Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Bindi Irwin on losing her dad Steve Irwin: 'That kind of sadness never goes away'

Poor little thing, she's only 16 and has lived half her life without her dad. I want to tell her the sadness does go away but you'll never be the same person.
    Merlot-N-Bali and sputnik like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

My daughter was talking about this last night. August 5th will be 7 years since her father died and the pain still gets her at times. He has missed her graduation from high school, now graduation from college is coming. I am sure when she is ready to marry we will talk about it again. Sadly she has several friends who have also lost a parent and they are a great source of support for each other.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Yes, I don't see how Bindi can speak for ALL kids who have lost a Dad. She can only speak for herself and her personal heartache and she did it well.
    sluce, SoCalMarie and firebrat1229 like this.

I remember the Crocodile Hunter episode about how her birth and it makes me feel old.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    My daughter was talking about this last night. August 5th will be 7 years since her father died and the pain still gets her at times. He has missed her graduation from high school, now graduation from college is coming. I am sure when she is ready to marry we will talk about it again. Sadly she has several friends who have also lost a parent and they are a great source of support for each other.
    I was a year older than Bindi was when I lost my dad and to this day I think of all the things he has missed, especially as my parents never met their grand kids. I'll always carry that feeling with me but what I meant was eventually the melancholy does lift (for me anyway) but it's a different kind of sadness I carry around, more like what might have been, and sadness for the little girl who missed her daddy.
    sluce, Witchywoman, Trixie and 5 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

My father died nine days before my sixth birthday. She's right on this: you never forget this kind of sadness. I'm 54 years old and I will never forget the day he died and the feeling of loss, as I still feel it today. No, it doesn't "hurt" like it did; time does heal some of those wounds. But you don't forget the times missed, the years we never had, and the hole in your life fabric. Never.
    rollo, sluce, Brookie and 3 others like this.

She is right that it is a lie when people say with time it gets better. In my case it didn't. I was 16 when my Dad died and I'm 43 now. Still fucked up by it. Hugs for you guys who have lost a parent too

I'm going to be a bitch here and say how disappointed I was she chose to be the youth ambassador for Sea World. Whales in a bath tub. Drives me nuts.
    This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime.
    Clint Eastwood - Bridges of Madison County

My father died twenty three years ago when I was twelve and there are still days where the pain feels fresh.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

My father died when I was young too. I was a Daddy's girl and you never get over it exactly.
    Brookie likes this.

I'm so sorry you all lost your dads so young. I can't even begin to imagine what my life is going to be like when my dad passes away. The past 8 years has been all about him after his stroke and sacrifices and compromises have been made so he came first and everything in my life came second. I know he'll never see my kids and that's been really hard to come to terms with and just thinking about him not being here, I start hyperventilating.

I feel for Bindi and hope she finds somewhat peace in her heart as of all of you.
    firebrat1229 and rollo like this.

This post has not been proofread

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure her father would be quite proud of his daughter. From your posts it is clear you are a great person and I'm sure she is as well. I hope she gets enjoys her graduation and has happy memories of her dad on that day. I'm glad she has a group of friends who can relate to her feelings.

edit: I just read the whole thread and I'm so sorry for ALL of your losses. I can't imagine not having my dad and I can totally see how it's something you would never get over.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I'm with you, Nicki. My heart breaks for all of you
    sluce likes this.

As a dad, I really find this thread pretty touching to read.
    Bellatheball and Flygirl like this.

I wish I could have had the sort of father all of you are missing. Very sorry for your losses.

fugmuppet irwin grew into her looks. i couldn't stand steve irwin but by all accounts he was a great dad, it sucks she had to grow up with out him.
    i was 25 when my dad died and it was too soon, so my heart goes out to all of you who lost yours even younger. it's very true that you never 'get over it', you just learn to live with the loss and you'll never be the same. at the same time, i know how lucky i am/was to have had an amazing father and how lucky i am to still have an amazing mom who is also my best friend and favourite person on earth.
    faithanne, effie2 and Karistiona like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information