Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Bombshell Scientology Film: Alex Gibney on Cruise, Travolta and 'The Prison of Belief

I live in the small town where Travolta is and trust me when I tell you that he's not even discreet. At all.

And we have a fairly fancy looking 'Scientology Center' in the trendy part of town (or what passes for trendy here) ..hmmm, I wonder who paid for that?
    Brookie, nwgirl, Linne and 2 others like this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think Paul Haggis is the best storyteller of all the "big guns" they interviewed. I am agnostic. If I knew *nothing* about Scientology or Dianetics and I was stopped (which I loathe) with a pamphlet, what they spew for the first two levels might have made a little sense to me. The scientific way. The way you just need to keep exposing your fears or problems over and over so that they become numb memories and you're no longer bothered by them. That makes total sense to me, really. In fact, I've done a form of that in psychotherapy called exposure therapy or immersion therapy, where you just dive in and keep doing the thing over and over and not giving yourself a chance to back out (mine was going over bridges over bodies of water). I vividly remember the first time I went over a bridge over water by myself .... I bawled my eyes out, screamed, had a massive panic attack .... but I concentrated on the gas pedal, the steering wheel and the road and cars in front of me and I.got.over.the.bridge just like my therapist promised I would. Each time since was easier so that to this day, I only get a teensy bit squeamish over suspension bridges (I can't ever get Galloping Gertie out of my mind; go wiki Tacoma Narrows Bridge if you dare). That stuff makes sense to me.

But Paul's story about how he learned about Xenu at OTIII was just priceless. He's told it before in more detail ... he said he actually went out of the room he was put in after reading the secret material and asked them if it was a joke (they told him to go back in and read it again). And because he really believed in it at the beginning up to OTII, the science and simplicity of it, it's a WTF moment. It's hard for me to understand these relatively smart and accomplished people would swallow that down and not just walk out. And I believe there is not one other single church in the world where you have to pay to learn your religion. Imagine paying ALL that money to get to OTIII and hearing about Xenu and these neighborhoods, clothes, people, even the exact DC-8 plane that dropped the frozen bodies into the volcanoes were all the same as the 50s and 60s era, even though in LRH's little story this happened 75 million years ago, and now you have to worry about thousands of aliens attaching themselves to you and having to pay even more money to get rid of them .... sounds like a bad sci-fi movie, huh? All written by a sci-fi writer. It's just so hard to understand how people truly believe this.
    Angeli, spiderpig, idunno and 2 others like this.

This is perfect timing ... this is a list site that I've read for many years. Too long to post so I'm just going to link to it. It's safe, I promise.

10 Bizarre Snapshots From The World Of Scientology

I saw this yesterday and it was great. I already knew a lot of it from OCMB (that's how I came to GR) and even I had a few jaw dropping moments. Seeing real people talk about their experiences onscreen is often more powerful than reading about it. One of my friends knew hardly anything about Co$ and at first was saying "this makes sense" but he changed his tune as they kept revealing more and more fuckery.

I really don't know how such a homely man as Hubbard could enrapture so many people who listened to him spinning his tales. You can hear him making it up as he goes along when he's feeding his line of bull. I think he reels them in with his voice, it's pure carnival hypnotist. If I was a former $cibot I'd be embarrassed too that I got suckered in (but I'm glad you're all out!)
    Brookie and Kittylady like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Wow. A whole lot of trippy info on that Scieno site.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    But Paul's story about how he learned about Xenu at OTIII was just priceless. He's told it before in more detail ... he said he actually went out of the room he was put in after reading the secret material and asked them if it was a joke (they told him to go back in and read it again). And because he really believed in it at the beginning up to OTII, the science and simplicity of it, it's a WTF moment. It's hard for me to understand these relatively smart and accomplished people would swallow that down and not just walk out. And I believe there is not one other single church in the world where you have to pay to learn your religion. Imagine paying ALL that money to get to OTIII and hearing about Xenu and these neighborhoods, clothes, people, even the exact DC-8 plane that dropped the frozen bodies into the volcanoes were all the same as the 50s and 60s era, even though in LRH's little story this happened 75 million years ago, and now you have to worry about thousands of aliens attaching themselves to you and having to pay even more money to get rid of them .... sounds like a bad sci-fi movie, huh? All written by a sci-fi writer. It's just so hard to understand how people truly believe this.
    I agree, you gotta wonder what goes through a scientologist's mind, when he/she reads the top secret OTIII material after spending years of auditing and a buttload of money just to get a badly written sci-fi story. I mean, all religions have ridiculous stories, that you can choose to believe in or not, but usually you know about them up front - and for free.

I won't say that scientologists are stupid, but they must be more authoritarian than most people. If someone told me not to google something and not to read certain material, I would go straight home and google the hell out of it and read all I could find about it. How can they not? How can they believe blindly and not be curious what the secret is? I just don't get that.

Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

I'm reading the book Going Clear right now, and interestingly, one of the things Haggis said is how charismatic Hubbard was. He never met him of course, but they had to watch training films where Hubbard gives lectures. Haggis said that whenever he would start to doubt how humorless and weird other Scientologists were, he would remember how charming and self-effacing Hubbard was in the films, and think, "Well, it must not be so bad, Hubbard was on the right track but some of his followers are just super serious." Haggis got involved in the 70's, when Scientology was a counter-culture "boutique" religion, and the seeming focus on communication and overcoming your fears appealed to him, as well as the fact that he was agnostic and Scientology said you didn't have to believe in God, just "whatever is true for you is true for you." Also the community of hippie friends that you immediately belonged to was hugely appealing to him, especially the emphasis on artists and writers.

As he worked the way up the bridge, Haggis encountered increasingly kooky stuff but at each level he thought, "Well maybe this an allegory. Maybe at the next level it'll be explained and this will all make sense," so he didn't worry too much about it. This was pre-internet so keep in mind, they didn't hit you with the Xenu stuff until years and years after you were in the cult, had established so much money and all your friends and family were in the cult as well.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information