Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Britney Spears prepares for her third wedding

I'm not convinced she's schizophrenic. I totally think she's on some heavy meds and more than likely anti-psychotic medication. Her behavior seemed more noticeably erratic after the breakup with Justin and she must have been like 19 or so? That would be early for a female to exhibit schizophrenic symptoms (more like late 20's), not that it wouldn't or couldn't happen at that age though. I think most of us agree she was using drugs/alcohol in her early 20's and that is often used by people with mental illness to self-medicated. Her speech during interviews doesn't come off disconnected like a schizoprehnic.

If I had to guess I would say she's a severe bipolar, type I. Someone with that can have psychotic behavior during a manic episode and we all know she has had at least one of those (hello umbrella and shaved head). She could be on serious meds for that. IMO it explains her behavior and early onset better than schizophrenia. Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar with schizophrenic psychosis) could explain her behavior as well and developes during teen/early adulthood. I don't know though....
    Just Kill Me likes this.

The dog London is fine; Michael K mentioned him a couple years back. London was given away to a new family.

And as for that rape story that hit the net just after she shaved her head - the rumour was traced back to a troll on some message board. You guys even spoke about the rumour being wrong on that big Brit shaves her head thread - I remember reading it when I was searching for "pink wig" references last year!
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Her speech during interviews doesn't come off disconnected like a schizoprehnic.
    my only experience with schizophrenia is my cousin and there's no way he could be properly medicated and sit in a judge's chair on X factor and sound as normal as she does. (i know normal isn't the right word but i can't think of a pc word).
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'm not convinced she's schizophrenic. I totally think she's on some heavy meds and more than likely anti-psychotic medication. Her behavior seemed more noticeably erratic after the breakup with Justin and she must have been like 19 or so? That would be early for a female to exhibit schizophrenic symptoms (more like late 20's), not that it wouldn't or couldn't happen at that age though. I think most of us agree she was using drugs/alcohol in her early 20's and that is often used by people with mental illness to self-medicated. Her speech during interviews doesn't come off disconnected like a schizoprehnic.

If I had to guess I would say she's a severe bipolar, type I. Someone with that can have psychotic behavior during a manic episode and we all know she has had at least one of those (hello umbrella and shaved head). She could be on serious meds for that. IMO it explains her behavior and early onset better than schizophrenia. Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar with schizophrenic psychosis) could explain her behavior as well and developes during teen/early adulthood. I don't know though....
    Yes, as you describe that, it does make sense too. And I know that exists, because it's what my Dad had. (Apologies if I've posted about this before!) He would have deep depressions which would last for some weeks to months, and then periods which I'm pretty sure were manic, where he wouldn't sleep for days at a time and would not stop talking, raging etc. I know he took bipolar meds--found all the old prescription data in a box after his death, there was depakote, lithium etc.

But I know he had experience with antipsychotics too, since he told me about it from time to time when he would get to rambling on. Haldol was one he mentioned, and not in flattering terms; putting two and two together, he may have had some kind of breakdown after WWII. He could be very stable and functional; he got two master's degrees and had several successful careers.

But he was always odd and kind of "off" and now I see similar behavior patterns when I think about Britney. If he had been a drunk and druggie to the degree she was, he might've completely gone off the rails and pink wigged out too. Luckily he was never into substance abuse.

As it was he would hallucinate and hear voices throughout his life. He would see some bizarre shit in our living room! I have a lot of posthumous admiration for him, because man, it is amazing he achieved what he did when there were substantial periods of time where he could hardly tell crazy real from real real. That took some kinda character and grit.

And honestly, I could say the same for Britney. It's amazing to me that she still tries to work. I don't believe they are forcing her to do it, either. I can definitely believe that she has always loved performing and been ambitious about her career. Maybe it helps her, actually.

Can we think of any other huge stars who have manifested such obvious and serious mental illness issues? I mean Jonathan Winters was bipolar and talked about it openly, likewise Rod Steiger and Patty Duke and a few others, but mostly, seems to me they either just get a rep for being "weird" like Sean Young and nothing more is said, or they just kinda fade away; there are some suspicions but nothing like Britney's wild pink wigging.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    The dog London is fine; Michael K mentioned him a couple years back. London was given away to a new family.
    yay! thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    And as for that rape story that hit the net just after she shaved her head - the rumour was traced back to a troll on some message board. You guys even spoke about the rumour being wrong on that big Brit shaves her head thread - I remember reading it when I was searching for "pink wig" references last year!
    I don't remember that or the details but I'd be glad to accept that as the truth! Never want to hear that someone has been raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Can we think of any other huge stars who have manifested such obvious and serious mental illness issues? I mean Jonathan Winters was bipolar and talked about it openly, likewise Rod Steiger and Patty Duke and a few others, but mostly, seems to me they either just get a rep for being "weird" like Sean Young and nothing more is said, or they just kinda fade away; there are some suspicions but nothing like Britney's wild pink wigging.
    Demi Moore flamed out pretty spectacularly, though it can't hold a candle to Britney. And Lohan certainly had her moments but they seem SO much more mild in comparison. Britney takes the cake for a public flameout, I think.

Kathie- thanks for sharing your story. I know how hard it can be seeing a loved one go through mental illness. It sounds like your dad accomplished a lot despite his disadvantages. That's really admirable.

A celebrity that seems like she has a mental disorder is Anne Heche. Remember when she had some episode where she showed up at someone's house, I think naked, talking about aliens? I think she could be a bipolar as well just from that, that sounds like a psychotic manic episode. Very sad. She seems to be working regularly so hopefully she got help and medication so she can have a more "normal" life.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

^^^ohhhh yeah, Anne Heche! I think she admitted she is bipolar, so that IS a good example.

Bipolar disorder is a fascinating illness in that it seems to go hand-in-hand with artistic talent, creativity, and charisma, sometimes outstanding intelligence as well. (Though I wouldn't add that with Britney. Haha sorry.)

I've known quite a few bipolars in the course of my life and you know what, not a single one of them was a dullard. Or even ordinary, really. Hmmm. There's a great book about that, if anyone's interested. I think it's called "Touched With Fire".
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    my only experience with schizophrenia is my cousin and there's no way he could be properly medicated and sit in a judge's chair on X factor and sound as normal as she does. (i know normal isn't the right word but i can't think of a pc word).

Then there are the others, much like my relative and family friend, who could sit in that chair.

Who knows what Britney is dealing with, but if she is battling a mental disorder I would have so much more respect for her family if they didn't (supposedly) treat it like something that should be hidden and would make her look bad.

I'm not convinced she's schizophrenic. I totally think she's on some heavy meds and more than likely anti-psychotic medication. Her behavior seemed more noticeably erratic after the breakup with Justin and she must have been like 19 or so? That would be early for a female to exhibit schizophrenic symptoms (more like late 20's), not that it wouldn't or couldn't happen at that age though.

They split when Britney was 21. That's actually the same age my family friend was when she was in the hospital due to schizophrenia.
    mistify likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    This is incredibly sad but there is one issue that I don't quite understand. In the TMZ post, it stated that she would be in 'immediate danger' if the records weren't sealed and therefore made public; how would this be so if she has a personality disorder?
    Tom Cruise is going to come after her for having a mental disorder ...

Quote Originally Posted by dallison View Post
    They split when Britney was 21. That's actually the same age my family friend was when she was in the hospital due to schizophrenia.
    I think certain factors such as drug use, injury, and trauma can make the onset of certain mental illnesses occur sooner.
    roslyntaberfan likes this.

There has been debate over gender and age of onset, with some researchers believing that age of onset is about the same, but the diagnosis is delayed for women. When it's known to run in families, and they're looking for it, they tend to diagnose women at about the same age as men. Another theory is it may be remittent in women when it first comes on.

Sex difference in age of onset of schizophrenia: findings from a community-based study in India

Women have later onset than men in schizophre... [Eur Psychiatry. 2003] -
    PubMed - NCBI

Male and female patients were not found to differ significantly either in the average age of schizophrenia onset or age at first admission. In the majority of females the disease started at a slightly earlier age than in males, which might be due to the general biological and psychosocial differences between males and females. The age of females at first admission with a schizophrenia diagnosis was significantly higher than that of males. The differences between the schizophrenic males and females in the length of the preadmission period and diagnostic process, as well as in mortality, may contribute cumulatively to the recording of onset for female schizophrenics at a higher age in comparison to male schizophrenics.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7893625

It also tends to be harder to control in men than in women.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

There were rumors that her cheating and drug abuse is what caused Justin to dump her. It certainly wouldn't be unusual for the onset to start at that age, accompanied by drug abuse/sexual acting out.
    mistify likes this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

There has to be a physical health issue as well, in order for them to say that.

I remember that blind item 2 or 3 years ago, if it were to be that, that would be devastating in terms of reputation, earnings, etc...

My aunt was raped and stabbed in a gas station bathroom at 18, she was diagnosed probably around 20. She has moments where she could sit in that chair and be charming and people would love her, as long as she is on her meds.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Quote Originally Posted by d2791 View Post
    There has to be a physical health issue as well, in order for them to say that.

I remember that blind item 2 or 3 years ago, if it were to be that, that would be devastating in terms of reputation, earnings, etc...
    Are you referring to the blind about the HIV positive celeb?

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Are you referring to the blind about the HIV positive celeb?
    Yes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information