Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Annie Lennox: Beyonce’s feminism is ‘feminist lite… it’s tokenistic to me’

Quote Originally Posted by lulu09 View Post
    i'm a fan of melissa harris-perry on msnbc. unfortunately, she's a fan of beyonce. i may have mentioned it before.
    Too bad, a bright and articulate woman like Melissa, slobbering over a mediocre talent like Beyonce.
    Callalily, arie_skop and SillyME54 like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Bronze Member

I think feminism means different things to different people.

If I picture the color blue in my head, why would anybody try to convince me that the color blue that they imagine is the right one and the exact shade that I must see?

Because there is an actual science to color, whereas feminism simply means believing that all people are entitled to the same civil rights, liberties and protections and can be intellectual equals regardless of gender.
    idunno, arie_skop, sputnik and 2 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Annie Lennox is doing press these days to promote her new album, Nostalgia, which is almost entirely jazz standards and the like (think Cole Porter and Gershwin). Usually I think the whole idea of pop singers putting out jazz-standard albums is a pretty blatant money-grab/relevancy-clutch, but in Annie’s case… I’d really like to hear her do Gershwin and Cole Porter. I ]imagine it’s enchanting because Annie is a goddess]/icon/queen.

The last time I covered her, she had mentioned – almost in passing – that she didn’t really care for Beyonce’s style of feminism. Annie branded Beyonce “feminist lite.” It didn’t really seem like shade-throwing, more like an intellectual assessment of what it means to be a feminist historically and where Beyonce falls short. Well, Annie has a new interview withThe Daily Beast and they asked her about the Beyonce stuff again. Once again, Annie didn’t back down and she didn’t get personal. She’s enjoying this conversation!

Lennox said she thought she was being asked in general terms. And yes, she considers Beyoncé a bit less than women like Eve Ensler, author of The Vagina ]Monologues. “There is a spectrum in feminism, it’s very broad. It’s very contentious and it’s really complicated.”
    “What has happened is I’ll have said something in a sentence, fairly innocuous, and of course the editors look for those little things to tease, they go though it with a fine tooth comb and pull that one thing and make a strapline on top of it,” she says. “They’re all about making it into some sort a battle… I’m thrilled to see the word ‘feminist’ behind Beyoncé, are you kidding me? I think it’s fantastic.”

That said, Lennox does have issues with the way the way the word “feminism” has been thrown around. “There’s a mixed message,” she says. “If you twerk, if you stick out your whatever, if you do that, you’re empowered. That’s where we’re at right now: twerking is synonymous with feminism. I do not agree. It‘s not empowerment from my perspective. It’s demeaning. There’s nothing wrong with sexuality. Sexuality is a fantastic thing, but in performance when people have a very young audience, it’s totally inappropriate.”

[From The Daily Beast]

Cele|bitchy | Annie Lennox: ‘Twerking is synonymous with feminism. I do not agree.’
    sparkles and Sunrider like this.

I don't usually watch The View but will today because Annie is performing and discussing her concerns about young female performers today.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I don't usually watch The View but will today because Annie is performing and discussing her concerns about young female performers today.
    Me too. She is so eloquent. She totally explained what she meant by the Beyonce quote.

Yes, and I loved the performance. There is no lip synching with this talented lady.
    tulip likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information