Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Ben Affleck to live on $1.50 a day

I have never seen Ben market himself as a saint. His bad press from the Jenny days still pops up all the time. And once again, we have NO idea what Affleck donates towards poverty. Never did I say the general public doesn't get poverty but celebs do so please don't twist my words. I said there are people who do not understand the scope and that is true. If Affleck, or any other person who has a platform, brings attention and causes people to contemplate for a moment how they could possibly live on $1.50 per day, then benefit has come.

I have never understood the mentality that wealthy people have a greater obligation to solve the worlds problems. I would like to see everyone donate at the same percentage of what income they have left after paying for basic necessesities.
    McJag, Rusalka and BelledeJour like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    weeell,i ve known real hunger growing up in post war Greece and i could happily kick those brats in the mouth..I am sure all those digging for food in the trash cans wont be happy with Affleck,s suffering either.
    I've known true hunger just growing up poor. I've seen my dad kill our chickens so we would have something to eat. I've lived - along with my other 7 family members in a converted school bus with no running water. I know poverty - or I knew poverty as a child. Anyone (IMO) who can bring attention to this situation isn't doing any harm.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I have never seen Ben market himself as a saint. His bad press from the Jenny days still pops up all the time. And once again, we have NO idea what Affleck donates towards poverty. Never did I say the general public doesn't get poverty but celebs do so please don't twist my words. I said there are people who do not understand the scope and that is true. If Affleck, or any other person who has a platform, brings attention and causes people to contemplate for a moment how they could possibly live on $1.50 per day, then benefit has come.

I have never understood the mentality that wealthy people have a greater obligation to solve the worlds problems. I would like to see everyone donate at the same percentage of what income they have left after paying for basic necessesities.
    That's the clincher for me. If Affleck does it, then maybe Matt Damon will be inspired and it isn't doing any HARM to anyone. Using the platform that is available to him is not bad, not in my mind.
    McJag likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

After paying for basic necessities, there is nothing left of my income. That's why I understand poverty and Ben Affleck doesn't. Hell, each and every person on the planet gets poverty better than him and other rich celebrities. They abuse a cause like poverty to become even more famous and even richer. It's cynical and misanthropic to the core.
    effie2 likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

That assumption implies that every person of wealth has been wealthy their whole lives. Many are like Mel and grew up in poverty. Having wealth now does not mean they do not understand poverty. Hilary Swank grew up in poverty. Is she allowed to bring attention to the cause even though she now has wealth? A quick Google search shows lists of celebs who grew up in poverty. Many people who are making more than a million a year in business grew up poor. Even Ben grew up in a poor section of Cambridge where there was high crime and poverty.

I am personal friends with a woman who grew up with great wealth as an heir of the Campbell Soup company. She has never wanted for anything. To avoid boredom she got involved with charity work. She supports local hospitals and also is big on supporting education. She has never spent a moment of her life in fear that she could not afford to get sick. Nor has she ever worried about paying tuition for a top quality education for her kids and grandkids. Still she *gets* it.

God strike me down for saying this but, even Leann was poor as a child.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I was also poor. As a kid, my mom supported our family on $25K a year and not one dime of govt assistance. Just in the past 5 years, I had to go on Medicaid when we went bankrupt and they put us on food assistance when I lost my job. I get it.

I am not going to bash Ben. Compared to other celebrities, I think he does more in regard to charitable donations and giving back (from what I've read.) I don't see Beyonce doing anything, or the Kardashians. I'm not going to bash Ben because he's trying to help. So many not for profit agencies are desperate for any amount of money or publicity they can get, since any federal grants/funding has dried up.

So since I'm back on my feet and hubby and I will make 6 figures this year, should I have to give it all away because there are people less fortunate than myself? I've worked my tail off for the past 3 years eating Ramen noodles to get my business off the ground. Everyone has the same opportunities as me if they work at it.
    McJag likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Celebrities who own mega mansions and private jets should STFU about poverty all together. That includes each and every last one of these pretentious HW assholes. So your pr team told you to support some cause in order to better your image and make even more money? Don't choose poverty, you cynical fucking asshat, have some fucking decency.

Agreed. Its just makes him look like a ridiculous stunt queen.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Everyone has the same opportunities as me if they work at it.
    No. Both globally and here in the US, not everyone does. Which is part of the problem of real poverty.

It's great that you had opportunities and were able to capitalize on them even when it was a struggle, but there are millions of people worldwide who do not have them.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hey-some is better than none. At least he is making an attempt. At the same time I think his wife should start by tipping waitstaff decently and not sitting on every dime. Charity brgins at home.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Hey-some is better than none. At least he is making an attempt. At the same time I think his wife should start by tipping waitstaff decently and not sitting on every dime. Charity brgins at home.
    Ooohh I didn't know about that. That is a big no no for me. Cheap bitch.
    We have a few homeless that live in the woods by us and I've talked about how Jimmy cleans out our fridge and gives them the leftovers. Now whenever it rains, homeless Joe and his dog Romeo come hunker down in our shed. I can't wait for hurricane season, I can just see him feeling bad and moving them into the house.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    No. Both globally and here in the US, not everyone does. Which is part of the problem of real poverty.

It's great that you had opportunities and were able to capitalize on them even when it was a struggle, but there are millions of people worldwide who do not have them.
    Sure, someone in Zambia may not have the same opportunity, but in the US, yes they do. Depends on how motivated you are. Motivation will find a way. If you don't have aspirations to be anything other than a clerk at WalMart or a welfare queen, then you won't be anything more than that. But I find it total BS when people claim that everyone in the US doesn't have the same opportunities to better themselves. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I was on the board of our local YWCA and saw the daily struggles of impoverished youth. Some made it, some didn't. Depends on personal drive. If you want out of poverty bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. Otherwise, no one would ever make it out of poverty. Most are content to go the easy way.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I don't believe personal drive is the only factor. YMMV. I find it total BS when people blame the impoverished for their situation. They aren't all lazy bastards with no higher ambitions than 'welfare queen'.

There is a lot more to escaping poverty- real poverty- not 'college educated, home owning but strapped tight for money'- than drive.
    shedevilang, flummoxed and sluce like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Normally I would agree that motivation is a big factor, but its definitely not the only one. And in this economy, motivation don't mean jack.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I agree it's definitely an important part of the puzzle.

I think it can be much more difficult in certain areas of the US. Specifically, areas like California and New York. I've had many friends back in Maryland and even some in Florida, who lost jobs and were able to get a job at a department store and still be able to keep a foreclosure at bay, lights on and some food on the table. The cost of living is much more reasonable in those areas than it is here in Southern California. The difference in income here and in Maryland isn't that different, however the cost of housing here compared the cost of housing in Maryland is pretty great. There is really no way a part time job or a job working at Nordstrom or Walmart would cover your mortgage payment. Plus, it's almost impossible to get your kids on Medi-Cal or Medicare out here. You would have to make less than 47K (I think). I have friends out here who lost everything. Houses, cashed in 401K's, sold a car, jewelry, etc. Childcare costs are also through the roof. Roughly $1500 per month for an infant, $1200 for a pre-K kid with a 5 - 10% discount for each additional child.

As for what Ben's doing, if it brings attention to the issue, then great.

I give him props. I'm not doing it. Even if it is a PR stunt, I still wouldn't do it. My wine alone costs $10 a day.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information