Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Broadway Star Ruthie Ann Miles' Four-Year-Old Daughter Killed in Deadly Crash

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Well I'm seeing a clear cut villain but YMMV.
    yeah so far everything points to her being awful if it's true she has a history of running red lights and speeding (on top of being from staten island) but i'm just saying, it could also turn out that's not true and the accident was caused by her medical condition, especially if it's true she braked first and then accelerated again which seems weird.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't know, but from the few times I saw a person having a seizure, I doubt that someone would stop braking and start on the gas when a seizure starts. With a grand mal in the small space of the car, the woman would have injuries. With an absence, she would have just stopped after braking.The seizure theory makes not so much sense to me.

I can't stop thinking about this story and those poor children and their families.

Pregnant actress injured in fatal crash will stay in hospital until giving birth

By Paul Martinka and Natalie Musumeci

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)][/COLOR]
    The pregnant Broadway actress who was injured in a Brooklyn crash that killed her young daughter and another little boy will likely remain in the hospital until her baby is born, a source close to the family told The Post on Friday.
    “Since she is into the seventh month of her pregnancy, they want to make sure that baby is OK,” the source said of Tony-winning actress Ruthie Ann Miles.
    Miles’ 4-year-old daughter, Abigail Blumenstein, and 1-year-old Joshua Lew — the son of her friend Lauren Lew — were killed in Park Slope on Monday when a seizure-prone driver slammed into them in a crosswalk.
    Miles had been recovering in the intensive care unit of New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital and was recently moved out of the ICU.
    “Ruthie is now out of ICU and healing, by all accounts it is a miracle our second child is unharmed,” a family member tweeted from her Twitter account Thursday.
    But the family source told The Post that Miles “is not OK — not physically, not emotionally.
    “This is hard on everyone,” the source said.
    Joshua and Abigail were with their moms when they were killed at the intersection of Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue.
    Lauren Lew was also hospitalized.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/09/pregna...-giving-birth/
    rollo and Waterslide like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I know. I can't stop thinking about the victims rather than the POS.
    Angeli likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I hope her baby will be okay.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    We had a friend with Epilepsy and he used to drive all the time. He claimed he could tell when he was going to have a seizure and he would be able to pull over in time. I never bought it and though that if there's a risk of seizing while driving you should probably not drive. I understand that the loss of freedom is very difficult to deal with. But, taking a life (lives) could never outweigh your own personal freedom.

This is a horrifying story, I can't even imagine.
    I had a seizure five years ago in the middle of a supermarket. I was advised to not drive until I had completed investigations. I was seen by a neurologist and he said that I was at risk of further seizures and should return my driver's license, I did so as soon as I got home. He was right as well because I had another seizure a year later. I'm fortunate that we live in a town with a great transport system, my brother runs a taxi business and my husband works from home, so I've always got lifts. I don't miss driving, I hated it actually! And at least nobody will be grieving the loss of a child because of me. I wouldn't be able to live with myself and would be more than amenable to spending the rest of my life in jail. And what is making me angry about this woman is that if she does have MS and does have seizures she would certainly by under the care of a neurologist and they would surely tell her to stop driving and if she didn't surely they should have reported her to the relevant authority?
    Last edited by Mrs Fawlty; March 12th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    She has a history of running red lights and speeding through school zones.
    The tickets were issued to the car as it was captured on red light/speed cameras. Unfortunately, they cannot prove who was operating the vehicle, so she didn't accumulate points on her license that would have led to a suspension.
    Waterslide likes this.

Just to add to the seizure discussion - I don't have them, but I do have a relative who does and takes medication. I've seen the person have a grand mal once - once it starts, you are completely disabled, and you will not regain your ability to drive a car, walk, etc. for several minutes. There is something like a 6-month period where you have to be seizure free before you can drive again. This may have been discussed up thread.
    Waterslide and Brookie like this.

fgg

Driver Indicted in Brooklyn Accident That Killed Two Children, Including Broadway Star's Daughter

A Brooklyn grand jury had indicted Dorothy Bruns, the 44-year-old Staten Island driver involved in the fatal crash that killed two small children, including the daughter of Broadway star Ruthie Ann Miles.

A prosecution source tells PEOPLE Bruns was arraigned Thursday on charges of manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and assault stemming from the March 5 crash that killed 4-year-old Abigail Blumenstein and 1-year-old Joshua Lew.

It was unclear if she entered pleas to the charges at her arraignment. It was also unclear immediately if she has a lawyer who could comment on her behalf.

Blumenstein was the daughter of Ruthie Ann Miles, a stage and television actress who won a Tony Award for her performance in the 2015 revival of The King and I.

Miles, who is pregnant, was also injured in the Park Slope crash. Her unborn child was unharmed.

Lew’s mother is Miles’ friend; Lew’s mother was also hospitalized after the crash.

The indictment was returned Wednesday evening.

Previously, sources within the New York Police Department told PEOPLE Bruns said she experienced a seizure as she approached the red light. The car slowly crept into the intersection before accelerating through the cluttered crosswalk, according to the sources.

The sources allege that after running the red light, Bruns allegedly continued down the street until crashing into some parked cars. Joshua Lew’s stroller was dragged halfway down the street with the boy in it, according to the sources.

Driver Indicted in Crash That Killed Daughter of Ruthie Ann Miles | PEOPLE.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Just to add to the seizure discussion - I don't have them, but I do have a relative who does and takes medication. I've seen the person have a grand mal once - once it starts, you are completely disabled, and you will not regain your ability to drive a car, walk, etc. for several minutes. There is something like a 6-month period where you have to be seizure free before you can drive again. This may have been discussed up thread.

This pic was taken of the woman who drove into the group of family/friends just after the emergency services arrived. I showed this pic to Mr Fawlty and he said 'Uhhh?' He said that I don't even know who he is for several hours after I've had a seizure, never mind pick up my phone and use it. I should add that other seizure sufferers may not be postictal for the same length of time as me, although my neurologist always warned me that the postictal state can last for several hours.
    Kittylady likes this.

Agreed that everyone is different. I know the friend that I referenced before is quite out of it after his seizures. He is exhausted, both mentally and physically. He said it feels like he's run a marathon and he has NO desire to contact anyone.

This story continually breaks my heart.
    Brookie and Mrs Fawlty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Agreed that everyone is different. I know the friend that I referenced before is quite out of it after his seizures. He is exhausted, both mentally and physically. He said it feels like he's run a marathon and he has NO desire to contact anyone.

This story continually breaks my heart.
    I can really relate to your friend. I could see that my husband was really crushed upset when , as usual-following each seizure, he could see that I just didn't know who the heck he was, it always went on for several hours! He's used to it now. Regarding the cruel loss of the two beautiful little children, the little mite yet to be born, the parents, the wider family, the friends, and everyone else, including the first responders/emergency services staff- no words can adequately ease the pain of such loss. But, there is one small thing that can be done. After the sudden death of my 24 year old niece, who was also epileptic, we avoided asking my brother or sister-in-law, or Sarah's brother- 'How are you?' We all learned that asking the more open question "How are you feeling today?" brought a more expansive answer and discussion. My sister-in-law said that she just lives every day in its entirety. I'm sorry for rambling on but the tragic passing of those two little children and the grief that has engulfed their loved ones is too gut wrenching to scroll past. Their lives will never be the same although, in time, they will be able to get through the days a bit easier.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

^ I like the "how are you feeling today?" Mr P lost his late 30's sister to breast cancer and brain cancer around his birthday. We used to celebrate his birthday and my oldest sister's together, because it was the same time of year. Now we've stopped celebrating because it brings back bad memories for him. I think it's going on three years now and a hard one to tip toe around. I don't want to say "Hey, I'm calling my sister, it's her birthday!" when his is dead. I do hope it gets a bit easier for him.
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.

Was it a grand mal seizure or petit mal seizure? There's such a huge difference in terms of duration and recovery time.

My dad had a couple of seizures later in his life (after having had a stroke a few years earlier); each time, we called the ambulance, he was transported to the hospital, was 'out of it' for a while and had no memory of what happened.
    Brookie likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information