Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Butter-loving Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes/Racism

Paula Deen Admits to Using Racial Slurs, Lawyers Issue Statement

Celebrity News June 19, 2013 AT 3:10PM By Zach Johnson

Credit: Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images
    Paula Deen admitted to using racial slurs during a videotaped deposition on Friday, May 17, according to Radar Online. The butter-loving celebrity chef, 66, was questioned for a reported three hours. When contacted by Us Weekly on Wednesday, June 19, Deen's lawyers, Bill Franklin and Oliver Maner, issued this statement: "Contrary to media reports, Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court."
    The Georgia native is being sued for $1.2 million by her Savannah restaurant's former general manager, Lisa Jackson, who claims the Food Network star made derogatory marks about African Americans. In her March 2012 lawsuit, Jackson alleged that during one conversation, Deen's brother and business partner, Bubba Hiers, said "they should send President Obama to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico so he could n-gger rig it."

In her lawsuit, Jackson also reportedly said Deen appointed her to oversee the catering and staff for Hier's 2007 wedding. When she asked Deen what the servers should wear, the Emmy winner allegedly replied, "Well, what I would really like is a bunch of little n-ggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties. You know, in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it? But we can't do that because the media would be on me about that."

In her May 17 deposition, Jackson's Atlanta-based attorney asked Deen if she'd ever used the n-word. "Yes, of course," the Paula's Best Dishes host replied. When asked about racial jokes, Deen said, "It's just what they are -- they're jokes. Most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. . .I can't determine what offends another person." Deen denied telling racial jokes herself.

Deen was also questioned about what she allegedly told Jackson prior to Hier's wedding. The cookbook author claimed she got the idea to outfit her African American staffers in long-sleeve white shirts, black shirts and black bow ties from another restaurant she had visited with her husband.

"The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie," Deen recalled. "I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America . . . after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War. . . It was not only black men, it was black women. . . I would say they were slaves."

Read more: Paula Deen Admits to Using Racial Slurs, Lawyers Issue Statement - UsMagazine.com

I'm confused, did her lawyers issue statements denying that she said any of this in the deposition?

WTF?!

Forget it. I just can't with this today.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Every time I think there are people from the south who aren't racist, up comes someone to spoil it all.
    Assholes and racists are not just southern. People just tend to pay more attention to the vocal assholes and racists with a southern accent. So, no, we can't all be judged for their actions.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I gotta say, I grew up in the South in the 80's-90's and it was EXTREMELY racist. My family actually moved because my parents were worried I might be psychologically damaged from what I experienced. I moved up North to NJ in the late 90's and definitely experienced some racism but it was less overt and less common than it was in the South. Then I went to grad school in the New England and it was more racist than NJ but less racist than the South. And it was more "polite" racism if that's such a term. Growing up in the South I was constantly called the "n" word and people would say and do awful things to our family. In New England people would make stupid comments like "YOU graduated from college? It must have been a struggle for you considering how you must have grown up." As my parents are actually both successful professionals it was insulting to have people assume I must be poor because I am black.

My opinion from living in 6 different states over 30 years is that the South is the most racist part of the US I've lived in and I would never raise my kids there but racism is definitely everywhere. I still experience it now and I live in the North.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "

I definitely get that there are more racists in the south, but racists are still not some majority that make it some rare and shocking thing when someone who is southern isn't racist. I just get pissed when people imply that ALL people in the south are racist or that people that aren't racist are a tiny minority of people.
    Mel1973, gas_chick and shedevilang like this.

Every time I think there are people from the south who aren't racist, up comes someone to spoil it all. I wanted to like her, but this puts it over the top. IF this is true, food network needs to fire her ass. So sad that in this day and age someone still talks like this.
    Not everyone from the south is racist, just like not everyone from Florida is crazy and whacked out. Quiet in the peanut gallery, and you know who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Assholes and racists are not just southern. People just tend to pay more attention to the vocal assholes and racists with a southern accent. So, no, we can't all be judged for their actions.
    Exactly.
    OrangeSlice and Butterfly like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ Lol, I didn't edit it. It's not in the article posted at Jezebel. (I didn't click onto the Radar link, bad girl.)

(I do think she's likely to be a bit racist though.)
    Wasn't implying you did! Awkwardly worded on my part. Just saying that the posted article left out the bit about the NE. I admit, I will be VERY disappointed if this is true, I really like Paula Deen and have gotten some good recipes from her. People say all kinds of stupid shit when they're young, hopefully that's all this is, if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Not everyone from the south is racist, just like not everyone from Florida is crazy and whacked out. Quiet in the peanut gallery, and you know who you are.

Exactly.
    Yep. And you know we just pick on Florida because we're kidding and we luv you, Shellee!
    SHELLEE likes this.

Wait, not everyone from Florida is crazy and wacked out? I'm canceling my visit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Wasn't implying you did! Awkwardly worded on my part. Just saying that the posted article left out the bit about the NE. I admit, I will be VERY disappointed if this is true, I really like Paula Deen and have gotten some good recipes from her. People say all kinds of stupid shit when they're young, hopefully that's all this is, if it's true.
    Oh no, I didn't think you meant it that way. I just meant I should have read it. Jez cut out a lot from the radar piece.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Paula Deen Clarifies: She Used the N-Word to Describe a Bad Black Guy

TMZ has just released a partial transcript of the deposition in which the doyenne of diabetes, celebrity chef Paula Deen, reveals that "of course" she has thrown around racial slurs once or twice in her life. But only when she was talking about a black guy who robbed her. And maybe when repeating something that was said to her. Or maybe when relaying a conversation between black people. Or maybe—Paula Deen doesn't know! Sometimes the N-word just comes up!

According to TMZ's transcript of the filmed deposition, a lawyer asks Deen if she's ever personally used the slur, to which Deen replies "Yes, of course." When pressed to give context, the only incident Deen can specifically recall happens to be a terrifying, emotional one in which she was the victim of a crime at the hands of a black man. In 1986, an armed robber held up the Georgia bank where Deen was working as a teller.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context [did you use the slur]?

Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?

Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't — I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

The lawyer then asks Deen if, in a bold and FUCKING CRAZY move, she directed the n-word at a robber while he was holding a gun to her head. Deen clarifies that she used it to describe him only later, when recounting the story to her husband.

Has she used it since then? (In a harassment lawsuit filed against Deen—the reason Deen is giving this deposition in the first place—a former employee alleges she was using it liberally as recently as 2007.)

"I'm sure I have," Deen tells the lawyer, "but it's been a very long time."

When pressed again for the context of these other usages, Deen flails around for a little while (maybe someone said it to me, maybe I heard a black person say it to another black person, maybe maybe maybe maybe) before sticking her landing with a meditation about how the South has changed a lot since the 1960's.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?

Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?

Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't — I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the South. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

Things certainly have changed in the South since the 1960s. The last time Deen specifically recalls lobbing an N-bomb was in the latter half of the 80s—and she's sure she's used it since, though she can't specifically recall when—but other things certainly have changed since then. You can no longer burn trash, for instance.

Since word of Deen's deposition leaked this morning, a rep has released the following statement:

"Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

UPDATE: Talking Points Memo has posted the full transcript of Deen's deposition.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Every time I think there are people from the south who aren't racist, up comes someone to spoil it all.
    Excuse me? I love the irony that you're pointing out how we're all prejudiced with your own prejudice.

What the fuck ever.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

She's full of shit.

Gold Member

I hated Paula Deen before and I hate her even more now. Her "explanation" is pure garbage.

"Of course."

As if hurling around racist terms is the norm. I've detested this woman for so long -- and this sure ain't helping.
    chartreuse likes this.

Thread Information