Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: Benedict Cumberbatch Is Engaged to Sophie Hunter

I can see him in his mother, but the looks work on her - she was gorgeous.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Entertainment
    Benedict Cumberbatch sorry for 'coloured' comment

Benedict Cumberbatch says he's "devastated to have caused offence" after referring to black actors as "coloured" on a US talk show.
    He was talking about diversity in British acting when he said it.
    Anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card says the term is "outdated" and can cause offence.
    The Sherlock actor has since apologised and says he makes no excuse for "being an idiot".
    The Oscar-nominated actor was telling American television presenter Tavis Smiley that he believes Hollywood offers more opportunities for black actors than the UK does.
    He said: "I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK, and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here (in the US) than in the UK and that's something that needs to change."
    His comments were quickly criticised online and charity Show Racism the Red Card said that he had "highlighted the issue of appropriate terminology".
    They said: "The term 'coloured' is now outdated and has the potential to cause offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage."
    In a statement the 38-year-old said: "I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive.
    "The most shaming aspect of this for me is that I was talking about racial inequality in the performing arts in the UK and the need for rapid improvements in our industry when I used the term.
    "I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner, please be assured I have.
    "I apologise again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply."
    Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter, BBCNewsbeat on Instagram and Radio1Newsbeat on YouTube

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30994775
    Last edited by Linne; January 27th, 2015 at 04:02 AM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for 'colored actors' remark in U.S. interview - CNN.com

Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for 'colored actors' remark in U.S. interview

By Nick Thompson, CNN
    Updated 10:23 AM ET, Tue January 27, 2015

Story highlights

• Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for calling black actors "colored" on U.S. TV
    • British actor offers his "sincere apologies" after appearance on Tavis Smiley show
    • Star's comment came during conversation about lack of diversity in UK show business

(CNN)Oscar-nominated star Benedict Cumberbatch has apologized for referring to black actors as "colored" on a U.S. talk show.

The "12 Years a Slave" actor said he was an "idiot" and "devastated" at his choice of words during an interview with PBS' Tavis Smiley about the lack of diversity in the British film industry.

Cumberbatch, 38, told Smiley: "I think as far as colored actors go, it gets really difficult in the UK, and I think a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here [in the U.S.] than in the UK, and that's something that needs to change."

His comments were criticized by some observers on Twitter as being insensitive and out of touch. One user called Sonya Thomas asked: "Benedict Cumberbatch used the term 'coloured' to describe black actors. What year are we in?"

But Smiley, who is black, defended the "Sherlock" star on Monday, tweeting: "Those who saw Benedict Cumberbatch on @PBS, know he feels persons of color are underrepresented in #Hollywood."

The actor, who appeared on Smiley's show to discuss his Oscar-nominated role in "The Imitation Game," praised the efforts of Lenny Henry, a black British actor and comedian who has launched a campaign to ensure more ethnic minorities are employed in the UK media.

"Something's gone wrong -- we're not being representative enough in our culture of different races, and that really does need to step up a pace," Cumberbatch said. "It's clear when you see certain migratory patterns that there are more opportunities here than there are in the UK."

Cumberbatch issued the following statement to People magazine on Monday: "I'm devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done."

"I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive. The most shaming aspect of this for me is that I was talking about racial inequality in the performing arts in the U.K. and the need for rapid improvements in our industry when I used the term."

"I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner please be assured I have. I apologize again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply."

Anti-racism campaigners in the UK lamented Cumberbatch's use of the word as "outdated" but praised the actor for highlighting "a very important issue within the entertainment industry and within society."

"The lack of representation of people from black and ethnic minority backgrounds within certain industries in the UK is an issue which needs addressing, and we are pleased that Benedict has spoken out in support of more appropriate representation and of the views of actors and campaigners like Lenny Henry," a spokesperson from Show Racism the Red Card told CNN.

"In doing so, he has also inadvertently highlighted the issue of appropriate terminology and the evolution of language. Show Racism the Red Card feel that the term 'coloured' is now outdated and has the potential to cause offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage."

"Appropriate terminology differs from country to country; for example, we know that in some countries the term 'coloured' is still widely used, and that in the US the term 'people of colour' is quite common."

See the star's full interview on Tavis Smiley here.

Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for 'colored actors' remark in U.S. interview - CNN.com

At least he immediately realised he fucked up and apologised. That's important
    llamamama, Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.

There are rumours of upcoming Valentine Day wedding in London. Either that or his friends in twitter are trolling fans with veiled refereces to wedding weekend and top hats.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

I think a Valentine-wedding would be perfect for him.

He's a brilliant actor but seems like a very stupid man. They've been dating for eight months, she's six months pregnant, supposedly they sent out email invites because there wasn't time to print real ones. Top hats and tails at a Valentine's Day shotgun wedding announced in the Daily Mirror? Is he marrying Katie Price?

He's also going to be a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday, so apparently he's flying to the States right after the reception. He's trying to squeeze in an engagement, pregnancy and OTT wedding all in a single Oscar voting period.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

There is shitloads of confusing rumors going on. Email invites vs people who has seen paper invites. Wedding in London, now in Isle of White. I think this was an oops pregnancy after short dating. Engagement was announced when pregnancy hit 3 months, then save-the-date email sent and paper invites later. As is it pure publicity for Oscar campaign? I doubt it, it's not uncommon to couples to want to marry before baby is born and you would want to do it before last trimester. Who knows why they choose this date, maybe he will have time off after oscars and they can sail off to honeymoon. I'm sure that they are aware of pr aspects of this but until now it has been quite low radar. They have not appeared in tabloids with exclusive pics with naked belly shots so far.

Oh, you know, he was probably so busy tying her up and blindfolding her with artistically torn-up bits of Victorian velvet draperies that he forgot the condom. Shit happens.
    Brookie and Lalasnake like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Benedict Cumberbatch Marries Sophie Hunter - Couples, Wedding, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sophie Hunter : People.com

Benedict Cumberbatch Marries Sophie Hunter

Sophie Hunter and Benedict Cumberbatch
    Kevork Djansezian/Getty
    By Tara Fowler
    @waterfowlerta 02/14/2015 AT 11:20 AM EST

Those sounds you hear? They're the sobs of Cumberbabes across the world.

Benedict Cumberbatch is officially off the market. The Imitation Game actor tied the knot with theater director Sophie Hunter on Saturday.

The private ceremony took place at St. Peter and St. Paul's Church in Mottistone, located on the Isle of Wight in England. A reception followed at Mottistone Manor.

The medieval church was constructed in the 12th century. The manor is maintained by the National Trust and was first mentioned in the Domesday Book, which was completed in 1068. The oldest parts of the home that currently stands on the estate date back to the 15th century.

St. Peter and St. Paul's Church in Mattistone, England.
    FameFlynet

A local townsperson tells PEOPLE that Mottistone Manor has a special connection to Hunter as she is related to the Nicholson family, who live on the estate. The family, who are descendants of the 1st Lord Mottistone, bequeathed the estate to the National Trust in 1963.

"Seely family or Nicholson family now are tenants or residents even though they're the hereditary landowners," the organist at the church told PEOPLE. "Seely Family are the Lords and Ladies but they've sold their house to the National Trust. They live there or live on as tenants. They must have some sort of special agreement with the National Trust.

Another local told PEOPLE that the church is "very pretty," but probably would fit more with a small wedding.

"The church is not that big ... I would say maybe 100 people maximum would fit in there," they said. "It's a beautiful setting and very old English, very quaint and pretty."

Despite Hunter's connection to the town, locals tell PEOPLE that the couple brought in their own flowers, cake, and music for the wedding. Local florists and bakers confirmed that they were not making anything for the special occasion.

The scene of the wedding was low-key, with a group of about 12 well-wishers gathering to watch the arrivals at the church.

The Isle of Wight County Press reported that the groom spent the night before the wedding at the Royal Yacht Squadron, a prestigious yacht club founded in 1815 and whose patron is Queen Elizabeth II and the club's Admiral is Prince Philip.

The stars, who are expecting their first child together later this year, caused a stir in November when they announced their engagement the old-fashioned way: with a notice in the U.K.'s Times.

"It's what I would have done if I wasn't sort of famous," he told PEOPLE at the time. "It's what we do. It's a kind of traditional thing to do."

Cumberbatch, 38, and Hunter, 36, reportedly met on the set of Burlesque Fairytales in 2009. This is the first marriage for both.

While Cumberbatch has a notorious female following, he tells PEOPLE that Hunter isn't bothered by all the attention he receives.

"She's just so in command of it," he told PEOPLE of how she deals with his popularity with women. "It could be a difficult thing, but she's just really cool. It's really impressive."

He also said that the couple is floored by the response they received when they announced their engagement.

"One of the most incredible things about getting engaged, which we had no idea would be coming back our way, is the amount of love that just keeps flooding back, " he said. "I thought it was just all abut us declaring that we were in love and getting married, but actually it's the world going, 'We love you too!' It's amazing. Family, friends, the world ... it's amazing."

Reporting by MONIQUE JESSEN

Benedict Cumberbatch Marries Sophie Hunter - Couples, Wedding, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sophie Hunter : People.com

That church makes me wish I was single again just so I could get married there. *sigh*
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.

Their vendors have been promoting their services at this wedding on Twitter and Instagram the past couple of days, no doubt in exchange for freebies, which is tacky as hell. That's how the press knows all the details. Including that they're having a fireworks display and the mother of the bride's dress was white with gold sequins.

I'm curious as to whether this marriage is legal because they didn't post public notice. Stephen Fry wrote about the registry requirement in the UK on his blog. You have to post public notice of your marriage 15 days prior and lots of celebrities apply for waivers for privacy reasons but aren't allowed. Stephen was turned down but the registrar agreed to put the wrong date on the public notice so they could avoid the press. Cumberbatch and his bride never posted a public banns. But I don't understand how you can get a waiver for privacy (if they did) to avoid the press, then announce your wedding to various tabloids anyway? And have your vendors promoting the wedding on social media? Seems like a complete abuse of the process.

Tom H was present in the wedding.

Look at that dong!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Look at that dong!
    Lol, that was my ONLY thought, when I saw that pic.
    Lalasnake likes this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information