Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ann Curry Will Be Fired As Co-Host of the Today Show Because Everybody Hates Her

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I want them to pay Nancy Grace whatever it takes to come over to Today. The interaction with Matt Lauer would be priceless.
    Only if he called her a useless, attention-whoring cow in the intro and told her that she's a fat, bleating asshole at the top of every hour.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I would love to see Oprah cover the Eurozone economic crisis. Then, immediately solve it by surprising everyone in Europe with a free car.
    "And YOU get a car, and YOU get a car, and YOU get a car!" I can see it now; it would probably be those shitty little Chevys that she gave away on her show though.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Replacing Ann with Savannah isn't going to do a thing. She's just as boring.
    bonnie lass likes this.

Yeah, "Today" has lost a lot of its zing. I'd rather watch Mika Brzezinski interview her old man on "Morning Joe".

- Mark Twain

Default Ann Curry endures crotch-thrusts from Magic Mike star on Today

Ann Curry endures crotch-thrusts from Magic Mike star on Today

Does this count as a going-away present for Ann Curry, or just another humiliating moment as she's reportedly ushered toward the door on Today?

Things got super-classy on Wednesday morning's edition of Today, as Joe Manganiello -- who stars in the upcoming stripper epic Magic Mike -- threw some moves her way, thrusting his crotch at Curry in a manner that might best be described as bawdy.

Sometimes work can be such a (bump and) grind, huh, Ann?

Curry, who's reportedly in the process of being phased out of the show, seemed genuinely embarrassed as Manganiello shook his money-maker in her general direction.

Luckily, she was let off the hook shortly thereafter, as a cabal of hip-shakers broke out into a "spontaneous" flash mob of pelvis-gyrating action. (We suppose the term "flash mob" takes on an extra meaning in this situation.)

My mom texted me saying that she is planning on boycotting "Today" because she doesn't like how Ann is being treated in this ordeal. I know she used to watch it because she liked Katie Couric, but now I think she watches it as a habit.

Bronze Member

not exactly surprising, this...

Matt Lauer's Wife Threatens Divorce If Natalie Morales Gets Today Co-Host Gig | Radar Online

There's drama brewing on Today in the wake of Ann Curry's sudden departure from her co-host seat and it's almost as good as an episode of the Jersey Shore!

Ratings for the morning program have plummeted since Curry took over from Meredith Vieira last year, and as a result, the veteran journalist is being handed a pink slip and Matt Lauer's wife Annette Roque isn't happy about the situation.

She fears the replacement will be none other than Natalie Morales, the woman Lauer was not only accused of having an affair with, but also fathering one of her children.

Morales has been a regular fixture on the show for a few years now and was upset she didn't get the co-host gig after Vieira left. It's now rumored she's threatening to quit the show if she doesn't get the job even though Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb are the front-runners.

Meanwhile, that's not the only threat going around. Roque, reportedly told the NBC host that if Morales gets the job, she's divorcing him.

"When she heard about Ann getting the boot, the first thing she told Matt was that she didn't want him cozying up any closer to Natalie," a source close to Lauer's wife told The National Enquirer. "In fact, Annette drew a line in the sand and said if he pushed show bosses to make Natalie his new co-host, she'd divorce him. Annette knows Matt is the key to the Today franchise and his bosses will put whoever he wants in the co-host chair."

A NBC Universal representative had no comment on Curry or her replacement, but said the talk of Morales, 40, being upset was 'totally untrue'.

But Roque isn't taking any chances and is doing everything she can to ensure Morales doesn't get the job.

Lauer, who is said to have signed a $25 million deal earlier this year to stay with Today, was accused of having an affair with his coworker when they were covering the Winter Olympics in Italy in 2006.

Meanwhile, after only a year on the job, it's said that the network is going over the final details of Curry's severance package from her $10 million a year contract.

I think if my spouse gave me this kind of ultimatum, I'd move into my own place. That isn't a healthy situation to begin with, and if this is true, they'd be better off separated. That relationship sounds like it's dunzo anyway if she's telling him that.
    bonnie lass likes this.

- Mark Twain

I really doubt that is true at all.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

'Today' co-host Ann Curry will bid farewell today
    By Susan Page, USA TODAY

Curry's voice chokes when she talks about saying goodbye this morning on NBC's Today show, years earlier than she had hoped.

It's "going to be a bit of a tough day," she told USA TODAY in a 40-minute phone interview Wednesday, sounding as though she were fighting back tears. "I'm going to have to tell our viewers. That's what makes me more emotional than anything. I don't want to leave them. I love them. And I will really miss them."

After a year as co-host, and days of fevered speculation about her future, Curry steps down today from the high-profile post held in the past by the likes of Jane Pauley and Katie Couric.

Instead, Curry's new multiyear contract with NBC has her leading a seven-person unit with a ticket to cover the world's biggest stories, from the civil uprising in Syria to the plight of the poor in America. She'll produce network specials and pieces for NBC Nightly News, Dateline, Rock Center— and Today— and she'll occasionally fill in as anchor on Nightly News and elsewhere.

While she describes her new job as one that any journalist would crave, she makes no secret that the very public process that pushed her out of the co-host chair amid rumor-fed headlines has left wounds.

"I don't know who has been behind the leaks, but no question they've hurt deeply," she says. She admits she would have liked more time to work things out as co-host, and she bristles a bit at the suggestion that she lacked "chemistry" with co-host Matt Lauer.

"You know, Matt and I have had great on-air chemistry for 14 years, been part of the No. 1 winning team for a history-making number of years," she says. "That said, I just finished my freshman year as co-host. In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."

Does she think she was given enough time to work out those kinks? "No, I do not," she says flatly.

Would she have liked more time? "Oh, sure I would have," she says.

Curry rejects the notion she's responsible for the ratings slip that threatens Today's long dominance on morning TV, though last week New York Times writer Mike Hale wrote an article examining the idea it was "Ms. Curry's fault" because of a perceived lack of warmth and ease.

ABC's Good Morning America broke NBC's 16-year winning streak in April and has taken three additional weeks since then.

"I know I am not to blame for the ratings worries," Curry says. "And my bosses have said to me there are many factors involved. There is no doubt that the rating wars have become meaner and less focused on our responsibilities as journalists," though she says some at Today do "brilliant work."

"And the show is still No. 1 in terms of ratings," she quickly adds.

NBC News president Steve Capus makes a similar point in a separate interview.

"We had a many-year run in first place in total viewers, and it got snapped, but since then, every week in the past month we've started a new streak," he says. "This isn't about streaks; it's about consistent performance, and we want to continue to build the Today Show."

Still, there's no question a decline over the past year in ratings for Today— a huge profit center for the network — put in motion the changes that Curry is set to announce on the air this morning.

"There's nobody complacent around here," Capus says. "We're aggressive and we're going to continue to evolve the broadcast, and this is one of the moves, but it's not the only move in response to all of that." He declined to describe what other changes are ahead, including who will take Curry's place and when.

'Steve sat me down …'

Curry, 55, says she was prepared to leave NBC, the network she joined more than two decades ago as a Chicago-based correspondent. "I walked into his office expecting to say goodbye," she says of Capus, describing herself as "deeply sad" about the turn of events. "Steve sat me down and told me I'm not done, and he convinced me there is far more to do." He offered to create a unit for her that would do the sort of reporting she likes best.

She will have a big title —Today show anchor-at-large and NBC News national/international correspondent — and a contract negotiated on her behalf by lawyer Robert Barnett that she says lasts "a significant amount of time," more than just a few years.

She declines to discuss her salary but says reports of $10 million or $20 million a year are wrong. "I can say that I'd love to earn that much," she says.

Asked for examples of the kinds of stories she'll pursue, her enthusiasm sparks.

"I would be trying to give voice to the citizens of Syria," she says. "I would be trying to understand and report what the women in Egypt are thinking and worrying about after the elections there. I would be spending time with the new poor in America, trying to understand how families will be making that shift with the economy we're facing."

Over the past year, she says, she has been frustrated by limits on her ability to travel and report such stories. She has made two major trips in that time: one to Sudan and the other to Somalia.

Capus calls the new job a better fit for Curry. But she is reluctant to endorse that idea: "I have called the co-host job at the Today Show my dream job, and I would be lying if I said it was easy to leave that job."

Even so, "in my secret heart of hearts, I see this as a thrilling opportunity. To have a ticket to every big story in the world — no small matter." She adds that she is "trying not to say it too loudly, because it's almost like the dream you didn't ever allow yourself to have because of the reality of network television today.

"My father used to say, 'Well, Ann, maybe the best thing you'll ever do, you haven't even thought of yet.' And as I think about this, maybe that time is now."

First, she will take some time off, report from the Olympics in London and finish some stories already in the works. Then, she'll find out if it's possible for her to sleep past the 3:30 a.m. alarm she has set since she became Today's news anchor in 1997.

Becoming the story

In recent days, she has had reporters calling her husband and paparazzi camped outside their home. "In journalism school, you never take a class on what to do when you're the focus of the story," she says with a sigh.

In recent days, too, she has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support on the Web and Twitter and at NBC, even as news reports dissected her tenure as co-host. That has stung, she says, calling much of the reporting untrue — "whether it comes to how much I'm making or whether I'm (being) paid to leave or whether I'm hated by my colleagues when I know I'm not. And I have never felt like a stepsister at the Today Show family, as some have described me. I've always felt close to the people here."

Pressed about her relationship with Lauer, she says: "Well, we've had a terrific relationship for all these years, and he's such a star. Obviously he's considered the golden boy of morning television. He's so good when you sit next to him; it's hard not to be helped by that. He's funny and glib, and he knows how the show works. It's been my honor in this last year to sit next to him."

There was such an influx of crewmembers coming into her office to offer supportive words and hugs that she had to shoo them out so she could do her work.

Her first commitment, she says, is to the viewers. "I come to work every day not wanting to drop the ball on them," she says. "I've tried very hard to be what they need — even in the crazy-colored highlighter-toned dresses I wear that you could probably see from outer space. I've worn them because I know every one of us needs a little brightness in the morning."
    'Today' co-host Ann Curry will bid farewell today

Well, that's that. I find her Lauer quote interesting, especially that she chose the adjective "glib" to describe him. Zing!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Frankly, I'd rather have her "new" career than the one she's got on the Today Show; that place sounds like a political and personal Peyton Place. I'd rather do special reports and travel than be stuck next to Matt Lauer every morning, as prestigious as that might sound.
    lulu09 likes this.

- Mark Twain

And she did the announcement with tears, as I would, and then hugged all but Matt. Told you she would be out by July 1.
    bonnie lass likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Syd

Fuck! I missed it? I just switched over from GMA, expecting she would do it at the end.

She wouldn't look at him...I also wouldn't. I wish she would have turned around when his hand was on her, and told him to get it the fuck off of her.

I like Ann but don't think she was the best for this jubt but they could have done this with a little bit more respect.
    Sasha and lulu09 like this.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I just can't feel bad for Ann. You hear those stories about what a Bitch she is especially to her neighbors and I just can't help but think KARMA.
    bonnie lass likes this.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information