Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ann Curry Will Be Fired As Co-Host of the Today Show Because Everybody Hates Her

I can't understand why you all don't see that it's all about Ann's capabilites as co-host.
    Yeah, Matt probably likes her just fine, but NOT as his wing woman. GET IT? Matt
    is not bringing down the ratings. Where's frickin' Valerie Bertinelli when you need her?

Bronze Member

the show is weak. i haven't seen anybody claim that she has absolutely nothing to do with the troubles, but as somebody who has watched it for over 20 years, and knew after the first week she sat down at the desk that it was a mistake, the fact remains......the show, in and of itself, has taken a dive.

as for lauer, of course he and the network are going to make a big deal about the idea that he ''likes her personally.'' it may well be true, but it's also a great possibility that this is nothing but spin. what else are they going to say?

the best thing about this situation is the possibility that the show now crashes completely, 25 million/year golden boy and all. i've always liked lauer but not anymore. he couldn't even put on a decent performance during her goodbye speech. disappointing.
    nana51 likes this.

She & Conan should start a show together.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, assholes, goodbye!

Loves IT!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I think the Today show would do better if they didn't constantly interview the Duggars, the Lohans and Kate Gosselin.
    Geauxtee likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

fgg

Kathie Lee Gifford: "Nobody's Better" Than Ann Curry

Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb took a break from their crazy, fourth-hour antics Thursday to bid farewell to their colleague Ann Curry.

After Curry confirmed late Wednesday she'd be leaving TODAY after fifteen years, Gifford and Kotb used the first part of their opening segment to honor the morning show veteran. (Curry, 55, will still be a part of the NBC family, as an Anchor at Large and National and International Correspondent for NBC News).

"She's going to have a seven-member team and she's going to travel the globe reporting on stories that she cares a lot about and loves," Kotb explained to viewers.

"And nobody's better at it than she is," Gifford chimed in. "She's very courageous and she's very dedicated to what she does and she's going to bring us great stories from all over the world."

Added Kotb, "She's fearless."

About an hour earlier, Curry said a tearful good-bye before signing off during her last broadcast as a TODAY anchor.

"I have loved you and I wanted to give you the world and I still do," she told viewers. "For all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I'm sorry I couldn't carry the ball over the finish line, but man I did try."

Ann Curry "Couldn't Even Look at" Matt Lauer on Last Week at TODAY

Not-so-fond farewell.

Ann Curry couldn't fight back the tears when she announced her immediate departure from the TODAY show Thursday after 15 years at the show and just one year as co-host -- with Matt Lauer and other colleagues offering comforting words of support on-air.

Behind the scenes, it was a different story. "It was so icy on the set," an insider tells Us Weekly of the days leading up to Curry's much-speculated farewell. "You could cut the tension with a knife."

In particular, the dynamic between Curry, 55, and Lauer, 54, was particularly awkward. "When the cameras stopped rolling, Ann wouldn't even look at Matt," says the set source. (Indeed, on Thursday's show, Curry pointedly hugged each of her colleagues except for Lauer.)

Adds another show source: "They were really icy with each other . . . The body language between them has been extremely tense."

A third set source observed of Curry's goodbye: "It was like a funeral in a way."

Meanwhile, all eyes are now on Savannah Guthrie -- rumored to be Curry's replacement. At the beginning of Friday morning's broadcast, the 40-year-old sat in Curry's seat alongside Lauer, but no formal announcement had yet been made.

"You know, Matt and I have had great on-air chemistry for 14 years, been part of the No. 1 winning team for a history-making number of years," Curry told USA Today Wednesday of speculation about iffy chemistry with Lauer. "That said, I just finished my freshman year as co-host. In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."

TBH, i think it makes her look petty to not have hugged matt or to have let it show to the audience that she was upset with him. put on a brave face and kick his ass in private.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Savannah pissed me off this morning with her stance. She keeps doing that one leg crossed over the other when she stands so she looks shorter. Be proud of your height and stand up!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

This thread has made me nostalgic for the infamous Bryant Gumbel memo. Especially his comments about Willard Scott, David Horowitz, and Gene Shalit. I hope the links don't get screwed up....

Laurent likes this.

fgg

Savannah Guthrie: 10 Things to Know About Ann Curry's Replacement

She's been officially tapped as principal co-host of NBC's Today, but how much do you really know about Savannah Guthrie? Here's all the essential (OK, and some not-so-essential) information on Ann Curry's successor.

1. She's not named for the city in Georgia. She was actually named after her great-grandmother. And her middle name is Clark. (So is her grandmother's.)

2. Australia born, Arizona raised. Guthrie grew up in Tucson, Ariz., where she attended Amphitheater High School, graduating in the same class as Olympic medalist and NFL player Michael Bates.

But she was actually born in Melbourne, Australia, where her father was stationed for work. She lived there two years before the family returned to the United States.

3. Higher education. Guthrie earned an undergraduate degree in journalism from the University of Arizona in 1993, where she graduated cum laude.

Years later, in the midst of a thriving broadcast journalism career, Guthrie attended Georgetown University Law Center. She earned her Juris Doctor there in 2002, graduating magna cum laude.

Guthrie is also a teacher: She led a first-year Legal Research and Writing workshop for first-year Georgetown law students.

4. She scored highest in the Arizona bar exam. Of the 634 people who took the Arizona bar exam in July 2002, Guthrie scored the highest, according to the state Supreme Court.

After also passing the D.C. bar, she worked as a litigation associate, specializing in white-collar criminal defense at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, a D.C. law firm.

5. Broadcasting bona fides. Guthrie got her first break in broadcast journalism in 1993 with a weekend anchor gig for the ABC affiliate in Columbia, Mo. In 1995, she moved back to Tucson to work as an anchor and reporter at the NBC affiliate.

She left for Washington, D.C., in 2000, where she worked as a freelance reporter at NBC affiliate WRC-TV, covering the September 11 attacks on the Pentagon and the 2001 anthrax mailings.

She joined Court TV (now truTV) in 2002 while working at Akin Gump, where she worked as the national trial correspondent, covering such high-profile cases as the Michael Jackson child molestation case, the Boston clergy sex abuse scandal trial and the sentencing of Martha Stewart.

6. A quick rise at Today. After serving as NBC News White House correspondent from December 2008 to June 2011, reporting for NBC Nightly News With Brian Williams, Today and MSNBC (where she co-hosted The Daily Rundown for a little over a year), Guthrie was asked to join Today full time in June 2011 as co-host of the show's third hour. She also serves as the show's chief legal analyst.

7. She plays hardball. Guthrie has said that her approach to any interview is "to try to think of the one question they would rather not be asked, just to see what they would say."

8. She isn't immune to controversy. In a Today Show segment from August 2011, Guthrie asked a doctor guest if "it's proper to breastfeed in public." Later, she compared breastfeeding to going to the bathroom, saying, "You have to go to the bathroom but you don't do that in public, hopefully. Is there a difference?"

The comments earned an angry protest on Twitter, where outraged moms marked their outraged tweets with the hashtag #NIP (a punny acronym for "not in public").

9. She is single. Guthrie met her husband, then-BBC journalist Mark Orchard, while both covered the Jackson trial in 2005. The two married December 2005, but the marriage had dissolved by January 2009.

Guthrie was later romantically linked to political consultant Mi*chael Feldman, a former aide to Al Gore.

10. Her dream is to play guitar with Shawn Colvin and Patty Griffin. She admitted this in a question-and-answer session with Today viewers.

sluce...please tell your today show contact that your focus group said that savannah needs to STAND UP STRAIGHT!

^^ I have told them for a year. I am short (5'2") but my daughter is 6ft like Savannah. My daughter loves being tall and walks proudly - never slumps. It makes me crazy to see a tall woman slump. Own it dammit! Savannah wears a small heel on Today and the does all she can to shrink. It's crazy and disturbing.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This thread has made me nostalgic for the infamous Bryant Gumbel memo. Especially his comments about Willard Scott, David Horowitz, and Gene Shalit. I hope the links don't get screwed up....

"this note with be for your eyes ONLY" LOL

That's a helluva Gumbelfesto. What a catty biatch.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot take someone named Savannah seriously. It sounds like something you'd name a cat.

I like Savannah. She is bright. That is enough for me.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I think the Today show would do better if they didn't constantly interview the Duggars, the Lohans and Kate Gosselin.

And every youtube video "trending". Why was it necessary to bring on the parents of the baby who laughed every time someone ripped paper? And the baby slept through the whole segment. Have people never been around babies and toddlers to realize they do cute things all day long?

Really low point.

fgg

Savannah Guthrie Makes TODAY Co-Anchor Debut After Ann Curry Exit

Live from Studio 1A in Rockefeller Plaza, it's Savannah Guthrie!

Eleven days after Ann Curry tearfully said goodbye to TODAY viewers, Guthrie, 40, began her new role as Matt Lauer's co-host July 9.

"It truly is a new day around here. . . I'm pleased to be sharing this new day with Savannah Guthrie, who after several years of playing a great role on this program, takes a step forward this morning and joins us as co-anchor of TODAY," Lauer, 54, said on-air.

"It's an honor to be here," Guthrie said, smiling.

Without ever mentioning Curry, 55, Lauer praised his newly promoted colleague. "You bring a great attitude and what we like to call a weird sense of humor to this program, so we're all very happy to have you."

Guthrie joked, "It's 7:02 and he's already calling me weird!"

Later that morning, Guthrie was presented with a bottle of champagne and a surprise visit from her favorite singer, Shawn Colvin. "Oh, my God! I love you!" Guthrie told Colvin, 56. "I can't believe this!"

Guthrie's new title was announced June 29, just one day after Curry confirmed she was leaving the program after 15 years. In the current issue of Us Weekly, a source says Lauer was "100 percent behind Ann leaving." In the days leading up to her emotional televised farewell, Curry and Lauer "were really icy to each other, and she refused to speak to him all week."

Curry took over Meredith Vieira's co-anchor responsibilities in June 2011; she joined the show in 1997 as news reader. Despite widespread criticism, Curry insists she's not at fault for TODAY's dwindling viewership.

"I know I am not to blame for the ratings worries," she told USA Today June 26, two days prior to her exit. "And my bosses have said to me there are many factors involved. There is no doubt that the rating wars have become meaner and less focused on our responsibilities as journalists."

Savannah Guthrie Makes TODAY Co-Anchor Debut After Ann Curry Exit - UsMagazine.com

video at the link. she's still not the right choice but at least she's tolerable.

Thread Information