Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Barbra Streisand's dog 'attacks flight attendant on private plane'

Maybe the flight attendant is a crazy cat lady and the dog could smell her evil felines and went for it.
    sputnik, sluce, Beeyotch and 4 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    I have no tolerance for aggressive dogs. To me, it's a deal breaker. The reality is there are going to be times that humans get in a dog's space. A dog must be socialized to accept the presence of humans without putting their teeth on them. Dogs have other options. When they choose not to take those other options and bite instead, they are unsafe. No excuses should be made for a biting dog.

Too many people, adults and children, have been harmed by biting dogs. Too many people make excuses for the dog.
    I agree it was a bad decision but it was still Bab's fault. The owner should know how the dog will react to a stranger's approach. If the owner doesn't know, the owner should err on the side of caution and crate or otherwise restrain the dog.

Even if a person pets an unknown dog, if the dog bites the owner is liable.

Dogs should be socialized to tolerate stranger/human interaction for safety reasons. If a dog exhibits aggressive traits the owner should implement management strategies (muzzle, crating, etc.) to keep humans safe.

There is something wrong with an animal that bites hard enough to require stitches without giving warnings first. The dog could have growled instead, bared his teeth, or air snapped but it didn't. It bit and it bit hard.

I make no excuses for dog aggression. It is a very real and very serious problem.
    This, all of it. No excuses.

People making surrogate children of their cats and dogs, and then being totally permissive with them, isn't such a potential problem with cats. Cats don't generally maul people to death, or even spontaneously bite hard. They always telegraph their feelings very clearly, too--if they don't like you, they run and hide or hiss, strike out, etc. ("Aloof", my ass! Cats are drama queens.)

I'm lucky. My cats are all gentle, friendly creatures who make great hosts and hostesses. They're so skilled at turning on the cute overload it's disgusting. The only dicey one is the little fat tuxedo girl who will talk your ear off and groom you because that is her way of saying "I'm your friend!" The grooming may include a nip, to kill an imaginary flea, but she never breaks the skin and then she will lick you half to death. I always warn people, though! Even without the, er, flea removal procedure, most normal people don't want their hand covered with cat spit.

But yeah, dogs. It's crazy the way owners will attack the person their dog bit. A friend of mine used to joke that it's a lot like how a serial killer's mom tearfully insists that the cops MUST have the wrong guy, because her son is a SAINT.

It's not the dog's fault either though. It's the owner's fault because the dog is their responsibility. In Barbra's case, if it were a new dog maybe I'd think differently, but she's had this (adorable...) critter for 12 years. Crate the little curmudgeon, Babs. I'm sure she'll line said crate with cashmere and have it scented with special aromatherapy oils daily, so he'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    At first, I thought that was Barbra's pooch on Robert's head...

Down toupee, bad, bad toupee.
    Toupee would be a hysterical name for a fluffball doggie. Saving for future usage.
    BITTER likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    An acquaintance of mine has the most lovely little Maltese. She ALWAYS has to yell at kids to get away from it because they just go right up to the doggie and wanna play with it and that little jerk bites. Based on that experience, if my kid goes near any dog I always keep him back and ask the owner if it's ok for my kid to pet the dog and if their dog is friendly. Have gotten a lot of snooty attitude from dog owners because I dare take that precaution but fuck them. My kid is completely animal crazy and I don't want to take the chance with the one snippy lapdog or some old dog going senile or whatever might be wrong which could result in my kid getting bitten.

I don't think Streisand is to blame here. 12 is pretty old for a dog so it's possible the little guy was just stressed. The FA should have been more careful.
    Thank you.

I've been involved with animal rescue for years, and have adopted and fostered lots of cats and dogs. I have almost 1/2 acre fenced in, so when they get a big dog that needs fostering, they usually call me, especially with German Shepherds, Rotties, & Pits, since we have two of each - all lovely, affectionate, and mostly obedient - certainly not biters. (Well, except for the one who tried to attack the guy who was supposed to do some work in my house, but it turns out he was a pedo on the sex offender list.)

Still, it stuns me when I'm out with one or more dogs and people let their children run right up to the dogs!?! WTF??? I always feel like a public service announcement as I smile, put my hand in the stop sign, and say, (insert sing-songy tone with gritted teeth), "yes, my dog is friendly, but it's important with any dog, especially one you don't know, to ask your parents first - then they can make sure it's okay with the dog's owners, right?" (Real meaning: Fucking moronic parents)

Having said that, it is my responsibility to control my dogs. I've been bitten - once - by a Rottie used in dog fights, and it hurts! Small dogs can be just as aggressive, even though they can't cause as much damage, and their owners have just as much responsibility.

We haven't had any Barbra Streisand Diva stories for a while. Is this her one dog or is she surrounded by dogs like Barbara Cartland, the Queen (Mother) etc? It might be part of her image to take different dogs everywhere.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Thank you.

I've been involved with animal rescue for years, and have adopted and fostered lots of cats and dogs. I have almost 1/2 acre fenced in, so when they get a big dog that needs fostering, they usually call me, especially with German Shepherds, Rotties, & Pits, since we have two of each - all lovely, affectionate, and mostly obedient - certainly not biters. (Well, except for the one who tried to attack the guy who was supposed to do some work in my house, but it turns out he was a pedo on the sex offender list.)

Still, it stuns me when I'm out with one or more dogs and people let their children run right up to the dogs!?! WTF??? I always feel like a public service announcement as I smile, put my hand in the stop sign, and say, (insert sing-songy tone with gritted teeth), "yes, my dog is friendly, but it's important with any dog, especially one you don't know, to ask your parents first - then they can make sure it's okay with the dog's owners, right?" (Real meaning: Fucking moronic parents)

Having said that, it is my responsibility to control my dogs. I've been bitten - once - by a Rottie used in dog fights, and it hurts! Small dogs can be just as aggressive, even though they can't cause as much damage, and their owners have just as much responsibility.
    As a pug dog lover (yeah, I got stuck on the breed, I scour Petfinder for ones to rescue) I know that pugs are generally very even tempered and all of mine have been harmless, yet I always wind up doing the PSA thing too....kid runs up and gets in my puggie's face and gets kisses all over, then I think to myself "uh oh, this sets a bad precedent that this kid (and dumbass parent) will think it's ok to get in ANY dog's face." So I do my little speech, and they seem to think I'm an asshole. But eh, if it saves a kid's face from being used as a chew toy, I'm cool with being an asshole.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Maybe the flight attendant is a crazy cat lady and the dog could smell her evil felines and went for it.
    Oi!

I think the dog was probably acting to defend its mistress. It was in an enclosed space, sat with Babs and then someone tries reaching in and... NOM!
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I still think you should ask before you pet any dog or cat or you might be asking for trouble.
    Beeyotch, Geest, Kittylady and 2 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Yes Kitty, was about to write the same. Some dogs are overprotective.

As a dog owner, I am responsible for the behaviour of my dogs. If I'd know there's going to be a possibility that my dog bites, and for some circumstances I can't put my dog in a cage or something I would tell everyone around me to please not pet my dog and just leave it alone. After all, a flight is very stressful. And as much as I love to pet every animal that isn't able to run away from me, I never pet a dog without permission from its owner.
    czb, lindsaywhit and yanna like this.
    -

I have no tolerance for aggressive dogs. To me, it's a deal breaker. The reality is there are going to be times that humans get in a dog's space. A dog must be socialized to accept the presence of humans without putting their teeth on them. Dogs have other options. When they choose not to take those other options and bite instead, they are unsafe. No excuses should be made for a biting dog.

Too many people, adults and children, have been harmed by biting dogs. Too many people make excuses for the dog.
    My parents had an aggressive dog that attacked children and they refused to see that the dog was a problem. Their neighborhood got a petition to have the dog removed, but nothing ever came of it. Then that little fucker attacked my oldest kid when he was about 7, and they finally got it that the stupid dog shouldn't be around kids.

It could be age as well. In the last year of her life my dog, the sweetest most gentle girl in the world, became intolerant of other dogs and actually growled at a person once (she may have disliked his frisbee noise), so the trips to the dog park ended and I kept her away from guests just in case. I didn't have much choice as she was all shoulders and chest, her breed being a herd and working dog to pull sleds and such.

She was too protective of me to continue lunging at someone if it was going to pull me over, but she may have gone for it if my husbands or boys were holding her.
    Kittylady and lindsaywhit like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I never could stand that ugly, entitled bitch.
    Piss off!

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    You should always wave your hand under the nose of a dog that's not familiar with your scent as you approach it before patting it on the top of the head or outside its line of sight. If the dog didn't see her and just felt her hand on him he might have reacted to it. My friend's 14 year old dog is going deaf and blind and we have to approach with caution when he doesn't see us coming or he'll snap.
    You're right. You never approach a dog from overhead. Especially one you don't know. In my line of work I meet pets daily. Sometimes people will put them up (or offer to) and sometimes not. I let the dog come to me. If I do anything with my hand it goes low so the dog can sniff it first. If he's tail wagging and friendly I might pet him, otherwise I just ignore the dog and when he sees I'm ok to be around/not a threat....and that I'm not scared of him...everything is fine. You just about can't work my job unless you know how to handle yourself around pets of all kind.

Good lawd if I had to be bitten by a dog I'd rather it be Barbra Streisand's. Cha-ching. Jackpot!
    rollo, faithanne and greysfang like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information