Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie’s son Maddox to attend South Korean university for biochemistry

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i dunno. biochemistry is a pretty hard major and the course work is non-trivial. don't know anything about this uni but biochem is hardly a blow off degree. *shrugs*

My son wants this to be his major but he has no idea yet where. So hard to choose where to apply and He can only choose 10. Never thought of SK but can see this is a hard one to get into

Elite Member

I agree with those who said the recent Loughlin scandal might be the reason. The Korean system is highly competitive and regular kids are working hard since kindergarten. Some of them experience burn-outs, they commit suicides or attempt to kill their parents. Usually they study late in the night and the tutoring industry is huge. Kids go to school, some bring their neck pillows and literally sleep during classes. Then go to the extra-courses to prepare for exams. I would recommend "The Smartest Kids in the World" by Amanda Ripley, it tries to understand the educational systems with best results in PISA tests.
    That being said , while for the regular kids there are no shortcuts or an easy way, there have been a lot of scandals regarding admission of international students or local celebrities. Some teen pop-stars admission have been revoked.
    So, since in US is kind of risky these days , SK would be a nice choice.
    Now, it's up to Maddox. Possibly courses for international students are in English. It'll be an interesting experience from so many points of view. A friend of mine worked there for 6 months and the she came back thin as a rail, she could barely find something to eat.
    DawnM74 likes this.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new adventure lasted about as long as the eldest Beckham kid's foray into various colleges and jobs.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this new adventure lasted about as long as the eldest Beckham kid's foray into various colleges and jobs.
    I can't see Maddox being like the Brooklyn. He seems to try to avoid the spotlight as much as possible unlike Brooklyn.

^ I meant that he potentially couldn't keep up with the course work and drops out but we shall see.
    Sarzy, Beeyotch, effie2 and 2 others like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the splashy news of his acceptance and perhaps from time to time "leaked" photos of him on campus, we will never hear of him graduating. It will just disappear much like the ballyhoo over his attending Lycee. Angelina gets the good press of genius son and then everyone moves on. Years later the fiction will be that Mad is a biochemist.

I mean, I hope for his sake this is something he can achieve. I just don't trust the Jolie PR machine.
    rollo, Kittylady, Beeyotch and 4 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

^ Exactement.

I'm dubious about this. I mean, he has Angelina Jolie for a custodial parent, for crying out loud. I think it's kind of difficult to divorce the consistent drubbing that Jolie has gotten here and elsewhere and somehow think that it hasn't negatively impacted Maddox's upbringing and education. But who know??? Good luck!!!
    rollo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redcat View Post
    I agree with those who said the recent Loughlin scandal might be the reason. The Korean system is highly competitive and regular kids are working hard since kindergarten. Some of them experience burn-outs, they commit suicides or attempt to kill their parents. Usually they study late in the night and the tutoring industry is huge. Kids go to school, some bring their neck pillows and literally sleep during classes. Then go to the extra-courses to prepare for exams. I would recommend "The Smartest Kids in the World" by Amanda Ripley, it tries to understand the educational systems with best results in PISA tests.
    That being said , while for the regular kids there are no shortcuts or an easy way, there have been a lot of scandals regarding admission of international students or local celebrities. Some teen pop-stars admission have been revoked.
    So, since in US is kind of risky these days , SK would be a nice choice.
    Now, it's up to Maddox. Possibly courses for international students are in English. It'll be an interesting experience from so many points of view. A friend of mine worked there for 6 months and the she came back thin as a rail, she could barely find something to eat.
    Was there not enough food stores or restaurants?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I'm guessing she didn't like most of the food choices available?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I'm guessing she didn't like most of the food choices available?
    Slightly off topic, but this is probably my favorite story about life in Hong Kong - forgive me if I've already told it:

So, as some of you know, I have extreme problems with headaches, including cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia. Every so often, they get so insanely bad, that my doctors will throw me in the hospital for a more intense treatment of some kind. Usually in Hong Kong, my hospital stays were at private hospitals, but Queen Mary, a public hospital, had a renowned headache clinic, so we decided to give that a try. This meant that instead of a private room, I was placed in a ward, with about 15-25 beds in it. Every other woman in this ward was Chinese, which didn't bother me at all. It bothered them though, and within two hours I was moved into a small, but private room... because of the noise level in the ward, they said.

Three times per day, a hospital aid would wheel in a flat with three huge metal barrels on it: one with rice, one with some sort of meat stew, and another with vegetarian stew. Twice a day, a rather brusque aid would push a flat with an even bigger barrel on it - this one with freshly boiled tap water - to refill the water in our little pink jugs. After about 5 or 6 of these refills, I very nicely, with pantomimes, asked, "Cold water? Can I get cold water?" She looked at me and nodded as she plunged my pink jug into the boiled barrel.

"Yeah," she said, "You wait - it get cold."

Doesn't matter how often I think about, or tell the story - it still makes me laugh - what a stupid, entitled, asshole I was, but she crushed it.
    Last edited by lindsaywhit; Today at 10:28 AM.
    Novice and stella blue like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information