 when she had hers and serious weight problems ran in the family. She was on tons of diabetes medication and shortly after dropping the first chunk of weight, she didn't need them anymore. However, after that, she stopped taking the vitamins and protein recommendations and started smoking so her health has become shit again, but that's a different story. I wish I could post her before and after pictures here. They are unreal.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I lost half my body weight. I took the obligatory picture of me posing as I stood with my entire body in just one leg of my big old jeans. It is amazing how much of a change it makes. I hope your cousin gets back to the basic rules.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's a lot harder to learn to eat better and exercise than it is to get around without your legs.

Many people just can't be bothered. Why watch what I eat when I can take a pill and still stuff my gob? And Deen, with her food and the drug just reinforces that.

Look how many diabetics can come off meds when they put effort in. It's definitely not easy, but it's got to better than the potentially horrific effects of diabetes.
    I agree. Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease, pure and simple. You can completely cure it (and most heart disease) by eating better and exercising. I truly don't understand why some people are so afraid of/resistant to changing their diet and getting healthy. Personally, I find the idea of taking drugs (many of which have wonderful side effects such as cancer and potential death) to be more scary. Eating healthy food is a heck of a lot cheaper, actually cures what ails you, and doesn't come with a long list of detrimental side effects. You'd think the choice would be obvious.

It's really a shame that food has such an emotional hold over people.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I think for some people it is. My mom knew a restaurant owner who had type 2 diabetes. I don't think the guy ever got his eating in line with his disease. Anyway, the last time a family member visited him, he was blind and missing at least two limbs. It sounded horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    It's really a shame that food has such an emotional hold over people.
    My mom's mother was on some kind of restrictive diet. I think it was related more to salt and sugar. The salt part was because of her heart, and I'm not sure what the sugar part was. Anyway, at one point my mom was trying to take some messed-up stuff away from my then-75 grandmother, and I'm listening to my mom say, "Mom, the doctor said this stuff will kill you." And my grandmother is replying, "Well if I can't eat this, I don't want to live." When my grandmother passed away, they found bags of junk she shouldn't have been eating squirreled away into all kinds of strange places in the house.

My surgeon's office puts the cure rate at a little over 80% in their patients, most in the few days immediately after surgery. I'm hoping to fall into that category but don't have my hopes raised too high.

I've been reading many post Rnyers are developing hypoglycemia though.

My FIL has diabetes, type 2 i think, but I know he's on Metformin. One week, there's a discussion that the docs have to keep adjusting his metformin. I stop by at lunchtime a week later and he's eating a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie, 2 Twinkies and a Mountain Dew. I looked at him and said, "you know you're not supposed to be eating any of that shit if you're on Metformin? Did your doctor give you any food education?" He just blankly stared at me. I think most people think if they're given a pill, then that's all they should have to do?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Yeah, I had to Google.

Soooo gross and unnecessary.

I thought that was just a joke. I looked it up too. Yuck!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    My FIL has diabetes, type 2 i think, but I know he's on Metformin. One week, there's a discussion that the docs have to keep adjusting his metformin. I stop by at lunchtime a week later and he's eating a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie, 2 Twinkies and a Mountain Dew. I looked at him and said, "you know you're not supposed to be eating any of that shit if you're on Metformin? Did your doctor give you any food education?" He just blankly stared at me. I think most people think if they're given a pill, then that's all they should have to do?
    thats what I thought for the longest time. I am on Metformin and i used to take my pill if i remembered, or if i was having a high sugar meal. No one ever corrected me until i went into Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Had to learn the tough way. I hope your FIL doesn't go through that, it can kill you!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

My grandmother was insulin dependent, my Dad had Type 2 when he died and my brother was diagnosed with it a few years back. He quit drinking, turned vegetarian and started eating healthy and exercising. No drugs required after a very short period and now he's fine and fitter than he's been since he was a teenager. I regularly get my levels checked because of my family history but I guess years of eating fresh food and getting plenty of activity seem to be working.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

That includes insulin shots?

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    She actually said that to her sons, on national TV??? Wow, that's really gross.
    [YOUTUBE]CZQJpSXiZPI[/YOUTUBE]If I weren't already gay, my mother saying this to me, it would make me gay!

Hubby has a family history of diabetes (just about everyone on his mother's side, plus 2 of his siblings) and when his aunt was in her 70's, she finally decided she was tired of taking diabetes meds and went on a strict diet. She lost 40 pounds and her blood glucose remained normal for 10 years, until her death from leukemia.
    Diabetes, hypertension run mad in my family.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    thats what I thought for the longest time. I am on Metformin and i used to take my pill if i remembered, or if i was having a high sugar meal. No one ever corrected me until i went into Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Had to learn the tough way. I hope your FIL doesn't go through that, it can kill you!
    I'm not even sure he knew he was diabetic. When I heard he was on Metformin, I was like, "You're diabetic? Cuz Metformin's for diabetics." He responded with, I guess so. I highly doubt he even checks his blood sugar. When I had gestational diabetes, at Thanksgiving one year, we all sat around pricking ourselves testing our blookd sugar to see how out of whack we are.

He's not obese, but could stand to lose 25lbs or so. He's extremely active. He's 62 and still plays hardball in the senior league and plays basketball every Saturday. Plus he has his paper route, does delivery work for me and coaches my boys in Little League. He doesn't sit for long, so maybe that's what's keeping everything in check? Truthfully, I doubt anything would change with him until he has a life altering incident. Sad, but that's what it would take. And I know because him and hubby are cut from the same cloth. Hubby has atrocious eating habits. He'll eat a whole sleeve of saltines with cheese and Mountain Dew. I said one day, "Do you realize you just consumed 1200 calories on a snack?" He pays me no mind. He won't either, til he's in a hospital.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

My father, my aunt, and my cousin all had type1 diabetes. Myself and all four siblings have type11. My father, my cousin, my aunt and two siblings are all dead. I had gastric bypass surgery 5 months ago. I wasn't terribly big 230lbs. and 199 when I had my surgery. I was on two medications three times a day and insulin twice a day. I'm down to 157 but still need two meds and a small shot of insulin at night. I may never get rid of it completely. It is a lot better though. Sometimes it's not just being overweight. My brother was skinny and he go it, he is one of my siblings who died. All of these people died before the age of 63. I'm 61.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information