Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: British band Viola Beach killed in car accident in Sweden

Tragic... R.I.P. boys. (EDIT: Found a picture of their tour manger, Craig Tarry).

Tour Manager, Craig Tarry:

Non-graphic photos of the bridge they attempted to cross:

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    wait, there was another band killed in a horrible accident?
    Fraid so

Driver in Crash That Killed 3 Band Members, 2 Others Had DUI Incident Hours Earlier | NBC Chicago
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

panic likes this.

Elite Member

There are speculations that they were run over by an oil tanker after hitting the water as an explanation for the extensive damage.

Olietanker på 125 meter kan have sejlet ind i bil med britisk popband - Udland | www.bt.dk
    Dödskraschen minut för minut - Södertälje - www.lt.se

I'll post the full articles, if anyone wants me to, but they are in Danish and Swedish.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    There are speculations that they were run over by an oil tanker after hitting the water as an explanation for the extensive damage.

Olietanker på 125 meter kan have sejlet ind i bil med britisk popband - Udland | www.bt.dk
    Dödskraschen minut för minut - Södertälje - www.lt.se

I'll post the full articles, if anyone wants me to, but they are in Danish and Swedish.
    They are now reporting that's what likely happened
    More information and photos at source link below.

They posted security cam footage of the car traveling towards the bridge a minute before the bridge starts to lift.

What's weird to me (maybe someone can explain), I don't see any barriers coming down, or debris on the road (if they had already crashed through). Maybe it's just where the security cam is positioned - in front of the barriers?

If any sort of relief was to come to from this story, they state that it's unlikely they survived the initial fall/crash.
    I hope/pray there was no suffering.

1.58am: The bridge over the Sdertlje canal opens according to the Maritime Administration, the Aftonbladet reports. A still image taken from CCTV shows cars travelling over the road just a minute before the bridge started to rise up in the centre so a ship could pass below.

2am: Police can not confirm this as the exact time but investigations indicate that at about 2am the car crashed through a safety barrier at about 45mph and plunged 82ft into the freezing canal.

A 125 metre-long oil tanker then ran over the wreckage, Swedish TV reports.

The captain of the Tellus told broadcasters he spotted an object fall from the bridge as his ship was approaching but crew members assumed it was a large chunk of snow and were given the green light to proceed after alerting maritime officials.
    Authorities in Stockholm believe it is unlikely they survived the initial fall from the bridge into the Sodertalje canal.

Source: Viola Beach: What we know so far about crash which left band and manager dead - Mirror Online

EDIT: What's the point of having a security camera, especially at a high-accident-risk area, if it's not able to film - moving footage 24/7? So, it doesn't store moving footage after a couple hours? (Which is when emergency services/police discover something has happened and need the footage?).

Hell, just put an iPhone or GoPro up there in a weather-safe, tamper-safe box.
    You would be able to film, review, and store footage - and do so with little human intervention (automatic/programed).

New pictures of the bridge where Viola Beach were killed emerges as its revealed police didn't request to have the moving footage saved, according to local media.

Swedish authorities released still images taken by traffic cameras on Saturday night - taken around the time the car smashed through barriers and fell from a canal bridge, killing the four members of Viola Beach and their manager.

The pictures captures the scene immediately before the accident at 1.57am and then the next still is taken at 2.17am.

The moments in between were not captured because it doesn't save automatically and though the 24 tape can be rewound, this was not requested in time, according to road authorities.

Same Source As Above: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...ow-far-7385648
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; February 17th, 2016 at 03:37 PM.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

that sounds so scary.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    they were cute. i like their little jam.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    EDIT: What's the point of having a security camera, especially at a high-accident-risk area, if it's not able to film - moving footage 24/7? So, it doesn't store moving footage after a couple hours? (Which is when emergency services/police discover something has happened and need the footage?).
    it's pretty common that CCTV footage gets deleted after a certain amount of time (but usually more than a couple of hours) if no one requests the tape to be saved. it has to do with privacy laws and probably not enough storage space. it's the police's fault for not requesting it in time.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information