Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree301Likes

Thread: Bill Maher fat shaming needs to make a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    My brother is small for a guy and skinny like me. He eats a lot and runs marathons. He is usually the smallest guy on his Navy ship. The other guys use him to win bets against new crew mates because he can do more chin ups with weights on his legs and a weighted backpack than anyone else but the new guys always underestimate his strength. He’s a sure bet. Basically he’s a short skinny with the same mannerisms as Sheldon. My Nanna also had to shop in the kids section so I guess it is somewhat genetic but I’m sure he has it worse as a guy for the reasons the Mo stated.
    My dad was like 5'9", 140 pounds when he went into the Navy at 18. But he was incredibly fit. He told this story about a friend of his who always overshadowed him - "Harry". He said that guy looked like a movie star, was charismatic and sometimes overbearing. During the process of being inducted, they tested my Dad and Harry with various exercises. One of them was pullups. My dad said he easily did at least 20, and then Harry went next. Harry was determined to beat my dad and I guess considered his manhood to be at stake. He squeezed out about 10 pullups before he dropped down, staggered into a corner of the room and threw up.

My dad goes, "That night we were drinking in a bar, and Harry takes his mug of beer and dumps it on my head. For no reason! He couldn't handle the fact that I did better than him." But knowing the incredible troublemaker my dad was when he had been drinking, I am POSITIVE that what actually happened was that he told Harry, "Hey, Harry. You did half the pushups that I did and then you puked all over yourself! How does that make you feel???"

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Does your brother have to keep eating lots? I remember when my ex had an upset stomach and didn't eat much for a few days and you could literally see him losing weight.
    In college, I forced myself to eat cans of Chef Boyardee beef ravioli to put weight on. This was in addition to stuff I was already eating. It had the perfect combination of calories, protein and fat. But it tasted terrible, and it was the flip side of being on a diet. I can remember how bad that was just like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If you are a guy and thin, people will address your size in a way that is kind of emasculating. I remember finishing a 5K race with a bunch of Mrs Mo's coworkers (about 20 years ago) and one them saw a picture of me and referred to me sympathetically as "skinny Mo". Like "poor guy".... (Her husband was built like a brawling rugby player.)

That was not the only time something like that happened, but I didn't feel loathsome or undesirable. I felt I had walked into some bizarro world where being lean and fit (and not anorexic or bulimic) was somehow a negative thing. That being said, being characterized that way does not carry the same baggage as being considered overweight - which people will associate with being lazy, unkempt, unhealthy, etc. However, the experience has made me empathetic toward people who are struggling with weight issues. I'll still say a skinny celeb should eat a cookie, though.
    Exactly. A fat person isn't just fat-- she's a fat pig or a fat slob. She is lazy and has no self control and doesn't care about her appearance.

Anyone who makes comments to another person's face about their body is rude and out of line, but when I was super skinny people would sometimes ask me if I was anorexic and it didn't really bother me. But fat shaming pisses me off even though I have never been a victim of it because I feel there is a lot of contempt behind it.

And I have known plenty of overweight women who are far more pleasing to the eye than Bill Maher. I find him physically repulsive.

czb

bill maher personifies the seinfeld theory of dating ... a mediocre looking guy who has always dated hot women.

it's no surprise he is pro-fat shaming. what's next, ugly shaming? oh, wait .....

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

It also completely misses the point that not everyone is attracted to the same thing. There are men and women out there who absolutely ADORE heavier partners, and they get plenty of flack too. People sneer that they must be cheating constantly with socially acceptable looking women, that they are 'feeders', that they have no self esteem or are gay and using a desperate fat guy/girl to cover it up.

Fat Shaming doesn't stop with the initial target.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by GRuser1 View Post
    I only heard part of his speech and I have to say, he was making some valid points on the healthcare and food industry issues in the USA that are linked to a higher rate of obesity compared to other Countries. There was some joke here and there that made me cringe, but overall he seemed to make sense.

However, the moment he made that joke about fat-shaming needing to come back, he completely lost my attention and interest: bullying is always wrong. Shaming people doesn't help and it is also an horrible practice that horrible human beings like to apply to make themselves feel more important.
    Well said.

It also completely misses the point that not everyone is attracted to the same thing. There are men and women out there who absolutely ADORE heavier partners, and they get plenty of flack too. People sneer that they must be cheating constantly with socially acceptable looking women, that they are 'feeders', that they have no self esteem or are gay and using a desperate fat guy/girl to cover it up.

Fat Shaming doesn't stop with the initial target.
    And speaking of which today I have had two guys be super (SUPER) nice to me (donít ask me about flirting I donít understand it) and I am *still* overweight (& donít feel attractive). It was very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And speaking of which today I have had two guys be super (SUPER) nice to me (don’t ask me about flirting I don’t understand it) and I am *still* overweight (& don’t feel attractive). It was very confusing.
    There was a woman here who was not thin -- I would say she was built kind of like Kelly Clarkson, or maybe heavier. She had guys eating out of the palm of her hand. Besides being basically good looking - no matter what weight she happened to be - she had an enormous amount of positive energy, charisma, and a sense of humor. She was also married to a very fit guy who worshipped the ground she walked on. I think she basically made people feel great to be around her.

Conversely, there is a very slim and very good looking woman here, who is single, but is so offputting that almost everyone leaves the room as soon as she walks into it. I'm always fascinated to see how people respond to other people.

And speaking of which today I have had two guys be super (SUPER) nice to me (don’t ask me about flirting I don’t understand it) and I am *still* overweight (& don’t feel attractive). It was very confusing.
    Novice, I don't think you realize how pretty you are. When I've seen photos of you, your body (no offense) is an afterthought. You remind me of snow white, pretty complexion, beautiful eyes, gorgeous hair. If I think anything about your body, I think you have curves in the right places. I'm starting to sound creepy, but I think you should know what type of impression you make. It's a good one!
    Kittylady, Novice, Sleuth and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    Novice, I don't think you realize how pretty you are. When I've seen photos of you, your body (no offense) is an afterthought. You remind me of snow white, pretty complexion, beautiful eyes, gorgeous hair. If I think anything about your body, I think you have curves in the right places. I'm starting to sound creepy, but I think you should know what type of impression you make. It's a good one!
    Agreed! Our Novice is beautiful! ❤️
    dexter7, Kittylady, Novice and 2 others like this.

I’m blushing. And filling up. Daft buggers. X

It just how I feel / how I’ve been made to feel.
    sprynkles and Kittylady like this.

Aww I haven’t seen you Novice but you sound like a stunner. Lap up that attention, you deserve it!
    tulip, palta, sprynkles and 6 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I’m blushing. And filling up. Daft buggers. X

It just how I feel / how I’ve been made to feel.
    You know I completely understand. I've been there and I'm still working on it/working it out.
    Kittylady and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    You know I completely understand. I've been there and I'm still working on it/working it out.
    To top it off we had an “official photographer” with us today, I wasn’t keen to have my phot taken, but my mentor has just sent me the photos and he took twice as many photos of me as he did of my(male) mentor! Lol!

Elite Member
    Novice likes this.

Bronze Member

^^ Exactly. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy. My psycho ex is really, really slim but he drinks, smokes and eats shite food until it's coming out of his ears and has never been known to exercise beyond ambling between pubs and food sources.

On the other hand one of the carers who comes in to help with my stepdad is a larger lady. She eats healthy, spends 12+ hour shifts dashing between clients and doing a physically demanding job lifting, turning, washing and dressing people and yet she struggles to lose a pound.

Everyone is different. There is no 'one size fits all'. Not everyone is designed to have the body of an Instagram model and for some people all the juicing, clean eating and living in the gym isn't going to transform them into something pleasing to Bill Maher's eye.
    I'm similar to your psycho ex; I am underweight, don't exercise save for the odd ten minute walk up and down the street under the cover of darkness, I smoke and I don't eat as well as I should be doing. I don't drink every day, but I am a weekend warrior.

I think that Bill Maher should have other concerns; his big mouth and perhaps himself. He's perfect?
    sprynkles and Kittylady like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information