Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Broadway Star Ruthie Ann Miles' Four-Year-Old Daughter Killed in Deadly Crash

Driver Charged in Deadly Brooklyn Crash Kills Herself

March collision killed two children and the unborn daughter of actress Ruthie Ann Blumenstein, who was severely injured

Dorothy Bruns arriving in court for a hearing on her indictment and bail in May. Mark Kauzlarich for The Wall Street Journal

By
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:09 a.m. ET

The driver who struck and killed two young children in a Brooklyn crosswalk in March—severely injuring a mother who later lost her unborn child—committed suicide, according to a law-enforcement official.
    Dorothy Bruns, 44 years old, was found dead lying in her bed in her Staten Island home by a friend around 5 p.m. Tuesday, the official said. Police found an empty pill bottle near her body, as well as a note saying that she no longer wanted to live.

Ms. Bruns was charged in May with manslaughter for killing 20-month-old Joshua Lew and 4-year-old Abigail Blumenstein, the daughter of Ruthie Ann Blumenstein, a Tony-Award winning actresswho was pregnant at the time. Ms. Blumenstein was also severely injured in the crash and her unborn daughter, Sophia Rosemary Wong Blumenstein, later died from injuries suffered in the accident, a lawyer for Ms. Blumenstein said.
    Ms. Bruns told police she was suffering a seizure when she accelerated through a red light at an intersection at Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue and struck the pedestrians. The tragedy in Park Slope sparked calls for a crackdown on traffic violations. After the March 5 crash, city officials called on legislators in Albany to install more speed-enforcement cameras and make fines and suspensions for traffic offenders more severe.
    Ms. Bruns pleaded not guilty when she was charged in a criminal court in Brooklyn. Prosecutors said she had been instructed by her doctor numerous times not to drive. Ms. Bruns suffered from multiple sclerosis, according to law-enforcement officials.
    City records show the license plate on the car Ms. Bruns was driving was cited for 12 violations in the past two years, including four for failing to stop at a red light and four for speeding in a school zone. Driving violations caught on a camera are tied to a vehicle, not to individual drivers. Ms. Bruns had a clean driving record on her license, according to officials.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driver-...elf-1541570971
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I can't feel sorry for her, especially as she pleaded not guilty, despite her appalling driving record.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Wow, four for speeding in a school zone. I hate when people do that and I don't even have kids. Also, I like slowing down to wave to the goofy old crossing lady.
    rollo likes this.

I never believed that she had a seizure, but on the other hand, who knows. She destroyed two families in the worst possible way, especially the death of the unborn baby, after parents already lost the little girl and hoped so much that the new baby would make it, it must have been devastating and horrible to have that hope shattered.I don't think that they will ever try for another child, they will be too scared to try again. I'm all not sure that the marriage will survive. i couldn't live with that guild ever, so suicide seems the right thing. Imho she did suffer from her actions, but no matter what, she did not deserve to walk the earth after that.
    greysfang, Mrs P, Beeyotch and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    I never believed that she had a seizure, but on the other hand, who knows. She destroyed two families in the worst possible way, especially the death of the unborn baby, after parents already lost the little girl and hoped so much that the new baby would make it, it must have been devastating and horrible to have that hope shattered.I don't think that they will ever try for another child, they will be too scared to try again. I'm all not sure that the marriage will survive. i couldn't live with that guild ever, so suicide seems the right thing. Imho she did suffer from her actions, but no matter what, she did not deserve to walk the earth after that.
    Seizure or no she Should not have been on the road.

People with seizures are not even supposed to be driving.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

She should not have been behind the wheel. Period. Her doctors instructed her multiple times to not drive. She had a history of poor driving: "was cited for 12 violations in the past two years, including four for failing to stop at a red light and four for speeding in a school zone. Driving violations caught on a camera are tied to a vehicle, not to individual drivers. " TWELVE driving violations! That's nuts.
    mostroop and ConstanceSpry like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

That's twelve times that she was caught. How many others did she commit that cameras didn't catch? I dread to think.

On an irrational side note I'm kind of angry that she killed herself and denied the victims justice and their day in court. Nothing will bring back the innocent lives lost but some people seem to find it helps them to see a legal resolution.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    People with seizures are not even supposed to be driving.
    After one seizure I was told to never drive again. I was discharged from hospital and as soon as my husband brought me home I cut my driver's license in half. It was a bit painful but no way would I ever live with myself if any babies died because of me. In my case I sent my license back to the DVLA(UK), although it was voluntary, the doctor relied on my honesty in returning my license. I would argue that there SHOULD be a statutory requirement, across the World, that anyone with a health problem, that affects their ability to drive, should be immediately banned etc. from getting into the drivers' side of any vehicle. It should be a legal requirement.
    NO IFS OR BUTS!
    mostroop likes this.

Ruthie Ann Miles, the Tony-winning star of The King and I who can currently be seen on CBS' All Rise, took to Twitter May 9 to announce that she and husband Jonathan Blumenstein welcomed a baby girl named Hope Elizabeth in April.

https://www.playbill.com/article/ton...h-to-baby-girl

Congratulations, after all the heartache. I like that they named her Hope.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Holy moly, that's amazing!
    Kittylady likes this.

Wow, some people just have unbelievable courage.
    Congratulations to them.
    fgg and lindsaywhit like this.

That's good news.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Good for her. That's amazing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it to the other side of that.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information