Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Franklin has Pancreatic cancer

Just lost my friend to this back in July. It was 3 months from diagnosis to the end. This is not such a rare cancer. I don't know why they can't come up with better screening for this? Early detection for this one is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Just lost my friend to this back in July. It was 3 months from diagnosis to the end. This is not such a rare cancer. I don't know why they can't come up with better screening for this? Early detection for this one is essential.
    My uncle was the same - about three months. The doctors thought it was something else for a few months and then finally told him just before Christmas it was pancreatic cancer and he was gone before Easter.

is there anyone famous who beat pancreatic cancer? i have no recollection of anyone who has. i always thought steve jobs was going to beat it, it had been so long since he was diagnosed till he died.

I am so sorry for anyone that has been personally affected by this horrific disease. It's just devastating.

And Chalet, as soon as I heard I said to myself 'damn, she looks good on Y&R and I like her on it too!'. I was actually surprised to see her at first and was goin to be super angry if they made her look like an asshole, but it's been ok. I just like her--period. And hell, I loved her on One Day at a Time. So sad......
    She's a bit like Florence Henderson to me--- everyone's Mom.

Be well Bonnie baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    is there anyone famous who beat pancreatic cancer? i have no recollection of anyone who has. i always thought steve jobs was going to beat it, it had been so long since he was diagnosed till he died.

Not sure anyone really "beats" cancer because even if you get cleared, you have to keep checking on the bastard to make sure it didnt decide to do a guest appearance...

I cant recall anyone, and Steve had practically all the money in the world & he didnt beat it. One can only hope, like HIV, they come out with more medical advancements. At least to extent the quality & quantity of life after diagnosis.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Didn't Patrick Swayze live over a year from diagnoses til death?

Sad to hear. She was an icon of my youth.

Gold Member

So sad. Loved her on One Day at a Time. I haven't watched Y&R in a long, long time, but I did see an episode of Hot in Cleveland (Valerie's show) where Bonnie made a guest appearance.

Elite Member

Poor lady. Sometimes it's a bit more treatable than others. If you can have the Whipple surgery there's a hope of increasing survival.

The problem is most people are in the late stages at diagnosis. It really is a terrifying disease and woefully underfunded. There isn't a clear understanding of the risk factors as yet, so it's hard to avoid except by not smoking. I think consumption of cured meats ups risk, too--or it's looking that way.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    Not sure anyone really "beats" cancer because even if you get cleared, you have to keep checking on the bastard to make sure it didnt decide to do a guest appearance...

I cant recall anyone, and Steve had practically all the money in the world & he didnt beat it. One can only hope, like HIV, they come out with more medical advancements. At least to extent the quality & quantity of life after diagnosis.
    yeah i said that wrong, i guess i meant remission past the five year mark.

From what I've read, Steve Jobs had an early-stage, very treatable form of pancreatic cancer where the cure rate is almost 100% if it is dealt with immediately. But he chose to have alternative treatments for almost a year, instead of surgery. By the time it became evident alternative stuff wasn't working, it was too late even though he had the whipple and a liver transplant.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post

steve didn't beat it since he opted out of the surgery at a time in his prognosis when it could have helped. he chose to do holistic/nutritional 'treatment' instead. by the time he realized that wasn't working it was too late to do the surgery. so his money didn't help him, if anything, it hurt him.

Patrick Swayze beat it the first time, but not the second, and still only about two years from first diagnosis to death. Seems almost crueler somehow.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    steve didn't beat it since he opted out of the surgery at a time in his prognosis when it could have helped. he chose to do holistic/nutritional 'treatment' instead. by the time he realized that wasn't working it was too late to do the surgery. so his money didn't help him, if anything, it hurt him.

To each their own, but I cant help but get angry & think people like that (didnt Farrah try the same "holistic" thing?) are dumb. It's a killer in your body... I just dont understand not wanting to get it out of your body, if possible, as soon as you can.
    My Gami, 80 years old, found out she had breast cancer Sept 12th (my birthday) - surgery was scheduled Oct 1, then chemo/radiation treatment for 12-14 weeks. Hopefully when she gets back into town it'll be one year since that cancer was detected & told to fuck off. I HATE CANCER.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

czb

^^^ i can't say i disagree with you about people who do holistic treatment for cancer, but it is their body so they can choose their treatment. not what i would do, though.

good luck to your gami and anyone else who has a loved one with cancer.

Apparently, Ruther Bader Ginsburg had surgery for pancreatic cancer in 2009. She had also had colon cancer in 1999. I guess at this point she is at about 3 years in remission.

With regard to Steve Jobs, he said the following in his Stanford commencement speech, making it sound like he had the surgery a lot sooner after diagnosis than other people believe he did:

Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information