Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Bo Derek: Aging is not for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That's a good point. From what I'm reading moderate exercise can actually help with joint problems and even improve cartilage (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/515908). But nobody is recommending strenuous exercise - particularly when there is a history of injury. I think the problem also is that a lot of sedentary people stop exercising altoghether as soon as they have some kind of joint pain.

HWBL - what kind of exercises were you doing?
    As a kid I was only really good at ball sports: in volleyball, once it was my turn to serve, I'd pretty much serve out the match unless the other team had their game together. If not, a game would end like this: my serve; immediate point, my serve; immediate point and so on. Basketball: I couldn't dribble if my life depended on it, but was great at long passes and scoring so I either stayed behind and did a long pass to my team mate near to the other team's basket or I'd be up front receiving a pass and scoring. Baseball: not very consistent at batting but a good field player due to the ability to throw further and more accurate than any of my team mates. Aside from that I was good at anything that involved throwing stuff, LOL. Javelin: I always won that. Our coach always asked how in the hell I could throw so far or (in volleyball) how I could serve that hard. I dunno, just came with the package I guess. I remember a run-up to a badminton competition in our school and I'd hit the shuttle too hard so often it would get stuck in the racket.....
    I guess that's why I, as an adult, ended up in fitness and working with free weights. I did/do have one problem, though: I develop(ed) muscle definition quite quickly, but never was as strong as the size of my muscles suggested. I only bench pressed about 65-70 pounds, but the coaches at the gym (after 2 months of me working out at the place) approached me to take part in competitions and were shocked to see I wasn't powerful at all, just looked it. So I was useless for the competion circuit, but I didn't like that part of the sport anyway. Aside from that I - at my peak - could do about 1000 sit-ups, divided over three levels. Now, I'm lucky if I can do 10, oy. And because my leg muscles showed even quicker than my biceps and triceps, I only did stretching exercises without weights and a few curl-ups with minimum weights.

These days I have an exercise aparatus that works with springs that I occasionally use, similar to the one in the clip, I do some stretching and have long walks with our dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Yeah, I was a high-impact aerobics instructor for years (4-6 classes weekly), played softball twice weekly, ran 25 miles and biked 25 miles - all weekly. I knew because both parents had developed arthritis that I likely would as well, so I lived it up while I could. I hated my face and thought I was one of the homeliest people I'd ever seen so I thought I better take care of what I could - my body, and I had a bangin' one.

I'm now 62, have arthritis in my left hip (lucky that's the only place), and it's pretty constant but not debilitating. I'm glad I did what I did when I was able to do it. I still look pretty damn good for my age, and nobody EVER guesses my age.
    Yeah, my knees are iffy and my hands/fingers too. They were already a bit crooked from basketball, but now they're also stiff-ish. I guess I got that from my mom. But: my posture is still great, and although I haven't exercised regularly for ages, most new people I meet at one point or another end up asking "where I exercise" because apparently I still look/move like I'm as fit as I once was!
    Brookie and Palermo like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

In some of those photos she's absolutely stunning but to me even when she was young she looked as if she'd had some work done.

Bo Derek is the reason I so hate Perez Hilton. She was once the subject of his "Picture of the Weak", he was rattling along how she let herself go and how terrible she has aged. Turned out, the picture was made when she left the hospital in despair after her brother had just died. Perez never even apologized.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

These days I have an exercise aparatus that works with springs that I occasionally use, similar to the one in the clip, I do some stretching and have long walks with our dog.
    I'm glad you found some kind of regimen that fits in with your joint discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    ^God, what I'd give to be a part of the olive skinned Italian side of my family. I got all the Irish genes instead---there's no hope for me, with aging. I've been guessed to be about 3-5 (sometimes close to 10!) years older than I am since I was 13, my Irish genes decided my downfall since puberty.
    I'm nearly 100% Irish and I think my sister and I are aging really well despite being light eyed and fair skinned. She's battled melanoma 3x and pretty much avoids sun like plague. I always wear my sunscreen year round but willingly sit in the sun for a bit each day. I also tan despite being very, very fair.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ *Raises hand* I'm Irish on my mother's side and Scottish on the other and have the corpse pale colouring of both and I'm often guessed at being several years younger than I am. I hated it when I was younger but now I'm pitifully grateful for it lol.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I take after the Nordic side of the family, blond and really pale skin, but brown eyes. Add menopause to that and it isn't pretty. However, a few months ago I started using retinol and glycolic acid and it has made a positive difference. It got rid of fine lines and evens out skin tone and makes pores look a lot smaller. Supposedly, both the retinol and glycolic also stimulate collagen production when used long-term, so I have high hopes.
    Kittylady likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    I don't know, is aging really that difficult? I would think moreso, if you've based you career and selfworth on your looks.
    Yes it is!!! Age is a bitch and it creeps up ever so fucking quickly and she ain't kind or polite about it.....I just have to look at the deterioration of my parents and granny to grasp that notion..it's mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I'm nearly 100% Irish and I think my sister and I are aging really well despite being light eyed and fair skinned. She's battled melanoma 3x and pretty much avoids sun like plague. I always wear my sunscreen year round but willingly sit in the sun for a bit each day. I also tan despite being very, very fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    ^^ *Raises hand* I'm Irish on my mother's side and Scottish on the other and have the corpse pale colouring of both and I'm often guessed at being several years younger than I am. I hated it when I was younger but now I'm pitifully grateful for it lol.
    Well I don't know what's with me, then! But I am a massive homebody and barely go out, and if I do, I wear sunscreen on whatever bit of skin shows, out of paranoia.

I'm 42. Just waiting for menopause.

Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Laughing at all you babies in your 30's complaining about aging. Just wait til you hit the big 5-0, and beyond menopause, and you will really have something to complain about.

As for Bo, I think she looks pretty good now, and she was a real beauty in her younger years.
    Wait until you hit 65. You won't care about that crap so much, you'll just be glad to wake up without too many aches and pains.
    HWBL and JazzyGirl like this.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

^^Gee, more to look forward to.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    I'm 42. Just waiting for menopause.

I hope this happens to Amy Chua!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Well, I run. Almost every day for one hour, now and then at a competition, I'm still quite good, especially for my age. Everyone in my family has heart deseases and required hip replacements early on. I've had hip problems since my early 20s but it is fine when I run, so I do it. Weightlifting - I did it 15 years, but I can't bring myself to do it anymore. It is so boring.

Time goes by faster and faster for me, too, you try not to think about it, there is nothing to do against the fact that once you reach a certain age, you are no longer able to life in the moment, make new experiences all the time which makes time go by slower.

50 seems to be some breaking point, I got quite ill with severe depression (my father died a slow agonizing dead, my job was hell, my SO got Multiple Sclerosis and the whole "I'm 50, life is over" shit really got to me) and met alot of other depressed people during my 2 months stint at the hospital, almost all females around 50, it makes you think. With alot of professional help and some real fighting, I'm fine now, but that was something I could have done without.
    Thanks for sharing Lofty - so many of us in our 50's have similar issues, need to support family, parent care perhaps, hormones, depression - thanks for advising we can move forward and come out the other side!
    Lofty Bike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I hope this happens to Amy Chua!!!
    Out of curiosity, why? I think I know, but I'd like to know your thoughts.
    Rock the fuck on!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information