Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 663
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

  1. #256
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    53,267

    Default

    Correct.

    I know blacks who live in areas where there is pervasive racism and i can understand their hostility, even though i find it annoying. They also feel I'm a spoiled princess/snot/uppity simply because I haven't had the same experiences they have. I grew up without all that, I got a very good education, and I live a decent middle class life. They just didn't have the same opportunities I did, nor were they allowed to grow up with an excellent sense of self-esteem. They're angry and I can't fault them for that.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  2. #257
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,997

    Default

    Even if Miss Jackson loses her suit, Pauler's dirty laundry has been aired, y'all, and her brand tarnished. She and her attorneys exacted some revenge.

    But who knows, people forgave Don Imus and Dog The Bounty Hunter. I bet Paula will get some supporters from somewhere.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  3. #258
    Elite Member ShimmeringGlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,044

    Default

    I've lived in VA my entire life, but I have to say that I have never experienced overt racism. Now, my grandfather and father used to tell stories about how some of their friends were killed because they dared to have contact with a white woman or how people had their homes burned down because the Klan wanted them out of town. My grandfather used to say that if a black person killed another black person, the only thing they had to do was go to the next county because the cops wouldn't look for them there. If a black person was even accused of killing a white person, they might as well hang themselves on the spot before someone else did.

  4. #259
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,868

    Default

    Australians like to think they're open and accepting, but deep down (or not even that deep) there is a huge part of the population that is inherently racist, but it's the covert kind, like making jokes at the expense of other races and when they get offended telling them to lighten up and grow a thicker skin because it's only a joke, mate! This kind of racism is hard to deal with because on the surface it's supposedly all sunshine and roses but for anyone who doesn't look Anglo it's basically a part of life and they have to learn to put up with it and laugh along. And then all the Anglos feel like they're so tolerant and inclusive (a lot of us are, but a lot are racist arseholes too).
    misrule likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  5. #260
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    23,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Its remarkable how little racism I've run into in my life. I grew up in small town Kansas and nearly all of my friends and boyfriends were white. There were a few passive racists around, but we knew who they were and avoided them, they just weren't part of my life's experiences. The first time in my life I ever experienced overt racism was in Florida. I visited my mother who was working in Ft. Myers for Deion Sanders' charity and the town was literally split down the middle, blacks lived on the west side and whites lived on the east side. I could NOT believe was I was experiencing, and that was at 27 years of age in 1996.

    Yes, i see it here and there, but for the most part, I've escaped the pervasive racism I know still exists. I've lived in Kansas, Arizona, Colorado, and the Denver metro area (DC/MD/VA), also in Belgium, and visited Texas and Oklahoma every summer growing up and I can't even start listing all the places I've visited. Yeah I get a DWB every other year or so, but its nothing that drags down my soul.

    As much as I loved living in Florida (yeah, I know), I found Miami to be the same as you're describing Ft. Myers. It's completely split. Whites to the east and south, blacks to the west of 95, Cubans to the far westside and the Jewish community on the beach. Still, Orange County is hands down the most racist place I have ever lived.

  6. #261
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Australians like to think they're open and accepting, but deep down (or not even that deep) there is a huge part of the population that is inherently racist, but it's the covert kind, like making jokes at the expense of other races and when they get offended telling them to lighten up and grow a thicker skin because it's only a joke, mate! This kind of racism is hard to deal with because on the surface it's supposedly all sunshine and roses but for anyone who doesn't look Anglo it's basically a part of life and they have to learn to put up with it and laugh along. And then all the Anglos feel like they're so tolerant and inclusive (a lot of us are, but a lot are racist arseholes too).
    no offence, but australia's policies and treatment of asylum seekers, is pretty indicative of the racism (and xenophobia) problem in aus. The fact that most people seem to accept it proves your point that a huge part of the population is inherently racist.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  7. #262
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    no offence, but australia's policies and treatment of asylum seekers, is pretty indicative of the racism (and xenophobia) problem in aus. The fact that most people seem to accept it proves your point that a huge part of the population is inherently racist.
    Didn't the "White Australia" immigration policy only recently end in the 1970s or something like that?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  8. #263
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,868

    Default

    ^Yep, exactly. Ask a lot of normal moderate-seeming people about asylum seekers and they'll start talking about "queue jumpers" as if a refugee fleeing in terror is somehow trying to worm their way into the country just to get an all-expenses paid holiday.

    And then if one of those refugees makes a better life for themselves and/or their family, they're either resented or people's attitudes will be "he's actually a good bloke - for a reffo" as if that's somehow unexpected.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  9. #264
    Elite Member SHELLEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    21,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    As much as I loved living in Florida (yeah, I know), I found Miami to be the same as you're describing Ft. Myers. It's completely split. Whites to the east and south, blacks to the west of 95, Cubans to the far westside and the Jewish community on the beach. Still, Orange County is hands down the most racist place I have ever lived.
    True, but when you're out and about in Miami, it's a total melting pot. Everyone mixing together.
    sluce likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

  10. #265
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Didn't the "White Australia" immigration policy only recently end in the 1970s or something like that?
    Yes but it's still going strong in the hearts and minds of many.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  11. #266
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Even if Miss Jackson loses her suit, Pauler's dirty laundry has been aired, y'all, and her brand tarnished. She and her attorneys exacted some revenge.

    But who knows, people forgave Don Imus and Dog The Bounty Hunter. I bet Paula will get some supporters from somewhere.
    Yeah, Paula is a huge celebrity on the Mommy Blogs. They will never reject her. They think she's such a "fine lady". The customers at her Savannah restaurant probably don't care. It's right around the corner from of Thomas Kinkade's personal galleries and further down is a stage for wholesome Christian or patriotic music. A huge number of Savannah tourists are probably there to relive the Antebellum period and sympathize with Paula's ugly nostalgia.

    Yet, she might have gone too far with the revelation that she wanted her dinner party to be served by African Americans in house slave garb. Anthony Bourdain is probably laughing his ass off. The Food Network is tawdry and shameless, so they won't kill her show. But I don't see Paula being invited onto GMA again, and losing a lot of her magazine promotions. Is Whoopie going to boycott her on The View? How about that other hen fest, The Talk or something? If Paula does get invites again, I hope someone lays into her, goes for the big questions, because this woman clearly holds some disgusting racist ideas.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

  12. #267
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Yes but it's still going strong in the hearts and minds of many.
    Too bad. I've been to Australia three times, and each time, the Aussies treated me like I was royalty, inviting me to their homes and beyond charming - I couldn't believe it. I guess maybe because I was a US serviceman at the time and they knew I wasn't going to live there or what, I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Yeah, Paula is a huge celebrity on the Mommy Blogs. They will never reject her. They think she's such a "fine lady". The customers at her Savannah restaurant probably don't care. It's right around the corner from of Thomas Kinkade's personal galleries and further down is a stage for wholesome Christian or patriotic music. A huge number of Savannah tourists are probably there to relive the Antebellum period and sympathize with Paula's ugly nostalgia.

    Yet, she might have gone too far with the revelation that she wanted her dinner party to be served by African Americans in house slave garb. Anthony Bourdain is probably laughing his ass off. The Food Network is tawdry and shameless, so they won't kill her show. But I don't see Paula being invited onto GMA again, and losing a lot of her magazine promotions. Is Whoopie going to boycott her on The View? How about that other hen fest, The Talk or something? If Paula does get invites again, I hope someone lays into her, goes for the big questions, because this woman clearly holds some disgusting racist ideas.
    I'm so waiting for Bourdain to weigh in on this. I'd love to hear what he has to say.

    No matter what happens, the Deen brand/image has taken a hard blow.
    Bombshell likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  13. #268
    Silver Member PeaPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    676

    Default

    My dad used to say, "The only people I'm prejudiced against are assholes."
    JazzyGirl and shedevilang like this.

  14. #269
    Elite Member SHELLEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    21,415

    Default

    I couldn't agree more.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

  15. #270
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Too bad. I've been to Australia three times, and each time, the Aussies treated me like I was royalty, inviting me to their homes and beyond charming - I couldn't believe it. I guess maybe because I was a US serviceman at the time and they knew I wasn't going to live there or what, I don't know.
    Oh not everyone is a racist POS - lots of people are welcoming and friendly. I live in a very multicultural area and I love the fact that there are so many people around who DON'T look like me (not to mention the awesome food) but a lot of insular-minded people are afraid of anything different - but the good part is that once those barriers are broken down and they see that everyone is just like them regardless, they can be very inclusive (for the most part - some will always be racist scum).
    BITTER likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 93
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
  2. Cure for Type I Diabetes?
    By tkdgirl in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •