Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I gotta say, I grew up in the South in the 80's-90's and it was EXTREMELY racist. My family actually moved because my parents were worried I might be psychologically damaged from what I experienced. I moved up North to NJ in the late 90's and definitely experienced some racism but it was less overt and less common than it was in the South. Then I went to grad school in the New England and it was more racist than NJ but less racist than the South. And it was more "polite" racism if that's such a term. Growing up in the South I was constantly called the "n" word and people would say and do awful things to our family. In New England people would make stupid comments like "YOU graduated from college? It must have been a struggle for you considering how you must have grown up." As my parents are actually both successful professionals it was insulting to have people assume I must be poor because I am black.

My opinion from living in 6 different states over 30 years is that the South is the most racist part of the US I've lived in and I would never raise my kids there but racism is definitely everywhere. I still experience it now and I live in the North.
    I don't know much about the south, but having lived on both coasts (and being originally from the west coast), I was shocked at some things I saw/heard while living in NJ. NYC, not so much, but NJ yes, there is an undercurrent of racial issues that cause a bit of tension. My husband is an NJ native and was equally shocked when we moved to the west coast, where it isn't so common to group people by their ethnicity as much as their economic status. Also, because she is the subject: Paula Deen is creepy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Every time I think there are people from the south who aren't racist, up comes someone to spoil it all. I wanted to like her, but this puts it over the top. IF this is true, food network needs to fire her ass. So sad that in this day and age someone still talks like this.
    WTF EVER! I know plenty of people in the south who ain't fucking racist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Excuse me? I love the irony that you're pointing out how we're all prejudiced with your own prejudice.

What the fuck ever.
    My sentiments precisely!

I'm glad that Paula admitted that she has used the word - I mean, she could have perjured herself but didn't. I don't necessarily think Paula is racist because she used the "n" word in the 60's... that's 50 years ago and people can change. Hell, she even had Oprah and Gayle over to spend the weekend with her...
    Bluebonnet and Butterfly like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Here's the thing...parts of the south are still very racists, but it goes both ways. (I grew up in South Carolina in 80s and 90s and still visit often today) You go into certain stores/fast food restaurants and some of the black employees won't help you if you're white. The poor blacks (very often) are hostile to whites and there are lots of black on white crimes. This breeds racism.

I know this isn't going to be a popular post, but it's true.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

well, assholes come in every shade of the rainbow, don't they?
    gas_chick, McJag, Laurent and 8 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    The poor blacks (very often) are hostile to whites and there are lots of black on white crimes. This breeds racism.
    I think you are confusing cause and effect here.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    well, assholes come in every shade of the rainbow, don't they?
    and at every geographic location.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I live in PA and we have lots of racists, but most hide it well. The worst that I see are educated whites who now feel threatened by educated minorities who out perform them in the workplace. If a minority gets promoted they site affirmative action instead of daring to acknowledge that the person has a better education, has worked harder....
    Last edited by sluce; June 20th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
    greysfang and chartreuse like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Every time I think there are people from the south who aren't racist, up comes someone to spoil it all. I wanted to like her, but this puts it over the top. IF this is true, food network needs to fire her ass. So sad that in this day and age someone still talks like this.
    Guess what. There are plenty of peeps from the South that are not racist and plenty of assholes from all over that are.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I gotta say, I grew up in the South in the 80's-90's and it was EXTREMELY racist. My family actually moved because my parents were worried I might be psychologically damaged from what I experienced. I moved up North to NJ in the late 90's and definitely experienced some racism but it was less overt and less common than it was in the South. Then I went to grad school in the New England and it was more racist than NJ but less racist than the South. And it was more "polite" racism if that's such a term. Growing up in the South I was constantly called the "n" word and people would say and do awful things to our family. In New England people would make stupid comments like "YOU graduated from college? It must have been a struggle for you considering how you must have grown up." As my parents are actually both successful professionals it was insulting to have people assume I must be poor because I am black.

My opinion from living in 6 different states over 30 years is that the South is the most racist part of the US I've lived in and I would never raise my kids there but racism is definitely everywhere. I still experience it now and I live in the North.
    I don't know where you lived in the South but I've said it before here and I'll say it again my uncle's family from the Boston area is the biggest bunch of racists I've ever seen or heard and I have lived in the South my entire life. There are plenty of ignorant assholes to go around in the world and they don't all live below the Mason/Dixon line.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; June 20th, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: merged
    MsDark, McJag, Bluebonnet and 5 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Guess what. There are plenty of peeps from the South that are not racist and plenty of assholes from all over that are.

I don't know where you lived in the South but I've said it before here and I'll say it again my uncle's family from the Boston area is the biggest bunch of racists I've ever seen or heard and I have lived in the South my entire life. There are plenty of ignorant assholes to go around in the world and they don't all live below the Mason/Dixon line.
    Are they Southies? Or Northenders?

Have to be Southies right?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Gold Member

I have no doubt that there is a lot of racism in the South, but the racism in the North gets overlooked . I live in a "blue" state and there are a hell of a lot of racists here where I live. Some of the worst racists are in the Long Island and Queens areas. Don't even get me started about Boston's awful history of racism.

There are racists and bigots everywhere and they come in all races, genders, and nationalities.
    Laurent likes this.

Yeah, we just get all the credit for it here in the south... you know, because of that whole slavery issue...
    Sylkyn likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Yeah, we just get all the credit for it here in the south... you know, because of that whole slavery issue...
    My guess is that it's like anything else. By continually and vociferously pointing the finger at the South they can pretend that it ain't happening in their own back yard.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Its remarkable how little racism I've run into in my life. I grew up in small town Kansas and nearly all of my friends and boyfriends were white. There were a few passive racists around, but we knew who they were and avoided them, they just weren't part of my life's experiences. The first time in my life I ever experienced overt racism was in Florida. I visited my mother who was working in Ft. Myers for Deion Sanders' charity and the town was literally split down the middle, blacks lived on the west side and whites lived on the east side. I could NOT believe was I was experiencing, and that was at 27 years of age in 1996.

Yes, i see it here and there, but for the most part, I've escaped the pervasive racism I know still exists. I've lived in Kansas, Arizona, Colorado, and the Denver metro area (DC/MD/VA), also in Belgium, and visited Texas and Oklahoma every summer growing up and I can't even start listing all the places I've visited. Yeah I get a DWB every other year or so, but its nothing that drags down my soul.
    shedevilang, Flygirl and sparkles like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yeah I get a DWB every other year or so, but its nothing that drags down my soul.
    Making a guess here. DWB = Driving While Black?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information