Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Are Adopting a Syrian Orphan: Report

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Since Romania & Slovakia/Slovenia are both EU mem er states they are allowed to be economic migrents. However before you start your facist postings a out gypsies etc bear in mid that my Romanian friend left her homeland and ber family (elderly grandmother, young sisters) because it was
    COMPLETELY FUCKING UNSAFE FOR HER TO STAY IN ROMANIA due to the mafia etc. Her hus and had received regular death threats that got VERY specific, his crime? He was a policeman. These are the pekple you are calling economic migrents, because all you see is what you want to see.

Half the population of Syria is displaced 11 million people.
    Do you make your own armbands or do they give them out free?

You are totally ignoring the ongoing persecution of the Romanny/gypsie/Roma/etc, check your facts & broarden your outlook because there is ongoing "ethnic cleansing" in those countries.

Effie/Yanna - I am embarrassed & ashamed that our gov says we will only take 20k/5yrs. So.eone worked out that this is 6 people per politician's area. The UK could help with this issue but with attitudes like those above... What ca. i say?

For reference, as an employer, we have employed Poles over Brits because they have a work ethic that (some of) the Brits no longer possess.
    Dear Novice, if you reread Lofty's post, she sounded sympathetic to the Romanians, and hates Nazis/fascists. ?

I have heard that some Europeans loathe gypsies. That's not a thing here in CA--at least not that I've ever encountered. The papers here, in discussing those who are coming to the EU from poverty-stricken regions, have been emphasizing Iraq and Afghanistan--fyi. And apparently there are many falsified Syrian papers/IDs. It is disturbing that people who are truly running for their lives like your friend, and other victims of ethnic cleansing, corruption, religious persecution and genocide, may get "lost" in the tumult of so many people trying to get to Europe at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Isis is killing more Muslims than Christians. So I don't see a need to prioritize protecting one group over another. Are we saying the Christian lives are more valuable?

It doesn’t matter if you are a Sunni cleric or a Christian woman, your choice is to submit to ISIS or die. They're more interested in absolute power than religion.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Count...tember2014.pdf

Defectors: ISIS is killing Muslims, not protecting them - CNN.com

ISIS claims deadly bombing at Yemen mosque frequented by Sunni, Shiite Muslims - CBS

ISIS crucifies Syrians for breaking Ramadan fast - ARA News

Isis executed scores of children in a year of its caliphate | Syrian Observatory For Human Rights

I don't know what the answer is here. World war against isis maybe? I'm not being facetious, I just don't know.
    Oh hell no, I'm the last person who'd say Christian lives are more valuable. But I read that same article Mohandas linked, and some others. It's easy to forget, in light of the eternal Christian-Muslim hatefest, plus all the terrorism and rhetoric against Western/Christian societies, that ISIS are basically just power hungry, equal opportunity killers. Going to read your links now. Maybe I should have a drink first.

I think you may be right about world war, and I'm not being facetious either. I've never had this foreboding feeling before, like we're building to something huge and terrible.

It was always going to happen when Gadaffi left power.
    YES. He warned us about that, didn't he. I wish someone had listened.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    I am sorry but i cant think of anything but my own country and people.Kids in our schools are fainting out of HUNGER.Pensioners dont buy medecines anymore,cant afford them.Suicides out of financial problems is a daily phenomenon..My people does not smile .We are suffering and we clearly need to look after our own.Our taking care of refugees is done out of deep human empathy.It is on our DNA.But surely there has to be a way we wont get the lion share of their burden..
    I'm so sorry, Effie and Yanna. I've seen some video from Greece that was so heartbreaking I could barely sit through it. I know a lot of people here don't really understand how bad it is for your people; our media isn't very helpful. So I put some of the videos on Facebook so they could see for themselves. My friends were shocked. Hopefully others are doing this too and the word will spread more. A couple of weeks ago I did some research and found a list of charities trying to help the Greek people in the article I've linked below. Are there any charities you think are honest and doing good work?

Here are the best ways to help people suffering in Greece

I eventually chose the Hellenic Red Cross, MSF, and Medecins du Monde's Greek branch. It wasn't much but anything is better than nothing, I figure.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Dear Novice, if you reread Lofty's post, she sounded sympathetic to the Romanians, and hates Nazis/fascists. ?
    Thank you, Kathie! And yes! And yes!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzuoko View Post
    They didn't even get her age right. She's 40 now.
    I know, all this Syrian refugee adoption business and that's what I zeroed in on--I know bitch isn't my exact age.

I'm so sorry, Effie and Yanna. I've seen some video from Greece that was so heartbreaking I could barely sit through it. I know a lot of people here don't really understand how bad it is for your people; our media isn't very helpful. So I put some of the videos on Facebook so they could see for themselves. My friends were shocked. Hopefully others are doing this too and the word will spread more. A couple of weeks ago I did some research and found a list of charities trying to help the Greek people in the article I've linked below. Are there any charities you think are honest and doing good work?

I eventually chose the Hellenic Red Cross, MSF, and Medecins du Monde's Greek branch. It wasn't much but anything is better than nothing, I figure.
    Thank you Kathie! I think you chose well. Of the remaining charities in your link, Hamogelo tou Paidiou (the Smile of the Child) is very close to my heart because they work with children and also because they are in a bad financial situation and face closure this year. I always try to support them.

There is an NGO I know called Agkalia (Hug) of that is operating in Lesbos and I know people who have actually worked on it. One of my ex co workers (a great girl, nothing like the rest of them) actually spent her two weeks summer vacation volunteering there. There were also many volunteers from Europe, kids from the UK, Germany, Denmark and many other places who were doing the same as her. Wonderful kids in their early 20s eager to help in any way and not shying away from human suffering. The heart and soul of the NGO was an orthodox priest, Father Stratis who had been doing his best to help refugees since 2007. Unfortunately he succumbed to cancer a few months ago but many volunteers are continuing his work, among them a guy I know well to be an atheist but of course none of that matters when faced with such a humanitarian disaster.

Stupid site banned my IP after I posted an article on "Agkalia" and other NGOs. Jerk. I had to steal my aunt's internet to post this.

And to hijack even more, some other places I know that do great work, there is a Facebook group called "Kos Kindness", it's run by a Brit who is living permanently in Kos. She is amazing, has been so helpful to needy families in Kos and now to the refugees passing through! They even convinced Thomas Cook holidays to allow 10 kg extra baggage for holidaymakers wishing to donate stuff. Brits and other people going on holidays in Kos were so great, none of the Daily Fail crowd whining about how their holidays were ruined, they were asking how they can help and sending and bringing over so much stuff. She got a lot of shares and received by post all sorts of things, even babywearing wraps from Australia, of all places.

And in Greece in general cause animals are the last to be considered in this crisis and they are suffering too, I will plug Stray.gr. It's a wonderful group helping stray animals in Greece and organising foreign adoptions (mostly Germany, I think). I don't dare venture into their pages showing cats for adoption because I'd just want to take them all in. But I try to help them from time to time, buy things from them, sponsor etc.

Apologies if this post is breaking any rules, if it is let me know and I'll remove it. Don't wanna end up getting my aunt's IP banned as well...

Elite Member

I have heard that some Europeans loathe gypsies. That's not a thing here in CA--at least not that I've ever encountered. The papers here, in discussing those who are coming to the EU from poverty-stricken regions, have been emphasizing Iraq and Afghanistan--fyi. And apparently there are many falsified Syrian papers/IDs. It is disturbing that people who are truly running for their lives like your friend, and other victims of ethnic cleansing, corruption, religious persecution and genocide, may get "lost" in the tumult of so many people trying to get to Europe at all costs.

Oh hell no, I'm the last person who'd say Christian lives are more valuable. But I read that same article Mohandas linked, and some others. It's easy to forget, in light of the eternal Christian-Muslim hatefest, plus all the terrorism and rhetoric against Western/Christian societies, that ISIS are basically just power hungry, equal opportunity killers. Going to read your links now. Maybe I should have a drink first.

I think you may be right about world war, and I'm not being facetious either. I've never had this foreboding feeling before, like we're building to something huge and terrible.

YES. He warned us about that, didn't he. I wish someone had listened.

Awesome idea Kathy. At the Red Cross site there's a way to donate via text, which makes it really convenient... Not sure if I'm allowed to post what to text and where but anybody can find it here at this link:

Text to Give | Mobile & SMS Text Message Donations | Red Cross
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    You know, I'm in Merkel-Land and from my perspective, the EU does something wrong. With all the money they have to spend on fugees, they could just go and build schools, hospitals, family centers, help the people to help themselves and enable them to stay in their country. I feel for every person who leaves home because it is unbearable to stay and I'm all for welcoming this people - but we have too many to properly integrate them here right now. I work at a school, we have so many new kids here who do not understand one word in german, with parents who have no idea how school works and what they have to do to help their children, some of the parents illiterate, most completely overwhelmed by the expectations german schools have. And while the german government talks and talks, we don't get interpreter, a second teacher in the room, smaller classes or any other help, so we probably won't be able to teach this children enough to give them hope for a better future. Makes a nice combination: poverty, frustration, no education, no chances. Oh, and let's not forget the f**cking neonazis, they have a well frequented pub directly across the school. That's the icing of the cake on some days. IDIOTS! who have nothing better to do than scream insults at small children. I feel that there is no solution, only regret about missed oportunities for everyone (and some really violent fantasies about Nazis from me personally).
    I am sure in 6 months you will write that these kids speak a very good German. There is no better way to learn a language than learning by doing when kids have each other. The entire German school system can be improved, the lack of teachers is a general problem, existing for a long time.

We have many teens from Syria here, who live in own buildings but missing simple things, now we support them with first buying them hygiene articles, then we would have a calling to donate clothes and toys, and the help is tremendous, now we make sure they get integration in school and sports club, it is difficult and the buerocratic boundaries are annoying but I have to say they really want to be part of this country.

Adopting a Syrian/muslim child for non muslims is - normally (money rules the world) hard to realize, I can't name one case where that happened. I also don't hope that seperating three brothers is an option. These rich people can easily support them in a different way than adopting one and getting praised for the selfless act. Still want to purge why Madonna entered Africa, took a kid and left the father behind instead of supporting them and ensuring they can be together.

Bronze Member

Since Romania & Slovakia/Slovenia are both EU mem er states they are allowed to be economic migrents.
    I don't get this sentence. The countries you mention Slovakia, Slovenia and part of Romania are safe countries,Apart from Roma&Sinti, many people from this region simple flee from poverty and abuse the Asylum system.

I think she means since these countries are in the EU they can (and will) move to Western EU countries to work. They are not refugees, they are migrants. Some Roma groups seek asylum (I haven't heard about Sinti, Wikipedia tells me these are Roma people who migrated to german territories in the Middle Ages) because they claim they are unfairly treated in their own country, since they are Roma.
    I don't know whether they are or have been granted asylum or not.

Anyway, integration of kids is the way forward with ample opportunities for their parents too, who should want to integrate, mind you, while keeping their identity. Live and let live and make sensible choices to keep the peace in a society - just to air some true clichès.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information