Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy trying to cash in on Heath Ledger's death

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    I went to the store to find a few of his movies myself, and wish they had them put together. It's difficult to find the "older" movies sometime. I struck out, finding nothing, and that was Tuesday. I was mainly looking for "Candy" because we had been discussing that movie at work (around the same time he passed away, and before knowing).

R.I.P.
    What's weird is I TiVo'd "Candy" off one of the movie channels (I have the HBO's and Showtime channels) a week BEFORE he checked out but hadn't gotten around to watching it yet! I'm saving it for this weekend.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    tacky. and in bad taste. there is such a thing as too much capitalism.

i fucking hate the word 'hero'. it was annoying before 9-11 but since then especially it's been way overused to describe anyone doing anything even remotely positive. so now it's a word i associate with trite, corny patriotism at best, narrow-minded nationalism at worst.
    but all they said was that he was a 'great actor'? How does this have to do with Best Buy? And maybe they just realized that people WILL be searching out his stuff now...and just made it easier for them to find it? I admit it is marketing, but I just do not see it as that offensively done...ya know?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I think there's probably gonna be a run on his movies and people coming in looking/asking for them. Maybe there has been already, and the idea for this display came on the heels of people coming in Best Buy asking for this movie or that with Heath Ledger. Oddly enough, I don't find it that bad.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    but all they said was that he was a 'great actor'? How does this have to do with Best Buy? And maybe they just realized that people WILL be searching out his stuff now...and just made it easier for them to find it? I admit it is marketing, but I just do not see it as that offensively done...ya know?
    like you said, it's marketing. and they're using his death to sell dvds, even if it's in the guise of a tribute. maybe i'm alone in this but i find capitalism crass by nature. not that i'm all commie-nazi and want to destroy the market, far from that. but deep down i still think there is a crassness and vulgarity about doing something for money. just like i think it's crass or vulgar to talk about money and, say, ask someone how much money they make. i realise that a lot of people don't have a problem with this but i guess it was just the way i was raised.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

like you said, it's marketing. and they're using his death to sell dvds, even if it's in the guise of a tribute. maybe i'm alone in this but i find capitalism crass by nature. not that i'm all commie-nazi and want to destroy the market, far from that. but deep down i still think there is a crassness and vulgarity about doing something for money. just like i think it's crass or vulgar to talk about money and, say, ask someone how much money they make. i realise that a lot of people don't have a problem with this but i guess it was just the way i was raised.
    I can see how someone could see the idea of it being crass..I can understand that. Given that, I do not think the actual display itself was vulgar, but rather low key and respectful. Just simple, and in black and white. it could have been much worse..JMHO.

^^^
    of course it could have been worse. but in a way the fact that it's disguised as a 'touching' tribute makes it all the more sneaky and perverse in a way, since the goal is still to make cash.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^
    of course it could have been worse. but in a way the fact that it's disguised as a 'touching' tribute makes it all the more sneaky and perverse in a way, since the goal is still to make cash.
    Maybe I am just jaded?

*That should be a blog or website name. 'Just Jaded'

^^^
    oh, i'm not surprised or shocked or anything. i just find it in bad taste.

totally off topic but sputnik not sure if i've said it before, i love your michael caine avatar

Tacky as hell.

But hardly surprising. Big corporations=/=class
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

It's tasteless of course, considering that it was done just a few hours after he died. Had they waited a few days, it wouldn't have seemed so bad.

I've always hated Best Buy anyway, with their pretend sales.

This is just the start.

All of a sudden he's a hero?!

Heath gained millions of fans he would have never had ...just by dying.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    totally off topic but sputnik not sure if i've said it before, i love your michael caine avatar
    fanks!
    i love the man.

Quote Originally Posted by CCkissesx View Post
    I agree.

Everyone is a 'hero' in Australia when it suits the media.

Steve Irwin was a 'hero', even though he jumped around in front of animals like a kid with ADD.
    Shane Waugh was a 'hero', a womanizer and a cheater.
    Ben Cousins was a 'hero', a drug abuser and a clown.
    Bernie Banton was a 'hero', although a man who fought to the end, he wasn't always truthful.
    Kylie is a 'hero', for what? Surviving breast cancer... Please.

I just really despise our media sometimes. They will sink the boot right in when you're down, but throw you up on a pedestal when they feel like it. And glorify you to the point one would think you would be applicable to Sainthood when you're dead.

What gets me is that I don't think Heath received the appreciation in life that he is now getting in death, and that is a damn shame.
    I would only argue that anyone who battles breast cancer is a hero.

It's tacky. But hey, this is America, what do you expect? We show live feeds of corpses being hauled out on stretchers. We're all ghouls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information