Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Ben Affleck Suppressed Family's Slave-Owning Past

Sadly that list is long enough. LOL
    mtlebay, czb, BrickHouse and 4 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I should have known better....

Elite Member

I don't get why he would want to suppress this information in the first place--like, what is the point of denying what happened? (Though after reading about Cumberbatch, I wonder if he's worried about being sued for reparations as well.) Why would he ask/expect PBS to violate their integrity (though I guess it worked)? And why would he be so stupid as to think the request to suppress it wouldn't come back on him?

I mean, if he's ashamed of his slave-holder ancestors for something that he himself isn't responsible for and can't go back and undo, he should be embarrassed by trying to manipulate the truth (something that he is responsible for).

Why are people such assholes anyway? (Sorry, just having one of those days.)
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

I'm german. My grandfather was active against the Holocaust. As long as she lived, his daughter, my (stupid crazy) aunt, believed that Hitler was a good man not responsible for what happened. I do not feel guilty about what has happened in Nazi-Germany, but responsible that it never happens again. I can't do more.
    effie2, sluce, A*O and 8 others like this.

A*O

There are still plenty of slaves around the world, many of whom suffer terrible treatment. The Middle East is one hotspot, especially our friends on the Saudi Arabian peninsula where the locals "employ" domestic or construction workers from places like Bangladesh or Vietnam. They live in squalid conditions, work brutal hours and suffer physical and sexual abuse. Their owners keep their passports so they have no ID and no way to get home.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Seriously? Do we not acknowledge the Nazis on a regular basis, who enslaved about 12 million people for forced labor? Or the japanese, who enslaved about 10 million during the same time period? Ever see Spartacus? Never heard anyone talk about what's happening in Darfur, or child soldiers? Sex trafficking in eastern Europe?
    I think the point coolade was trying to make was that no one brings up the white slaves of Europe and no one is pointing fingers at their owners' descendants the way people latch on to famous Americans with slave owner ancestors. You don't see calls for reparations for the descendants of the European slaves and you don't see anyone trying to guilt the Japanese ancestors of the Japanese responsible for those 10 million people who were enslaved. And no one is asking the black descendants of black slave owners for reparations either, or trying to shame them for the actions of their ancestors. It is a pretty big double standard...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That is what i meant,thank you A*O..I understood though that lately i ve become very defensive and ready to be offended about anything Greek.I apologize and promise i ll be more careful.I like that none of you called me out on it,maybe i ve gained your respect over the years.In my defense,the political situation puts so much pressure into us..honestly..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Weren't black slave owners in a lot of cases buying family members to keep them safe?
    Callalily likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I think the point coolade was trying to make was that no one brings up the white slaves of Europe and no one is pointing fingers at their owners' descendants the way people latch on to famous Americans with slave owner ancestors. You don't see calls for reparations for the descendants of the European slaves and you don't see anyone trying to guilt the Japanese ancestors of the Japanese responsible for those 10 million people who were enslaved. And no one is asking the black descendants of black slave owners for reparations either, or trying to shame them for the actions of their ancestors. It is a pretty big double standard...

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see too much shaming of people, famous or not, because their ancestors owned slaves. Not on a particular level. I mean, I see it generally directed at the South and southerners as a group, but not at people living today personally.

Which is why I don't get what Affleck did. Did he think people would show up with a bill? No one did it to Anderson Cooper as far as I know.

The Germans were made to pay though. Not that they shouldn't have........
    lindsaywhit likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it was stupid, because this stuff will invariably surface, but I wonder if they were concerned about backlash on their kids? I don't know anything, no inside information, but their oldest daughter especially looks so sweet, but maybe very sensitive? I don't know any parent (except Frank Ryan on Blue Bloods, lol), who hasn't made at least one pretty damn stupid choice/decision in an effort to protect their children.

Re: the Germans being made to pay, that worked because it was done immediately after ww2, and affected those directly involved. And reparations have been pretty much limited to victims or their direct descendants. I'm much more wary of any kind of attempt to request reparations for events that occurred centuries ago. I mean- how far back do you go? Because humanity has been committing atrocities forever. I think there should be a statute of limitations and once more than 50 years have gone by it starts to get iffy
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am pretty sure my family didn't own any slaves (I come from very poor families living in the Italian countryside, mostly farmers, possibly owned by land owners in the far past).
    However, if I found out that my ancestors did own slaves, I wouldn't want to hide it - I think trying to hide it is an awful reaction, since he is basically hiding one of the very likely reasons for his privileged status.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Weren't black slave owners in a lot of cases buying family members to keep them safe?
    I'm pretty sure most of them were just being slave owners, and not trying to help anyone, but themselves.
    Gossiplover likes this.

No. If you read the article I linked to, it does state some bought family members. But, as the historian as Monticello told us, some did not. Even those who bought family had the option to free them and didn't. That really got me. I can't judge because I have NO idea what the climate was like. Perhaps it was costly to file the paperwork and since they were owned by a family member being free didn't matter and wasn't worth the cost?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

and maybe some slaves didn't want to be freed? hard to imagine, isn't it?
    sluce and joebob like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information