Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brandon "Greasy Bear" Davis: classy as always

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    And in my opinion, you have earned the right to do so.
    I see your point. But when I slip up and say it I still feel a little guilty about it. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Maybe it's because when I was growing up we never used the word in my house, and most of my relatives didn't use it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I see your point. But when I slip up and say it I still feel a little guilty about it. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Maybe it's because when I was growing up we never used the word in my house, and most of my relatives didn't use it a lot.

Well, despite what I said earlier, I guess when I take an honest look at it, I do consider the word "nigger" more offensive than the word "faggot", even to me, based on the repulsive origin of the word alone and the gross mentality behind its continued use today. I live in Washington D.C. and work for the federal government in an office of civil rights. Based on the demographics of our area, there is a large percentage of blacks who work for the federal government. Anyone who thinks that discrimination and racism towards blacks doesn't happen on a broad scale every day, on many levels, both blatantly and discreetly, and in many cases without the perpetrator even understanding when their actions are discriminatory - is sadly mistaken. Though I can relate to it on many levels as a gay man, I don't think any non-black person can fully comprehend the depths of is ugly, demoralizing damage.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Well, despite what I said earlier, I guess when I take an honest look at it, I do consider the word "nigger" more offensive than the word "faggot", even to me, based on the repulsive origin of the word alone and the gross mentality behind its continued use today. I live in Washington D.C. and work for the federal government in an office of civil rights. Based on the demographics of our area, there is a large percentage of blacks who work for the federal government. Anyone who thinks that discrimination and racism towards blacks doesn't happen on a broad scale every day, on many levels, both blatantly and discreetly, and in many cases without the perpetrator even understanding when their actions are discriminatory - is sadly mistaken. Though I can relate to it on many levels as a gay man, I don't think any non-black person can fully comprehend the depths of is ugly, demoralizing damage.
    Agree with everything you wrote, especially the part in bold. And it doesn't always have to be some huge act of racism. Sometimes it's just the little things. I mean, just about everyday I either have some woman clutch her purse when I come near her, people instantly lock their car doors if they see me coming, store clerks eyeball me like I'm about to steal something, etc. But I actually don't get too pissed about that stuff anymore. I just smile and think to myself how stupid people are to give me that much power over them simply because of my race.

And a couple of years ago I had to write a column on the 'evolution of the N-word.' It pissed a lot of people off, black and white, because it touched on things that people didn't want to think about. Especially my father. He almost ripped me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    ...just another example of "money cannot buy class".
    True. When I look at him, I want to take a bath.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information