Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Brian Williams Apologizes for False Story; Tom Brokaw Wants Him Fired

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Brian Williams meme pokes fun at other moments he may have 'misremembered' | Daily Mail Online

Hilarious memes of historic moments Brian Williams may have 'misremembered' after lying about being shot down in Iraq

• #brianwilliamsmisremembers quickly began to trend across social media as people mocked his fabricated memory of the invasion of Iraq
    • People have cleverly photoshopped the news man into OJ's Bronco, the flag raising at Iwo Jima, the moon landing and other historical events

By Josh Gardner For Dailymail.com
    Published: 13:26 EST, 5 February 2015 | Updated: 14:13 EST, 5 February 2015

NBC's Brian Williams wants you to know he's sorry about the lies he's told about having been shot down in a helicopter ambush in Iraq. Meanwhile, the internet wants to know: what else might Williams 'misremember'?

Out of the news anchor's stunning 'mistake,' the #brianwilliamsmisremembers meme is born.

Now, Williams is cropping up in in cleverly doctored photos across social media in which he's proudly reporting everywhere from the moon landing to OJ Simpson's white Bronco.

#brianwilliamsmisremembers: Following the news anchor's shocking admission Wednesday, social media users began photoshopping Brian Williams into famous historical events, like Oj Simpson's car chase (via @linkcalhoun)

Williams to thank? @TheObamaDiary thinks Williams might remember it. With a photo of the newsman cropped hastily into a shot from that famous day, they write in the voice of Williams:'I said Martin, do you dream?, he said yes. I said, 'well, tell the folks about your dreams'

Or at the March on Washington in 1963, where he personally encouraged Martin Luther King to give his I Have a Dream speech.

At least that's how @TheObamaDiary thinks Williams might remember it. With a photo of the newsman cropped hastily into a shot from that famous day, they write in the voice of Williams:

'I said Martin, do you dream?, he said yes. I said, 'well, tell the folks about your dreams'

@theObamaDiary also places Williams at the 1936 Olympics.

'Losing to Jesse Owens in Berlin was tough, but I knew I was part of history,' Williams 'misremembers.'

Twitter user @robx_d puts Williams both alongside Amelia Earhart before her faithful voyage and looking on as the flag was raised at Iwo Jima.
    The photoshopped images go on and on, as do the imaginary Williams memories tweeted without photos.

It's an hilarious twist to a story over a decade in the making.

Forgot he was an athlete: @theObamadiary also puts Williams at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin

'And then I told him: "Draw me like one of your french girls"' writes Twitter user @Jenn_Abrams

@JavaJoeX imagines Williams misremembering his pivotal role in Apocalypse Now

@JavaJoeX wonders if Williams valor may have won him the honor of becoming an action figure

Did Amelia Earhart go down with Brian Williams? @robx_d says yes

It came to a head during the Nightly News broadcast this past Wednesday evening, Williams told viewers that his mistake was a 'bungled attempt' to honor a soldier who had helped protect him.

'I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago. I want to apologize' he s
    aid.

In a lengthy Facebook post on Wednesday Williams admitted his mistake and blamed the ‘fog of memory over 12 years’ for his error.

‘I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in '08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp,’ he wrote.

‘Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area -- and the fog of memory over 12 years -- made me conflate the two, and I apologize.’

Twitter user @robx_d also puts Williams alongside the flag as it was raised at Iwo Jima

Reporting live from the moon: "That one live shot I did from the moon" #BrianWilliamsMemories (via @DutraWeather)

Saving Private Brian? @IvanTheK puts Williams in the 1998 classic WWII film

THE CHANGING STORY OF BRIAN WILLIAMS' 2003 CHINOOK FLIGHT

Since the 2003 incident, Williams’ Chinook story has been recounted countless times and gradually the reporter's role seems to have grown.

NBC reported the incident on March 26, 2003, with the headline, 'Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.'

However when the incident was reported the next day by the New York Daily News it stated that a ‘chopper was hit and forced to land. Then the one carrying Williams landed.’

Three days later USA Today carried a similar report that stated: 'NBC's Brian Williams was stranded in the Iraqi desert for three days after a Chinook helicopter ahead of his was attacked by a man who fired a rocket-propelled grenade.

'The grenade just missed, but it forced the group to make an emergency landing. Luckily, a U.S. tank platoon was there and surrounded the helicopters, killing four Iraqis.'

In a 2007 entry from his blog Williams recounts how he was part of a ‘flotilla of four twin-rotor Chinook helicopters’.

‘Some men on the ground fired an RPG through the tail rotor of the chopper flying in front of ours.

'There was small arms fire. … All four choppers dropped their heavy loads and landed quickly and hard on the desert floor,’ he recalled.

By the next year Williams was claiming on his blog that 'all four of our low-flying Chinooks took fire.'

'The Chinook helicopter flying in front of ours (from the 101st Airborne) took an RPG to the rear rotor, as all four of our low-flying Chinooks took fire,' he wrote.

'We were forced down and stayed down -- for the better (or worse) part of 3 days and 2 nights.'

The tale takes a more dramatic twist during a 2013 appearance on The Late Show With David Letterman. By now Williams is recalling that two helicopter were hit - including his.

‘Two of our four helicopters were hit by ground fire including the one I was in,’ he told Letterman.

Then during his report on January 30, Williams once again told an inaccurate version of events so that now ‘the helicopter we were travelling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG.’

Read more:

Read more: Brian Williams meme pokes fun at other moments he may have 'misremembered' | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Brookie and snoopqueen like this.

This is not as bad as CNN doing fake on location stories.The news and the news people are corporate shills now anyway.
    qwerty likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

LOL! Love the photoshopping.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

A*O

All these high profile TV journos are massive egomaniacs and will say/do anything to make themselves look awesome. By all accounts this guy has something else that's massive too.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ok those photoshop jobs are funny

"Live from the moon". Pretty darn funny!

and as for the new allegations that are cropping up, all I can say is I am sorely disappointed.

Why does his nose point to the right?

I read that there were two separate incidents and he's claiming that he mistook parts from both and mistakenly remembered it as one event. The pilot of the Chinook that Brian was on even said they took small arms fire from the ground and the chopper in front of them was hit by a grenade. An embellishment or a faulty memory? He just seems so trustworthy and I can't believe he lied on purpose, especially knowing there were other people at both events that would certainly remember the anchor of a major network being there to call him out.

My husband personally knows Brian and has for many years. He's great friends with one of Brian's close relatives and they've had many lengthy conversations at family functions and when Brian attended events at my husband's job. They're not close or anything, but Brian would definitely know my husband by sight and know exactly who he was. My husband is having difficulty believing that Brian intentionally lied.

His face has been seemingly sliding down on one side for years. I don't know if he has an illness or he's messed with his face. The first time I saw him was when MSNBC cable news (now defunct) was literally in its infancy and Princess Diana was in the wreck in Paris. I stayed up most of the night watching it and he was amazing. They didn't even have map graphics yet and I remember him showing the tunnel location on a paper map (all the other networks had digital map graphics). I vividly remember him putting his finger to his earpiece and saying, "We're just getting in that Princess Diana has died .... "

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Why does his nose point to the right?
    I can only assume he's like Pinocchio---every time he lies it starts moving a little more to the right.

As far as war correspondents go, he's no Ernie Pyle.

Simply, he knowingly lied for what was clearly his own personal benefit on a repeated basis, and he is the face of a national nightly news broadcast. He should be fired immediately.

But if Americans really wanted integrity in our journalism our national news broadcasts would be anchored by someone like Gwen Ifill and not these blow dried, cap toothed 'hosts' that just read on camera.
    Brah, tulip, Witchywoman and 7 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

NBC should really fire him, you can't have someone you no longer believe present the news. Stupid mistake on his part.
    Kittylady likes this.

Taking a Leave of Absence
    A Personal Note from Brian Williams

FEBRUARY 7, 2015 MAGGIE STEENLAND
    In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.

As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.
    Probably a good idea right now.
    Bombshell and snoopqueen like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Taking a Leave of Absence

Probably a good idea right now.
    Because something else will capture our attention in the upcoming week and his story will be forgotten.
    Brookie likes this.

A*O

He's paid $10-15million pa (reports vary). He can afford to retire and should. His honesty and integrity are gone and he will be a laughing stock from now on. Idiot.
    HWBL and Kittylady like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

As a newsman, he ought to know that one fuck up is all it takes to sully decades worth of work.
    HWBL likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information