Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Broadway Star Ruthie Ann Miles' Four-Year-Old Daughter Killed in Deadly Crash

In the outer boroughs most people drive. This girl is from Staten Island, which doesn't have the same types of public transport as most other parts of NYC. They dont even have a subway, just a very limited railway that only serves the east and southern part of the island.

Not that I'm excusing her of course. But SI is more of a suburb than an inner city. It's an awful place anyway, think Mob Wives or Jersey Shore and that will give you an idea of the kind of people that live there.
    deenz, czb and Waterslide like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    In the outer boroughs most people drive. This girl is from Staten Island, which doesn't have the same types of public transport as most other parts of NYC. They dont even have a subway, just a very limited railway that only serves the east and southern part of the island.

Not that I'm excusing her of course. But SI is more of a suburb than an inner city. It's an awful place anyway, think Mob Wives or Jersey Shore and that will give you an idea of the kind of people that live there.
    Proud to say Iíve been to SI only once. 😂
    witchcurlgirl and Brah like this.

Gold Member

I used to live on that horrendous island. *shudder*
    witchcurlgirl and Waterslide like this.

czb

ick to staten island.

ok - we bought a new car that doesn't yet have the self-drive feature because that is still beta. but it has enough safety features that i am stunned. for example, if you are driving, it will provide you with the distance between you and the car/obstacle in front of you. if you are too close, it will tell you to BRAKE. it is amazing.

i am really looking forward to when the self-drive feature is applied.

and yeah, while i agree with a lot of what charmed said about this driver and MS, the driver is still a tool. i doubt that anyone is disputing that.
    stella blue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Here's the thing, not all MS patients have seizures and not all lack the ability to safely operate a vehicle. There are hand and foot control modifications available, as well. I'm not taking her side on this AT ALL. However, it is up to her doctor to inform the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles that she has any medical condition that may potentially impair her ability to safely operate. Then it's in the DMV's hands to do a review. We don't know if either of those happened.

Also, she may never have had a seizure before or if she was having, her DR may not have been aware. The form that a dr fills out is very generic- do you treat the patient? last examination? illness? medications and their opinion on the ability to safely operate a vehicle.

There are a lot of variables at play here-- not the least being personally responsibility on her part. Those around her had a moral obligation to inform the DMV if she was deteriorating rapidly (as suggested by interviews with her neighbors).

You'd be surprised how many people in NYC drive and own cars. Not all of the boros are actually that well planned with mass transit. I grew up in an area that had one bus line that ran 6am-9pm and no subway. We all drove.
    Chicago is kind of like that as an entire city. Yes, we have trains and buses, but it's not anywhere near as complex as NYC or Washington DC and unless point A to point B is pretty much in a straight line, you're kind of screwed. I always had my car when I lived in the city because it would end up taking longer to wait for the L than just to drive pretty much anywhere, even with the crappy traffic. But if you missed the L, you were shit out of luck until another one came an hour later. Parking was another issue altogether, though. Anyway, I guess it makes sense why she has a car, it's just too bad she decided to drive it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Here's the thing, not all MS patients have seizures and not all lack the ability to safely operate a vehicle. There are hand and foot control modifications available, as well. I'm not taking her side on this AT ALL. However, it is up to her doctor to inform the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles that she has any medical condition that may potentially impair her ability to safely operate. Then it's in the DMV's hands to do a review. We don't know if either of those happened.
    I'm not saying that anyone with MS should stop driving, only that people with medical conditions that have deteriorated to a point where they could become a danger to themselves and others shouldn't always wait until they get their license yanked. If you have fainting fits, blackouts, seizures/whatever due to a medical condition then do the right thing - stop driving, either totally or until you are on treatment for it and have gone the recommended length of time without an episode. My MIL has developed issues with her night vision and has taken the decision herself not to drive herself after dark or to undertake any journeys that means she might not get home before dark and has said that should her daytime vision deteriorate she'll quit driving and sell her car rather than be a risk to others. She doesn't want to wait until it gets to a point where it will be picked up in a medical or a license renewal as a lot could happen between now and then.

According to news reports, the driver DID have a history of seizures, and said as much to the police. And that's where the problem lies - she knew that this was an issue and kept on driving. Her doctor should most definitely have reported her to the DMV if this was the case and if they didn't then they should be held culpable in some way too.
    lindsaywhit, Mrs P and weathered1 like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just want her to be punished. And she's not a girl, she's 44.
    Kittylady and weathered1 like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I just want her to be punished. And she's not a girl, she's 44.
    Right now it appears to be truly a medical emergency accident. If the investigation shows that she should not have been legally driving she will face vehicular manslaughter charges with a max of 15 years.

when stuff like this happens it's normal for people to be angry and want someone to blame that they can label as evil, drunk, irresponsible, etc...
    maybe she was told not to drive but maybe this is the first time she had a seizure and this is just a horrible tragedy without a clear cut villain.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

[QUOTE=czb;3634152]ick to staten island.

What's wrong with Staten Island? (I've never been there?) Isn't it just a suburb?

czb

it's a pit. not a nice community. imho
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    when stuff like this happens it's normal for people to be angry and want someone to blame that they can label as evil, drunk, irresponsible, etc...
    maybe she was told not to drive but maybe this is the first time she had a seizure and this is just a horrible tragedy without a clear cut villain.
    I guess it doesn't matter either way, but I'm a little concerned by her lack of response after the fact, but I guess that could be explained away by the fact she theoretically would have had no memory of what happened. If I were on a jury, I'd definitely give her a chance to explain herself, but at the same time I don't like how the story is shaping up so far.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Well I'm seeing a clear cut villain but YMMV.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She has a history of running red lights and speeding through school zones.

City Councilman Brad Lander of Park Slope cited Bruns’ sketchy driving record in what he called the too-late decision to yank her driving privileges.

Cops said her car was cited on four previous occasions for running red lights and another four for speeding through a school zone from July 2016 to October 2017. She paid $1,145 in fines — and still owes $120.69. Cops take license of driver who fatally struck 2 Park Slope kids - NY Daily News
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

^ Screw her then. I hope she gets a very long sentence
    Kittylady, rollo and Serendipity like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information