Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ann Curry Will Be Fired As Co-Host of the Today Show Because Everybody Hates Her

I like Savannah! She is actually bright. How many other co-hosts get to do the evening news?? Plus she is a legal anaylist. Super bright.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^Not necessarily. Most of the Fox news bimbos are legal analysts.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Is Hugh Downs available?
    No shit. He's 91 and still more lively and likable than Savannah. I have no doubt she's very bright, but she's not very personable, imo.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Matt Lauer
    People Are Screaming
    Bad Things At Me!!!

EXCLUSIVE

Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades. Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired. Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary. He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault. But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy. He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default. Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck. They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding. As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready. He's not there yet."

Read more: Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com

You guys should read some of the comments at bottom of page, they are hysterical

Matt Lauer -- People Are Screaming At Me On the Streets | TMZ.com

Matt was not the cause of Ann being removed. Ann was the cause. She tested low in every focus group and should have never been selected to replaced Meredith. They then made a bigger mistake with Savannah. Matt is full of himself but the blame here is not his.
    bonnie lass likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

You tell them, Sluce. I have often sent back the Curry if it wasn't just right.
    sluce, Brookie, Laurent and 3 others like this.

Elite Member

He might not be the cause of Curry's demise, but I can't stand Matt Lauer. He has always grated. So, I'm fine with people yelling at him for whatever reason.
    darksithbunny and Neptunia like this.

fgg

Matt Lauer: 'Today,' NBC Handled Ann Curry Crisis Badly

Matt Lauer offered to resign from "Today" during the height of the crisis over Ann Curry's ouster, The Daily Beast's Howard Kurtz wrote on Monday.

In the piece, Lauer also offers his most extensive comments to date about the Curry saga, which has seen "Today" hit with some of the worst publicity in its 60-year history and has helped keep the show firmly in second place for almost a year.

“I don’t think the show and the network handled the transition well," Lauer tells Kurtz. "You don’t have to be Einstein to know that. It clearly did not help us. We were seen as a family, and we didn’t handle a family matter well.”

The piece is also clearly part of an effort to lift some of the bad publicity that has clung to Lauer in the wake of the debacle. Lauer was immediately hit with most of the blame for Curry's departure. People yelled at him on the street and his popularity plunged dramatically.

NBC executives have been trying, without success, to convince the public that Lauer did not encourage Curry's departure. Kurtz, who has published some of their explanations before, follows this line, saying that Lauer warned that the firing was a "disaster" waiting to happen and was desperate to slow the process of her ouster down, but was overruled by top executives. In a sign of the bunker mentality at NBC, top executives were reportedly mad at Curry for having the audacity to cry on air after being fired from her dream job.

There are other interesting revelations in the piece. In 2011, Lauer admitted that he and Katie Couric had been talking about starting a new daytime show together. Kurtz writes that Lauer actually tried to get Couric to return to "Today" and be a co-host with him and Curry while the show was in development. Then, he planned to leave the show. Obviously, the deal fell through, and Lauer signed a mammoth new deal.

Matt Lauer: 'Today,' NBC Handled Ann Curry Crisis Badly

link to kurtz's piece:

Matt Lauer
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Money talks.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ha, I am old and this is nothing new. I remember when Jane Pauley was ousted by Deborah Norville in 1990. Rumor had it Bryant Gumble was pulling the strings on that one. The whole thing blew up in their faces via massive ratings drops and disgruntled viewers, and after Norville went on maternity leave a year or so later, she was quietly terminated and replaced by Katie Couric.
    JazzyGirl and Callalily like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Matt Lauer to Be Replaced on TODAY Show?

Entertainment
    March 14, 2013 AT 1:45PM
    By Justin Ravitz

David Gregory; Matt Lauer; Willie Geist
    Credit: Getty (3)

Are Matt Lauer's days on the TODAY couch numbered? A new piece in The New York Times delves into the morning show's continued ratings slump as it languishes in the number two spot behind rival Good Morning America -- and suggests that the network is seriously considering replacing co-anchor Lauer, 55.

During a recent staff meeting, the Times reports, an executive told the staffers of the embattled show: "What matters most is the anchor connection to the audience; what we need to work on is the connection."

"What they meant was Matt," a staff member told the Times. "But no one would say it." Lauer, whom some blame for the messy departure of co-anchor Ann Curry back in June, has seen his "Q Score," a measure of TV likability, plummet from 19 in September 2011 to 9 this January. Rumors continue to circulate that Lauer could be replaced by fellow TODAY stars Willie Geist or David Gregory.

In response to the Times piece, a show source tells Us Weekly: "NBC News has no plans to replace Matt Lauer. Everyone at the show hopes he stays for many years to come." As for the account of the staff meeting, in which Lauer's "anchor connection to the audience" was supposedly called into question? "The connection they were referring to was the connection viewers like to see between anchors and the stories on the show," the source argues.

In a recent Daily Beast interview, Lauer finally opened up about Curry's departure and the ensuing bad press, concurring that the network didn't handle the "transition" as well as it could have. In the story, other network executives defended Lauer, and insisted he was not responsible for Curry's exit.

A rep for NBC News had no comment about the Times story.
    Read more: Matt Lauer to Be Replaced on TODAY Show? - UsMagazine.com
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

fgg

i happen to love willie geist and think he'd be great. i thought that was the apparent plan when they brought him on.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Read more: Matt Lauer to Be Replaced on TODAY Show? - UsMagazine.com
    Couldn't happen to a more deserving scumbag.

Matt Lauer, Ann Curry Today Show Fallout Was "Personal": "Everybody Understood That Ann Was Kicked Out of Her Position Because Matt Didn't Want Her There"

Celebrity News
    March 25, 2013 AT 1:45PM
    By Joyce Chen

Al Roker, Ann Curry, Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie appear on NBC News' "Today" show.
    Credit: Peter Kramer/NBC/NBC NewsWire via Getty

Ann Curry's seemingly abrupt oust from the Today show last June didn't come as a huge surprise to many of her colleagues, a new cover story for New York magazine reveals. In fact, reporter Joe Hagan writes, her fate at the top-rated NBC morning talk show was, in a way, sealed from the get-go because of the obvious lack of chemistry between her and co-host Matt Lauer.

"Everybody at NBC, everybody at the Today show, everybody understood that Ann was kicked out of her position because Matt didn't want her there," a prominent NBC staffer told Hagan. "That's why it was so personal between Ann and Matt."

Don Nash, a current executive producer for the show, added that there was just no hiding the pair's lackluster banter on-screen.

"You can't fake it for very long that early in the morning," he told Hagan. "I think viewers have a sixth sense about all that. If your two anchors don't like each other off the air, they're not going to be fooled if they love each other on the air."

Curry, 55, took Meredith Vieira's place in the co-anchor slot in June 2011 shortly after the former View co-host announced her decision to leave to spend more time with her ailing husband. After a few months of on-air awkwardness, however, Lauer was reportedly so fed up that he was ready to bolt out the door.

"Off air, Curry and Lauer had no relationship and barely spoke," Hagan writes. "When she started, Curry had asked Lauer out for lunch to get advice, but Lauer seemed to drag his feet scheduling it and Curry felt he didn't offer much. … with Curry, who threw off his rhythm and also threatened his dominance of the hard-news stories, he could often look sour."

Adding to his frustrations was the fact that Lauer, 55, had recently found out that NBC had been in talks to bring American Idol host Ryan Seacrest onto the network -- possibly to replace him. To make matters worse, Lauer reportedly caught wind of the rumors while at a White House Christmas party, where he was waiting at security after Curry had forgotten her driver's license.

"By early last year, Lauer seemed to his colleagues to be growing more and more disgruntled," Hagan adds. "He began getting more involved in the daily story lineup, getting in fights with producers and tearing the show up in the early-morning hours. He made it clear to friends that he was miserable with Curry and uncomfortable with his corporate masters at Comcast."

"He spoke often of downsizing his work life, playing more golf, spending more time with his kids in the Hamptons," Hagan continues.

One of the places Lauer had been looking to escape to amid all the tumultuous discussions at NBC was rival network ABC, Hagen reveals. In fact, Lauer had been hoping to develop a daytime talk show with his former co-host Katie Couric, and had even spoken with Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, about the possible move.

Things seemed like they would move forward, and ABC executives were excited about the possible new addition to their team, but ultimately, Hagan writes, Lauer "surprised them all by calling and saying thanks but no thanks."

In the end, Lauer stayed on the Today show because he said he "cared about the show and staff" -- and a hefty paycheck, to the tune of "a reported $25 million a year to work four days a week."

A few months later, in June 2012, Curry was ousted from the Today show, and Lauer would go on to shoulder much of the blame for her sudden, emotional departure.

"It was a hard time for everybody," he said in an interview with the Daily Beast earlier this month. "I don't think the show and the network handled the transition well. You don't have to be Einstein to know that."

"It clearly did not help us," he continued. "We were seen as a family, and we didn't handle a family matter well."
    Read more: Matt Lauer, Ann Curry Today Show Fallout Was "Personal": "Everybody Understood That Ann Was Kicked Out of Her Position Because Matt Didn't Want Her There" - UsMagazine.com

Thread Information