Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ann Curry Will Be Fired As Co-Host of the Today Show Because Everybody Hates Her

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Matt Lauer turns ‘anchor animal’

As “Today” sinks in the ratings, Matt Lauer has become an “anchor animal” behind the scenes, NBC sources say, adding that he’s taken control of the show and berates staff who are no longer allowed to even mention rival “Good Morning America” around him.

Sources tell us that fired-up Lauer recently inserted himself into all key decisions on “Today,” and is basically executive-producing the show himself while telling staff they’re not trying hard enough.

“Matt’s turned into an anchor animal,” said a network source. “He’s making all editorial decisions, he’s running the show and he’s not listening to anyone . . . it’s a huge problem.”

Preliminary ratings reveal that “GMA” is primed to win a third consecutive week against once-dominant “Today,” and such numbers, sources say, are driving Matt mad.

“He has gone so crazy about ratings that staff on ‘Today’ are not even allowed to mention ‘GMA’ to him,” a source says. “In the past, they’d discuss great segments other shows do. Matt’s berating the staff, telling them to work harder.”

Another insider says, “Matt’s telling the staff they don’t work hard enough, which is hard to take from a guy working four days a week, making millions.”

But a source close to Lauer counters, “Matt is the biggest advocate for the ‘Today’ show staff, and we feel comfortable talking to him about anything.” The source added Lauer’s been reaching out to staffers to come to him and share ideas.

Lauer and executive producer Jim Bell have been “meeting to discuss issues with the show and how to fix it,” we’re told.

Meanwhile, there are ongoing discussions for “Morning Joe” co-host Willie Geist to join “Today” from MSNBC, and we hear that Izzy Povich, exec producer of “The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell,” could also be joining “Today.”

When asked to comment, Lauer told us: “Please print this story — it’s the most interesting and dangerous I’ve ever sounded!” Bell added, “By the way, I’m the producer of the ‘Today’ show.”

Read more: Matt Lauer’s turned into an “anchor animal” on “Today” - NYPOST.com

Matt - it's not the staff.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've been curious since they ousted Ann what they'd do if the ratings didn't improve.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm sad to report that the contact I have at Today has resigned for a new position. I am sure they will still get inside info. I am happy for them since they will now be working with a different network and work more normal hours which will allow them more family time.

Last I heard, they are not happy with Savannah and do not feel she is settleing into the role. Focus groups show they would prefer Natalie in the role or a totally different person. ETA - Matt still has high numbers with the focus groups. People like him in the role.

My personal opinion - Savannah is sweet but I don't enjoy her as co-host. I also feel they destroyed the show when Comcast began to use it to promote all the reality shows on the trashy networks they own.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Matt - it's not the staff.
    I take the NYpost article with a grain of salt and no -it's not the staff, it's not just the on air people either - its also how NBC itself promotes the trash that's out there. They (NBC) needs to take responsibility for the executive decisions in general. Seacrest? Kardashians? gag me.
    Last edited by JazzyGirl; September 19th, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: ETA: and what Sluce said too!
    louiswinthorpe111 and nana51 like this.

fgg

sluce - i told you to tell them that savannah would suck! natalie, tamryn, jenna or the blonde one that left a few months ago all would have worked.
    sluce likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Exactly right. Stop interviewing the Duggars, Kardashians, the Lohans, Kate Gosselin, and whatever other reality trash is out there and focus on better content.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I thought I would always be a "Today" fan, but I almost never watch it anymore. I put it on first, then soon switch it because they have crap on. I don't care about the Kardasians, "Housewives" or Seacrest. I want REAL news in the morning so have to channel surf until I find someone doing the news.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

I don't enjoy Savannah and I think they made a mistake bringing her on as Ann's replacement. I don't find her pleasant to look at or listen to. She has a somewhat hard quality about her - not the perky look that Katie and Meredith had, and not the very classically put together look that Ann had. She always seems to be frowning or struggling to smile, and looking at that scowl is not how I want to start my morning.

The first interview I saw with her was with Reince Priebus. I don't care what her personal opinions are, but I wanted to see an impartial interview like Matt Lauer had conducted immediately beforehand. His interview was with a Democrat, but I enjoyed it because his questions and manner produced informative responses. He didn't just lob softballs, but he also didn't kiss his subject's ass. He asked intelligent questions that didn't appear to be influenced by his personal opinions. As a viewer, that is what I want and expect to see on a show like Today. Savannah was unable to keep her personal opinions from interfering with her responsibility as a professional to conduct an impartial interview that produced informative responses from her subject. Once he gave an answer she didn't like to her first question, she started berating him, asking him variations of the same question over and over again despite the fact that he told her, several times, that she was incorrect in her assumption and tried to lead her in another direction. She didn't give him the opportunity to talk about anything else. She acted like a student arguing against the Romney/Ryan campaign in a high school debate class, not like the professional, impartial reporter that she was supposed to be. Even Matt Lauer looked embarrassed afterwards, and I don't think that he's conservative. Politics aside, I found it unprofessional and out of place on a program that is not politically affiliated. She potentially alienated a pretty big block of people, and as a new anchor (and one the show is depending on for a ratings boost) I thought it was a major fuck up that showed she's not ready or right for this job.

fgg

Willie Geist Named TODAY Show Co-Host

The 37-year-old journalist will appear on-air during the 9 a.m. hour of the morning news program, joining Al Roker, 58, and Natalie Morales, 40, NBC announced October 10. Geist's new job begins November 12.

"We are thrilled to add Willie to the TODAY team," the show's executive producer, Jim Bell, tells Us Weekly in a statement. "He brings a solid news background with a keen sense of creativity and humor. From politics to pop culture, Willie is a skilled and versatile reporter who will make a great addition at 9 a.m. and contribute to the entire broadcast."

Geist will remain co-host of MSNBC's Morning Joe, a position he's held since 2007. In past years, he has appeared TODAY, Nightly News With Brian Williams, Way Too Early with Willie Geist and Zeitgeist. The journalist and author also anchored NBC Sports Network's coverage of the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Married to his high-school sweetheart, Christina Sharkey, since May 2003, Geist has two children: daughter Lucie, 5, and son George, 3.

Geist's hiring comes three months after Savannah Guthrie, 40, replaced TODAY veteran Ann Curry, 55, as Matt Lauer's co-anchor. Curry had been with the show for 15 years.

Willie Geist Named TODAY Show Co-Host - UsMagazine.com

i'm happy about this because i love me some willie! he's a perfect replacement when matt decides to leave.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I like this move. I really like Willie too from watching him on "Morning Joe". Sounds like he'll end his MJ duties at 9, then walk across the hall and do "Today".

- Mark Twain

I can barely tell the difference between Savanna and Natalie, except for height.
    nana51 likes this.

I'm way the fuck over Savannah Guthrie. When are they going to shitcan her already?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I'm way the fuck over Savannah Guthrie. When are they going to shitcan her already?
    They can't, though. It would be an admission by the powers that be there that they don't know what the hell they are doing.
    Laurent likes this.

Is Hugh Downs available?
    Laurent and bonnie lass like this.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information