Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Annie Lennox: Beyonce’s feminism is ‘feminist lite… it’s tokenistic to me’

I never understood how Beyonce was classified as a feminist. But these days the word feminism is mis-used by female celebrities. And, I find using their sex appeal is one way of being named the most powerful or richest celebrities.

Yeah sure, Beyonce is a feminist.

And this is an ocean liner:
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I don't think anyone ever called Beyonce a feminist except Beyonce herself.
    BelledeJour, arie_skop and Sorce like this.

bell hooks' most recent talk addresses the cultural and societal issues with Beyoncé-style feminism, and she nailed it. This is just a marketed image and nothing genuine right now, IMO.

Bronze Member

i'm a fan of melissa harris-perry on msnbc. unfortunately, she's a fan of beyonce. i may have mentioned it before.

it kills me because she thinks beyonce is the epitome of a feminist.

I just read the blind where allegedly Beyonce didn't even write her feminist manifesto.

Wait, what is not "feminist" about posing all the time in a bikini for (photoshopped) pictures you post on instagram, being married to a guy who once hit a woman in front of a camera and - if you want to believe those rumours - is cheating on you all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I just read the blind where allegedly Beyonce didn't even write her feminist manifesto.
    You have to be able to spell to do that.
    She has about as much brains as her weaves do.
    rollo and lindsaywhit like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

But she writes her own songs lol?!
    rollo and Sorce like this.

^Beyonce is well known for taking lyrics from someone else, changing maybe two words and so getting all the credits..
    arie_skop, Sorce and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BelledeJour View Post
    ^Beyonce is well known for taking lyrics from someone else, changing maybe two words and so getting all the credits..
    Does that mean she receives all royalties ???

Here is what I found about this topic:

Discussing their monster hit song ‘Irreplaceable’ and the fact that Beyonce often takes credit for writing the song, Ne-Yo made it clear that she only wrote the background harmonies. However, he did insist that Beyonce’s work was a key aspect of the songwriting process because she helped to make the song even better than its original composition.

Shortly after the release of Beyoncé’s 2009 power ballad “Halo,” OneRepublic front man Ryan Tedder’s original demo of the song leaked online — and it was virtually identical to Beyoncé’s finished product. So why did Beyoncé receive writing credit on “Halo”? In a recent interview with The Guardian, Tedder said of the controversy surrounding “Halo”:
    I can’t speak for all of the songs that [Beyoncé] does but I’ll say this: she does stuff on any given song that, when you go from the demo to the final version, takes it to another level that you never would have thought of as the writer. For instance, on Halo, that bridge on her version is completely different to my original one. Basically, she came in, ditched that, edited it, did her vocal thing on it and now it’s become one of my favourite parts of the song. The whole melody, she wrote it spontaneously in the studio. So her credit on that song stems from that.

(...)

In the Vanity Fair article, Beyonce also claims to have “written” seven No. 1 songs. Again, not exactly. Her name is on them all. But “Independent Woman, Pt. 1” was authored by Samuel J. Barnes and Jean Claude Olivier, tweaked by producer Cory Rooney and added to by …Beyonce. Olivier and Barnes also worked on constructing Jennifer Lopez’s “Jenny from the Block.”
    “Say My Name,” a big Destiny’s Child hit, was written by Rodney Jerkins, his brother Freddie and Rodney’s writing partner LeShawn Daniels. The names of the four girls from the group were added again, so they could share in the collection of royalties.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/22267-beyonce-covers-times-most-influential-issue-but-does-she-deserve-to-maybe-not

Music producer Soundz, who’s worked with Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and Ciara, says that Houstonian Beyonce isn’t the songwriter she claims to be. (He produced Usher’s song “Love in the Club Pt. II” that featured Beyonce.) So why does her name get listed as one of the writers when she had no input? According to Soundz, it’s all about money and power, and she does it because she can.
    Well, she promotes the record to the highest level. She’s the best in the game at promoting a record and when she does one of your records you’ll get a single, radio, commercials and movies. There are so many different types of money that comes with Beyonce when you do a record for her so it’s kind of like the price of admission – the price to get all the other aspects is that you have to pay a little bit.
    She’ll want a little publishing and that’s guaranteed; she’s going to ask for it and you’re going to give it to her; no ifs, ands or buts. She’s going to make that record the biggest hit in the world so give her that publishing. She’ll take about 20%.

(Sorry for all this mess...somehow I am not able to get the whole text to have the same font and size)
    rollo, arie_skop and Sunrider like this.

The thing is, she is good at presentation. She's always touring, making vidoes, appearing on tv and at events, filming, perfecting her dance moves and she can sing. That doesn't make her a feminist but it makes her a damn hard worker since her teens.

Yeah, no surprise there. And it was hardly a "manifesto". Just unoriginal, cliched platitudes about feminism that we've all heard before -so maybe she did write it.... It was almost as embarrassing as her "poem" to the First Lady.

i really hate that people call beyonce a feminist. It really saddens and scares me to think that young girls these days will think of beyonce when they think of a feminist. Beyonce is a fraud and she needs to sit her ass down because she clearly has no idea what the fuck she's talking about. I haven't listened to her latest album - the one being touted as a "triump for feminism" - but the few that I have heard make me go WTF?!?! How the hell is this considered empowering to women?!?!

Emma Watson? Jennifer Lawrence? These aren't the feminists you're looking for by Roxanne Gay

Recently, a young woman asked me how we can make feminism more accessible to men. I told her that I don’t care about making feminism more accessible to men. In truth, I don’t care about making feminism more accessible to anyone

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ists-celebrity

This is a good article talking about feminists celebrity.
    BelledeJour likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information