Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolieís son Maddox to attend South Korean university for biochemistry

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I'm hate to say it since I'm actually rooting for Maddox (he's my fave) but I have my doubts. Only because how good an education could he have gotten even with attending some of these schools he did, given his screwy family and parental situation.

I hope he succeeds.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don’t necessarily believe the kids didn’t have a good education. Money can buy you awesome tutors that can follow kids all over the world. They might have missed out on the structure that a school provides but not necessarily on the academics.
    czb, ChemicalHelena, Sarzy and 5 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    Really, a South Korean university for biochemistry. What were his other choices: Podunkville, Khazakstan and Damascus? I guess Loughlin/Massimo made it impossible to buy a seat at USC. Colour me skeptical, but this reeks of celeb kid who wants to appear to be doing something real while living on mum and dad's dime.
    No, I tried to be funny and chose undisirable locations. His actual other choices were probably Kentucky, North Dakota and the local state college, all fine but not exclusive enough for them. South Korea sounds so much better, even if Yonsai isn't their top uni. This is the same shit as when Angie made Maddox exec. producer on her Cambodia film at the tender age of 15. She keeps throwing him in at the deep end. I hope the lessons are in English. No way is he learning biochem taught in Korean based on a few weeks/months language courses.
    I've traveled to South Korea a number of times for work related reasons and it's certainly not an undesirable location. Beautiful country, nice people, good food, great tech industry, one of the best educational systems in the world. Maddox is incredibly fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to study there.
    HWBL and twitchy2.0 like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i dunno. biochemistry is a pretty hard major and the course work is non-trivial. don't know anything about this uni but biochem is hardly a blow off degree. *shrugs*

It will be even more difficult in Korean, which is one of the most difficult languages for English speakers to learn. Maddox was supposedly interested in film making a year or so ago. USC and NYU have two of the top film programs in the country, but perhaps it's more difficult to use your connections to get admitted to those schools (especially USC) right now. It might be easier to get into a top Korean university with famous parents.

A*O

Language issues aside, I hope he’s prepared for the hyper competitive, conservative SE Asia education system which will come as a huge shock compared to what he’s probably been used to. It will make or break him so good luck.
    MsDark, greysfang, DawnM74 and 2 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldnít be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

I don't for a second believe that Maddox or any or their kids are ready for university with the fragmented elementary and high school educations they've had - jet setting all over the world, participating in Angie's films and UN work. I would find it more believable, if he had chosen to study linguistics or athropology. Learning foreign languages and cultures seems to be the one consitent thing in their upbringing. Unless Maddox is a genius (which I find more believable, than Yonsai being their first choice) I don't see him learning much biochemistry. One good thing about Maddox studying in South Korea, is that he gets to experience college away from the prying eyes of the press. Except he won't, because Angie had to make an announcement. And don't call me Becky, that's bordering on personal attack, and wholly unnecessary.
    DawnM74, redcat and rollo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

If my parents could have afforded to send me overseas for college, I would have done it in a heartbeat. I think it's an amazing opportunity and I think it's great he's going to give this a try.
    Agreed. I would have given my right arm to do even a semester abroad in college. Instead, I buckled down and worked full time and attended school full time to graduate debt free (and give my parents financial breathing room after raising their kids and several nieces and nephews).

Iím now living vicariously through my 21 year old cousin who travels the world doing classes abroad. She is recently returned from Madagascar after 6 weeks and is now in Berlin taking an anatomy course.
    Waterslide and sjankis630 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I don’t necessarily believe the kids didn’t have a good education. Money can buy you awesome tutors that can follow kids all over the world. They might have missed out on the structure that a school provides but not necessarily on the academics.
    They have had access to some good educational opportunities that most don't, yes. The stability to settle into any of them and take optimal advantage, not so much.

Earlier comment about fragmented elementary and high school educations I agree with. Perhaps it will be good for him if he can establish a routine. He will have to, with a major like biochem. This is where I think things might be problematic long term. Hopefully he'll have some good mentors.
    DawnM74 likes this.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don't for a second believe that Maddox or any or their kids are ready for university with the fragmented elementary and high school educations they've had - jet setting all over the world, participating in Angie's films and UN work. I would find it more believable, if he had chosen to study linguistics or athropology. Learning foreign languages and cultures seems to be the one consitent thing in their upbringing. Unless Maddox is a genius (which I find more believable, than Yonsai being their first choice) I don't see him learning much biochemistry. One good thing about Maddox studying in South Korea, is that he gets to experience college away from the prying eyes of the press. Except he won't, because Angie had to make an announcement. And don't call me Becky, that's bordering on personal attack, and wholly unnecessary.

People seem to forget that rich people having their kids privately tutored is NOT a new thing. Children have been getting superior and more diverse educations from private tutoring for centuries. I think its very close-minded to think that the general, overly-rigid education system we're used to is superior. In fact, I'm pretty sure its not. I think his problem will be adjusting to a hard science degree instead of some type of liberal arts degree. In fact that's what liberal arts universities were based off of in the first place; people getting liberal educations.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

i agree with you that private tutoring can provide a strong education.

i think maddox's main challenges will be having to deal with a rigid schedule and also being in a classroom setting with other people. but the latter will probably also be beneficial.
    sputnik, Kittylady, effie2 and 1 others like this.

And don't call me Becky, that's bordering on personal attack, and wholly unnecessary.
    Then stop saying ignorant shit that a simple google search would have disabused you of.
    stella blue and HWBL like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Really, a South Korean university for biochemistry. What were his other choices: Podunkville, Khazakstan and Damascus? I guess Loughlin/Massimo made it impossible to buy a seat at USC. Colour me skeptical, but this reeks of celeb kid who wants to appear to be doing something real while living on mum and dad's dime.
    No, I tried to be funny and chose undisirable locations. His actual other choices were probably Kentucky, North Dakota and the local state college, all fine but not exclusive enough for them. South Korea sounds so much better, even if Yonsai isn't their top uni. This is the same shit as when Angie made Maddox exec. producer on her Cambodia film at the tender age of 15. She keeps throwing him in at the deep end. I hope the lessons are in English. No way is he learning biochem taught in Korean based on a few weeks/months language courses.
    Hum... Damascus University over 100 years old & alumni are multiple heads of state or cabinet ministers (European & Middle Eastern); Kazakhstan (you spelt it wrong) being a country and *not* a town has nearly 100 universities to choose from - if you were trying to be humorous maybe leave the bigotry at home?

Re Maddox language skills, many Cambodian citizens speak *multiple* languages, Korean being one of them as Cambodians travel to Korea for work. In 2016 Jolie states that her kids spoke multiple languages; I donít think that travel to other countries with tutors to maintain educational standards is a handicap to university life.
    Whether Maddox can cope with the structure is another matter but Iím sure heíll have plenty of friends that are multiple times richer than Jolie is.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    For what it's worth, I had a complete hysterectomy about 15 years ago, in sort of a Hail Mary treatment for severe, daily migraines, cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia. At the time, US hospitals would limit me to the whole 'cut you wide open and stitch you back up ' traditional hysterectomy that would take weeks if not longer to recover. However, my doctors in Hong Kong, where I had lived for four years, were happy to do a laparoscopic surgery. I had the surgery, rested for a day, and had no discomfort at all. Some people were shocked that I would go to Asia for surgery instead of the US - some people didn't even believe me.

Would I go to any Asian country for surgery - oh, hell no. Then again, I wouldn't go to just any US state for surgery either. I imagine it's the same with schools.

Good for Maddox.
    South Korea is one of the top countries for plastic surgery and is totally innovative with commercial cosmetic and skincare. Unfortunately some people donít want to believe that other countries can not only compete with the US health care *industry* but are so much better. Do I need to mention about the Arab states having free (excellent) healthcare?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Hum... Damascus University over 100 years old & alumni are multiple heads of state or cabinet ministers (European & Middle Eastern); Kazakhstan (you spelt it wrong) being a country and *not* a town has nearly 100 universities to choose from - if you were trying to be humorous maybe leave the bigotry at home?
    Not to mention that their "local state college" would be UCLA, which isn't exactly a breeze to get into and happens to be one of the best universities in the world.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Maybe people are confusing it with USC, the place where all those dumb kids with rich parents paid their way into.

Such a cool opportunity! I hope he proves everyone wrong and will finish the educatio - the article even states that he has been studying Korean, so he will do fine.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information