Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie has had her ovaries removed after cancer scare

Bronze Member

With her family and genetic background, she has done exactly the right thing. Ovarian cancer is a bitch and many women still die from it as it can go undetected for years. I was diagnosed with it two years ago and had no clue I was ill until the cyst was knocking seven bells out of my ovary and I was in excruciating pain.

I hate to piss on her chips though, she can still get ovarian cancer, although her risk will now be greatly reduced. A few ovarian cells will still be in her body and the ovarian cancer could present as PPC (primary peritoneal cancer). It's annoying how often doctors fail to mention this.

Anyway I hope she''ll be fine as she has been through a lot and surgical menopause is a horrible experience.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

i unequivocally support everyone's right to make their own choices when it comes to their bodies/health.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    < This is going to be wildly unpopular >

But I think Jolie is off her gourd.

Cutting off and removing her various body parts one by one, because of a statistical risk - no actual disease mind you, just probabilities - that her DNA has potential for disease. She has some kind of martyred Joan of Arc/Mother Teresa syndrome, she must save what's left of her connective tissue and vital parts for the good of humanity....and to be a leader in the per-emptive removal of female organs. Something akin to the medieval self flagellating monks.

And of course it all needs to be done in public on the front page of the news. Just to 'help' other women, you know?

Does this not remind anyone else of the vial of blood from ex husband Billy Bob she used to wear, her history of self cutting, drug addiction, and other bizarre body rituals she has carried on over the years?

I think she's fucking deranged, not brave.

What's next, the threatening kidney that *might* backfire someday? Get rid of that shit now. The arm that could get caught in a subway turnstile? Cut it off before its too late.

This woman has a lifelong history of self harm and she's becoming more psychotic as she gets older.
    lol
    when you have a family history and have watched loved ones die if this disease, surgery and removal of a few non essential body parts pales in comparison. My best friend is getting tested for the mutation soon - so far she's lost a grandmother and great-aunt, and one of her aunts already had a preventative mastectomy and had her ovaries removed. Should I tell her she's being a moron and an attention whore for not wanting to risk her life just to keep her tits and her ovaries?
    sure, some women will make different choices and as long as they're informed choices and they're aware of the risk, it's their business.

It's fine if you dislike jolie and think she's an attention whore but that has nothing to do with her health choices. Don't be so irrational that you can't see the difference between the two. It's not like this is Suzanne Somers telling people that they don't need chemo or radiation to cure cancer.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 24th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
    SHELLEE, sluce, McJag and 3 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

She could either remove what's statistically likely to get cancer, or she could live with constant anxiety and worries about becoming ill and dying like her mother did. It's a tough decision, but it's her decision, and living through the harshly immediate onset of menopause is probably better than living with the fear of dying painfully from something you know you have strong chances of getting.
    Good for her to speaking publicly about it---I felt pretty sickly and ill for a while, and the doctors I had seen had told me it was all in my head, one even said I may be a hypochondriac (I had a list of what possible stuff it could've been, I had anxiety about it). Finally one of them did a blood test for Lyme Disease and it came back positive. My mother felt incredibly sick for a long time, and every doctor she'd seen (she saw many) told her it was all in her head and she was just getting old and had to deal with it. Eventually her thyroid collapsed, and it was only then that she got diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. I feel like it's easy to have your anxieties and worries about your health just brushed off, it's good to see someone talk about it and show that it's a big deal if something feels off about your body and it's not shameful to be proactive about fixing what feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Good for her for being so proactive and honest. Some women do get incredibly precious about their "woman's troubles" and there's absolutely no need. They also feel their female reproductive organs are somehow sacred and integral to their whole existance as a woman. Wrong again. They are body parts and if they're no longer necessary and possibly diseased too then get rid of them.
    Exactly^^

I had my diseased female organs ripped out at age 30. My choice. Best decision I ever made.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

This is how I spent my January.

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 0 DCIS, which is a form of breast cancer. She didn't have cancer per se, but she had inflammatory cells that would have turned into cancer eventually. My mom chose to have a mastectomy for peace of mind, really. So she didn't "officially" have breast cancer, but the signs were there. When you come close to your own mortality, one never knows what choices they will make.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

This made me actually tear up a bit.

There is nothing that indicates selfmutilation here. No matter what her history is, at one point she became a responsible adult, I believe when she adopted Maddox. She is now in a different place as we all are when we grow up and move on with our lives. She did what I would have done with that family history and I like that she talks about it. Many women went to screenings for breastcancer when she talked about that, she did good back then and is doing good here again.

I think either people didn't read the entire article. Or they don't understand the medical science behind biochemical markers.

Or just hate AJ.

I personally miss crazy, limo-fucking, blood-vial, knife wielding Angelina. But she absolutely did the right thing here. This lady is only 39 years old, has a husband and six children FFS. People are nuts. It's just globs of non-essential tissue. If it can kill her then Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ, of course she should have it removed.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I applaud her decision to do this. I cringed when I read she had a PET scan though.

I hope she stays healthy and lives to a ripe old age and can enjoy her children and grandchildren.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

I think that the only thing we know for sure about this is that about two months from now CDAN will get confused again and write a BI about Jolie that has her having a torrid hookup with Gerard Butler on the exact weekend that she had her ovaries removed.
    nwgirl likes this.

i applaud her for this. but, she's going public, this is her chance to talk about insurance issues. Most people can't afford preventative surgeries like this.

and the only reason i say she should talk about it, is because of the op-ed she wrote. Many many women look up to her for the choices she's made health-wise

this would be an excellent time to talk about it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The fact that this is clearly a genetic issue for some and people have to be concerned about affording medical procedures in this country is fucking criminal.

What the fuck are we here, some third world country? Don't even get me started...
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

If my doctor told me that I had the genetic markers for XYZ and there was an 89% chance I would end up with XYZ, and possibly die from it, you bet your ass I would do what it takes to prevent that from happening. This is a dream in terms of medical advances. I know it's drastic, but we don't need our breasts to survive. We don't need our ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, etc in order to survive. It wouldn't be like removing half of your lungs, or your intestines.

I fully support any person that makes these types of decisions. Good for her. I think she's a brave woman.
    McJag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    < This is going to be wildly unpopular >

But I think Jolie is off her gourd.

Cutting off and removing her various body parts one by one, because of a statistical risk - no actual disease mind you, just probabilities - that her DNA has potential for disease. She has some kind of martyred Joan of Arc/Mother Teresa syndrome, she must save what's left of her connective tissue and vital parts for the good of humanity....and to be a leader in the per-emptive removal of female organs. Something akin to the medieval self flagellating monks.

And of course it all needs to be done in public on the front page of the news. Just to 'help' other women, you know?

Does this not remind anyone else of the vial of blood from ex husband Billy Bob she used to wear, her history of self cutting, drug addiction, and other bizarre body rituals she has carried on over the years?

I think she's fucking deranged, not brave.

What's next, the threatening kidney that *might* backfire someday? Get rid of that shit now. The arm that could get caught in a subway turnstile? Cut it off before its too late.

This woman has a lifelong history of self harm and she's becoming more psychotic as she gets older.
    Oh yes, I'm sure her feelings of sorrow and fear at learning she carries the gene that leads to a high probability of getting the same set of diseases that plagued and killed her mother were quickly tempered by the realization of how much attention she could get from the whole scenario! Of course she had to take her breasts first, not because keeping them carried an 87% risk vs the mere 50% of her ovaries, but because breasts are a visible sign of femininity which better generates public sympathy and fuels her martyr complex. She only decided to have the ovaries removed later because, after a couple of years, she really missed the attention having a double mastectomy got her. It had nothing to do with the increased risk associated with the elevated inflammation markers. In fact, she is probably making that up altogether. Of course her desire to mutilate herself was a wonderful bonus. Drawing a parallel with cutting instead of believing she wants to avoid dying young and leaving her six children motherless makes complete sense.
    Last edited by Ravenna; March 24th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Lifesaver! Angelina Jolie Cancer Doctor Reveals How Honesty Saved ‘Countless’ Lives — ‘Continue To Applaud Her’

Angelina Jolie
    has shocked the world with the recent news that she recently had her ovaries & fallopian tubes removed in a bid to prevent the type of cancer that killed her mother, Marcheline Bertrand, in 2007. Now, her doctor is speaking out to RadarOnline.com to reveal how going public with her secret could have saved millions.
    “We continue to applaud Angelina Jolie’s willingness to share her journey with the BRCA gene mutation,” Jolie’s breast cancer doctor, Dr. Kristi Funk, tells RadarOnline.com exclusively, referring to the gene mutation BRCA1 and BRCA2, which stands for BReast CAncer and is passed down from one generation to the next, making the kin more susceptible to Cancer.
    According to Dr. Funk, “Women carrying BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutations have up to an 87% lifetime chance of breast cancer and 54% chance of ovarian cancer vs. a general population risk of 12% for breast cancer and less than 1% for ovarian cancer.”

“Since the original release of her story, countless women around the world have been made aware of the gene and have been able to explore lifesaving treatment options to lower the risk it poses to their health,” says Dr. Funk.
    As Radar previously reported, the 39-year-old mother of six explained the decision to have her Ovaries and Fallopian Tubes removed in in a New York Times op-ed piece titled “Diary Of A Surgery.”
    In it, she declared that she’s “now in menopause,” and “will not be able to have any more children,” she’s accepting of the situation, knowing it’s a “part of life” that’s “nothing to be feared.”

Jolie adds that, perhaps what she is most comfortable with is that her children will never have to lose her to ovarian cancer.
    In 2013, Jolie, a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations, announced to the world that had had undergone a double mastectomy.
    At the time, Dr. Funk, of the Pink Lotus Breast Center in Beverly Hills, Calif, wrote a detailed blog about her experience, called “A Patient’s Journey: Angelina Jolie,” commending Jolie for her bravery.

Angelina Jolie’s Cancer Doctors Reveal How Honesty Saved Countless Lives | Radar Online
    greysfang likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information