Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Brad Pitt donates $100K for gay marriage effort

I never understand the point of criticising someone's donations. Donating to a charitable cause is commendable, period. Discussions about who needs it more are absurd, you should donate to what is meaningful to you. Good for Brad.
    Sarzy, greysfang, SHELLEE and 6 others like this.

Yeah, I guess I'm just tired of their double-dipping. They got all the applause for their charity worth at least $14 Mio back in 2008. Whenever they're now making a payout from that charity foundation, 'up to $100k - if you pay first' I'm really not in any mood to applaud them again. Still the same money. And right now he could have written a check for - say $200k - without any conditioninal clause.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Let's not forget that charities are still out about $14 Million of their kids' first photo shoots.
    And then I have to kinda agree with FashionVivtim, right now, help for the Sandy victims will benefit blacks, whites, gays, hobos and vampires equally. Making a big splash of matching donations up to a meager $100k is ridiculous in itself and totally out of place right now.
    i haven't kept up with the 14mill so i cannot comment on that. if brange did not donate the money as they had committed then of course that is wrong. as for the hurricane sandy victims being more deserving, i don't know. i see nothing wrong with donating a pile (to me, 100k is still a pile of money) to gay marriage equality. on a global scale, are the hurricane sandy victims more deserving than say, starving people in malawi?
    Sarzy likes this.

Hell no. Just nearer and dearer right now.

Brad can give his money to whomever he wants. This isn't a charity though, it's a political cause, right?. A good one and one that he has been at least vocally supportive of so good for him if that's where he wants to spend his money. He earned it after all.

Elite Member

Hell no. Just nearer and dearer right now.

9/11 tainted donations for US disasters. Too many frauds, too much of that money escaped down rabbit holes. Most people seem to donate now, inside the US, a while after the event, to find out what's really needed and where. Many people regretted writing big checks to charity corporations when long afterwards the firefighters with chronic illnesses could have used some support (and Red Cross was out of funds by then.)

Also, lots of celebs and rich folk have since started their own foundations for charity rather than forking over lump sums to the Red Cross. That's not a bad thing.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I never understand the point of criticising someone's donations. Donating to a charitable cause is commendable, period. Discussions about who needs it more are absurd, you should donate to what is meaningful to you. Good for Brad.
    I don't get it either. Just because you might not agree with his cause - so fucking what? He likes it. We donate to things we believe in or stand for, not things that are necessarily politically correct.
    Icepik, SHELLEE and shedevilang like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Brad can give his money to whomever he wants. This isn't a charity though, it's a political cause, right?. A good one and one that he has been at least vocally supportive of so good for him if that's where he wants to spend his money. He earned it after all.
    I agree, it's not really a charity per se, it's a political cause.

BP annoys me most of the time, but I don't think his donation is dipping into what I'm guessing he'll give to Hurricane Sandy victims or to anything else. As much as I dislike him, I don't find any fault here. If someone gives $100,000 to an AIDS charity, then someone turns around asks why they didn't give a million dollars to a cancer charity instead. You can't win. People would go insane trying to give money to every issue under the sun, you should do what you can for what you believe in.
    Tati likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Bronze Member

Sure he could give more, but in an election where so much has been made of PACs, specifically the Koch brothers, trying to shift votes with enormous sums of money, Brad Pitt/whoever is part of his philathropic decision-making would have to be ultra-sensitive to the criticism that would come raining down if he'd given even $500,000 and the possibility that he might energize the wrong base, so to speak. I live in one of the three states mentioned in the release and in the past six weeks the anti-gay marriage cabal has dumped over $3mm to pass that a piece of legislation that would effectively eliminate future debate on this subject. Vote and remind your friends to vote. I'm shocked by the number of people I've heard being so effing casual about this.

If I'm donating MY money to a cause that you don't agree with, then you can fuck right off and match my donation to the charity that you want with your money.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

No question about what you give YOUR money for. I'm questioning the Jolie-Pitt foundation. That's not Brad's hard earned $. It's coming out of the $14 Mio that they've been praised for ad nauseum. I'm sick & tired of that part.

No question about what you give YOUR money for. I'm questioning the Jolie-Pitt foundation. That's not Brad's hard earned $. It's coming out of the $14 Mio that they've been praised for ad nauseum. I'm sick & tired of that part.
    maybe they give some here and some there, over time, while the money collects interest so that in the end there is more to give.

How much money did they give to good friend Wyclef Jean's sham charity Yele Haiti?
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Well, how much has he given and how much has he done for the victims of Hurricane Katrina? I don't like the little vanilla prick bastard but I can't fault him for giving to causes that he believes in. Perhaps he knows something we don't - maybe he knows George Clooney (or any number of celebrities) is going to have a fundraising event specifically for Sandy... maybe he's donated anonymously to Sandy victims? I don't know and I don't really care what he does with his money. The 100K went to a good cause - a damn good cause - I'm sure more than that will be going or has already gone to victims of Sandy. Give it time, people.
    shedevilang likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Then you might want to go to another thread.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information