Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Broadway Star Ruthie Ann Miles' Four-Year-Old Daughter Killed in Deadly Crash

I have no sympathy for her. None. Could they "investigate" her in custody please?
    Kittylady likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I have no sympathy for her. None. Could they "investigate" her in custody please?
    She's not yet charged with a crime. The only legal recourse as of right now is the formal suspension of her license. That stops no one from driving in NYC.

ETA: I have little sympathy for her either, and none should it turn out her doctors ordered her off the road.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    It's confirmed she has MS and the investigative process now takes over to see if she should have been restricted or was. This could take months.

The police have confirmed she initially stopped for the red light before accelerating and crashing. Completely believable circumstance if she truly seized. The dazed emotions can also be directly elated to the seizure. Most people are "out of it" post seizure.

BTW, meth's not really an issue in NYC.
    Maybe this will get some states to reevaluate their driving privilege laws. Everyone is so concerned about "reckless youth" driving, but what about people with illness or deteriorating body functions due to age? They're just as dangerous on the road.
    Kittylady likes this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

On top of the alleged callousness immediately following the accident, the driver is claiming she had a seizure. She has a history of tickets for blowing red lights and speeding in a school zones. I hope they put her under the jail.
    Is there a way to prove she had a seizure at the exact moment she hit those people? Does it show up on tests the way a past heart attack or mini stroke does?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I hope that she lives a very, very long life so she can think about what she has done every. damn. day.

Bloke is a T1 diabetic and on a CPap for OSA. He has to have regular hospital eye tests and blood tests for his diabetes and if he drops below a certain level his driving license will be pulled. The same for his OSA - he has to keep his compliance up or else the clinic will report him to the DVLA. With this in mind he keeps all of his appointments and does his best to manage his conditions responsibly. This is called 'being an adult', something this cunt obviously hasn't grasped yet.
    So I get the part about the diabetes, but they have regulations for sleep apnea, too? Is it because people fall asleep at the wheel from not being rested? Honest question. I know so many people that have sleep apnea who don't have to tell fuck all to the DMV about it.

I know a few people who have very serious illnesses and should not be driving, but they're stubborn. But then I know grown ass people that look at me strangely when I say I don't text while I'm driving. I don't know what's wrong with some of the people I know. OTOH, one of the most stubborn people I know (my Dad) drove everywhere when I was growing up and loved it. He got older and one time tapped a person's bumper in a parking lot (no damage, no injuries) and that was it. He stopped driving. I know that was hard for him, but he did it because he didn't want to hurt anyone. It's that simple. I mean, I think he did end up driving my Mom to the ER once after that, and of course he still had his license at that point, but he was honest with himself that it was time for him to stop.

Anyway, medical issues or no, this woman is a piece of trash, because her reaction after the fact was not normal.

I fell down a weird internet hole a few weeks back and started reading about all these people with Munchausen who claim they have POTS which is where basically your blood pressure drops severely upon standing and you pass out and they "need" service animals, and wheelchairs, and feeding tubes, and ports, and God knows what, but apparently can drive everywhere. I get that being in a wheelchair does not preclude you from being able to drive. I guess I get you're sitting in the car, but what happens if you have to get gas or when you get out of the car? Do you just wake up and go about your business like nothing happened? And some of them claim to have partial seizures all the time. These people have not only their service animals with them, but oftentimes children. That doesn't seem right either.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    Maybe this will get some states to reevaluate their driving privilege laws. Everyone is so concerned about "reckless youth" driving, but what about people with illness or deteriorating body functions due to age? They're just as dangerous on the road.
    My sister is in Cali and they regularly have to renew their license. I'm in AZ where my license doesn't expire until 2047. I'll be 81 years old then and driving freely. Crazy I don't need a health check before then!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    My sister is in Cali and they regularly have to renew their license. I'm in AZ where my license doesn't expire until 2047. I'll be 81 years old then and driving freely. Crazy I don't need a health check before then!
    Even still, a renewal typically is just going to the DMV and filling out a form - paying whatever they charge and you walk out the door. How many people actually take more than one driver's test in their lives? (although I have to say it must be nice to have a license renewal period of 30 years! It's 4 where I'm at.)
    Brookie likes this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

It's about 4ish years for me, too. One time I had to take the written exam. Another time I was supposed to take an exam and they said, "Oh that's OK," and let me go which was bizarre. Sometimes I have a vision exam. But pretty much it's just an opportunity to sit in a series of uncomfortable chairs for 4 hours on a Saturday morning while reacquainting yourself with the dregs of humanity, sort of like a state-sponsored, mandatory People of Walmart awareness day.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    Even still, a renewal typically is just going to the DMV and filling out a form - paying whatever they charge and you walk out the door. How many people actually take more than one driver's test in their lives? (although I have to say it must be nice to have a license renewal period of 30 years! It's 4 where I'm at.)

Actually it was 45 years here for renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Actually it was 45 years here for renewal.

I'm shocked it went up so much, it was a 25 year license when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    It's about 4ish years for me, too. One time I had to take the written exam. Another time I was supposed to take an exam and they said, "Oh that's OK," and let me go which was bizarre. Sometimes I have a vision exam. But pretty much it's just an opportunity to sit in a series of uncomfortable chairs for 4 hours on a Saturday morning while reacquainting yourself with the dregs of humanity, sort of like a state-sponsored, mandatory People of Walmart awareness day.

Wait, you have Saturday hours? That sucks. We get from 7-5 M-F, as long as its not a federal holiday.
    Waterslide and o0Amber0o like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yeah, I think it's open a half day on Saturdays. I guess I should be thankful, otherwise I would have had to take PTO in order to go because they were open strictly from 8:30-5 which was exactly when I worked.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

She's not yet charged with a crime. The only legal recourse as of right now is the formal suspension of her license. That stops no one from driving in NYC.

ETA: I have little sympathy for her either, and none should it turn out her doctors ordered her off the road.
    I don't think people should have to wait for a doctor to tell them that they shouldn't be driving - common sense and courtesy for other road users should be used. If you have a condition that causes seizures or that you know is impacting your abilities in some way then get off the damn road voluntarily rather than waiting to be forced. Losing a little freedom is better than losing your life or being responsible for someone else losing theirs.

So I get the part about the diabetes, but they have regulations for sleep apnea, too? Is it because people fall asleep at the wheel from not being rested? Honest question. I know so many people that have sleep apnea who don't have to tell fuck all to the DMV about it.

Yes, in the UK people using Cpap/BiPap have to keep their hours on the machine up or else their clinic will have to make a report as to their fitness to continue driving. These days the machines are designed so they are harder to fool, too, so people can't just stuff the mask with toilet paper or a cloth and leave it running to make it seem as if they are maintaining their compliance. Everything is recorded on a memory card now that is downloaded by the clinicians at your appointments.

Diabetics also have to report their condition to the DVLA (otherwise face a 1000 fine and risk prosecution if they are involved in an accident) and have medical renewals every three years.
    Waterslide, weathered1 and Angeli like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thanks, Kitty. I find that interesting. I knew about diabetes being one of the things you have to report, but I didn't know about sleep apnea. Seems like I know quite a few people with CPAPs and they don't tell anybody anything. I had a coworker (who was in the early stages of diabetes) who would tell me she was sick all the time, but only slept 2 hours per night, and I told her that's not healthy asked her how she drives around all day like that and she said she just needs two hours of sleep. She finally got a CPAP and managed I think 4. The CPAP machines we have here do gather data and send reports back to your doctor, but if you don't use your machine, all that happens is you get a scolding from your doctor about it and the threat of the machine being taken away because heaven forbid your over-priced insurance pays for something you're not using.

I am SO ready for self-driving cars to come along. I know nothing is ever foolproof, but the lack of care that so many people take when driving a very large, very fast piece of machinery is mind boggling. I live in a part of the country where there is minimal public transit so I totally get the need to drive in order to live independently, but some people simply should not be behind the wheel and I look forward to technology making that not as necessary.

This trick, though, doesn't have an excuse - if I lived in NYC you'd never see me driving a car (and I actually like driving.) If someone else will get me where I'm going, sign me up. I always wonder the same thing when some rich celeb gets a DUI - if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't even drive myself to the mailbox.

^ITA. I love driving, too, but I hate traffic and there is so much of it where I live. But if I lived in NYC, I would think owning a car would be for the most part a waste of money. And if I were rich, I'd have a car or a cab take me any place I needed to go, and there is no excuse for driving drunk ever. And no excuse for driving when you know you may or may not pass out or have a seizure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I don't think people should have to wait for a doctor to tell them that they shouldn't be driving - common sense and courtesy for other road users should be used. If you have a condition that causes seizures or that you know is impacting your abilities in some way then get off the damn road voluntarily rather than waiting to be forced. Losing a little freedom is better than losing your life or being responsible for someone else losing theirs.
    Here's the thing, not all MS patients have seizures and not all lack the ability to safely operate a vehicle. There are hand and foot control modifications available, as well. I'm not taking her side on this AT ALL. However, it is up to her doctor to inform the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles that she has any medical condition that may potentially impair her ability to safely operate. Then it's in the DMV's hands to do a review. We don't know if either of those happened.

Also, she may never have had a seizure before or if she was having, her DR may not have been aware. The form that a dr fills out is very generic- do you treat the patient? last examination? illness? medications and their opinion on the ability to safely operate a vehicle.

There are a lot of variables at play here-- not the least being personally responsibility on her part. Those around her had a moral obligation to inform the DMV if she was deteriorating rapidly (as suggested by interviews with her neighbors).

^ITA. I love driving, too, but I hate traffic and there is so much of it where I live. But if I lived in NYC, I would think owning a car would be for the most part a waste of money. And if I were rich, I'd have a car or a cab take me any place I needed to go, and there is no excuse for driving drunk ever. And no excuse for driving when you know you may or may not pass out or have a seizure.
    You'd be surprised how many people in NYC drive and own cars. Not all of the boros are actually that well planned with mass transit. I grew up in an area that had one bus line that ran 6am-9pm and no subway. We all drove.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information