Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Amy Winehouse is dead from possibly a drug overdose..details coming..

pa.press.net, Updated: 31/10/2011 12:57
    Unheard Amy album to be released

Amy Winehouse's father Mitch said the album was on a par with her other releases

An album of unreleased tracks by Amy Winehouse is to go on sale just months after the singer's death.
    The album features outtakes, two completely new songs and a demo recorded at her Camden flat while she played guitar.
    Amy's father Mitch said the songs on Amy Winehouse Lioness: Hidden Treasures "took my breath away".
    The release will help raise money for the charity set up in her name in September.
    The collection contains original tracks as well as covers, including her stark version of A Song For You, written by Leon Russell, and recorded at home in the spring. Her recording of jazz standard Body and Soul with Tony Bennett, is also included.
    Producers Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson pulled the album together after listening to thousands of hours of vocals by the star, many of them from sessions for her two studio albums Frank and Back To Black.
    Mitch said the tracks on the album, to be released on December 5, were on a par with her other releases.
    He added: "It wasn't until I sat down with the rest of the family and listened to this album that I fully appreciated the breadth of Amy's talent, from jazz standards to hip hop songs, it really took my breath away."
    Mitch said he had not heard one of the new songs, called Halftime, before he listened to the collection.
    Retailers are expecting huge sales of the album and it is being tipped as a Christmas number one. There was a renewed wave of interest in her songs following her death. Gennaro Castaldo of HMV said: "We're expecting huge interest in this album, which is already being pre-ordered by fans, and with its December timing I'd say we're looking at the Christmas number one."

Unheard Amy album to be released - *News | MSN Music

Well of course it is. Can't wait.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can't wait for this. Putting it at the top of my Chrimbo list as I type.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Yes, it's good news. It's sad that they only salvaged a few new tracks from all her years of trying to make a third album but with the covers and outtakes, it should be a quality memorial for her.
    Last edited by rollo; October 31st, 2011 at 07:09 PM.

Amy Winehouse album to be released in time for Christmas | Music | guardian.co.uk

Amy Winehouse album to be released in time for Christmas

Lioness will feature 12 tracks, including a substantial amount of new material, and is described as 'faithful to her legacy'
    A 12-track Amy Winehouse album entitled Lioness will be released before Christmas, according to her former record label. Photograph: Jim Dyson/Getty Images

An Amy Winehouse album comprising 12 tracks, including new material will be released in time for Christmas, it has emerged.
    In a Soho recording studio, journalists heard most of the record, entitled Lioness, in the company of executives from Winehouse's label, Island Records. Her manager Raye Cosbert and producer Salaam Remi were also present. Remi worked with the singer on her two albums Frank and Back to Black and was slated to produce her third.

Remi introduced and played seven songs – those he declined to reveal were a Frank-era live set opener, Best Friends; an early version of the hit Valerie; a demo of the song Wake Up Alone; a version of the Shirelles' Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow; and the Tony Bennett duet Body and Soul, which has already appeared on the veteran singer's own recent album.

At best, the seven tracks sounded like the basis for another hit album, although it's hard to make any kind of judgment on the basis of one listen. Several are based around demos or early versions of songs, to which Remi subsequently added vocal parts, backing tracks and more. He insisted that since Winehouse's death on 23 July, he has only spent two weeks polishing the material. "Touching things up, adding some strings," he said. "Just what you'd do with any recording."

Nonetheless, it is hard to believe that Winehouse herself – who oversaw every aspect of the two albums she released – wouldn't have reworked much of the material that is to be put out. There are certainly times when her vocal on a song sounds more like a sketch, even if she was an instinctive artist who appreciated the magic of capturing a first take.

As Remi said, however: "Lots of people are going to want to remember other aspects of her life, but what we have here highlights that musically and creatively, she was the tops. She was a great musician and a great songwriter as well. She wasn't a musical fluke."

These are the seven tracks played at the listening session:

Our Day Will Come

Remi explained that during the recording of Winehouse's debut, Frank, the pair of them would play around with different versions of songs that they liked, once a vocal take was in place. Hence a reggae version from those sessions in 2002 of this 1963 hit by doo wop outfit Ruby & the Romantics. "It also points the way forward to the doo wop sound of Back to Black," Remi added. The producer subsequently added backing vocals and the result is an deep, rich and uptempo call to arms that is also touching in its sentiment. "Our day will come and we'll have everything," Winehouse sings. "No one can tell me that I'm too young to know ... "
    Between the Cheats

Recorded six years to the month after Our Day Will Come, in May 2008, for possible inclusion on Winehouse's planned third album. The song is another with a heavy doo wop influence, and "shows one of the main directions in which she was heading", according to Remi.

The song title has led to speculation that it references Winehouse's tempestuous relationship with her ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil, whom she divorced in July 2009. But – starting with a spot of whistling – it's another big and brassy song, not a maudlin ballad. Nor in this recording of the song can the lyrics be clearly heard – at least, not on a first listen – although there is a reference to "my husband".
    "Amy was mostly a one-take person," said Remi. "Going through all the [computer] files of her music: it's mostly all one or two takes."

Tears Dry

A version of the song that appears on Back to Black – in fact, the first version to be recorded, in Miami in November 2005 with Remi. "It brings another light to the song," said the producer. "It's not so much about the production: it's her … making a direct connection with the listener." So, a ballad to which strings have subsequently been added. But not – for this listener at least – a real tearjerker.

Like Smoke

Recorded two weeks after Between the Cheats and featuring a guest appearance from the New York rapper Nas, whose verses were added subsequently to the recording. "He was one of Amy's favourite artists," Remi said, adding that the song In My Bed from Frank, effectively sampled one of his tracks, while Me & Mr Jones told the story of missing one of his gigs. "They had an affinity," said Remi. "Besides which, they were both born on 14 September."

The producer also explained the meaning in Nas's verse behind the phrase "colder than a penguin's pussy", saying it was a phrase that Winehouse herself – who could be "quite the comedian, and very clever" – taught the rapper. "If you think about it," Remi added, "a penguin drags its ass on the ground all day". Nas also references Winehouse's death, when he raps about a visit to Camden, and his belief in heaven. The song is another strong Remi production, with lavish strings and a flute in the mix. It seems to detail the end of an affair.

Halftime

"This was part of her repertoire when I met her in 2002," said Remi. The song was recorded three or four times but missed the cut for the record that became Frank. It did, however, give that album its title, as Winehouse mentions Ol' Blue Eyes himself in the lyrics (" … and when Frank Sinatra sings, it's too much to take … he pacifies my ache.")

It is Winehouse's vocal and guitar playing that form the basis of the track, but Remi later invited Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of the Roots to add a drum part. The song starts in acoustic fashion, but when Winehouse sings "when the beat kicks in, everything falls into place", on cue, Questlove does his thing.

Again, as with so many Winehouse songs, it's a tale of heartache and fierce pride. "You can try and stop me," Winehouse sings. "But you won't get the chance."

The Girl from Ipanema

In May 2002, Winehouse met Remi in Miami for the first time. "I didn't even know what she looked like at the time, but she came in with an acoustic guitar and sang this. Her voice just filled and lit up the room. She really put something into the song that I'd just not heard before."

This track takes that recording as its basis, and it's daft and fun, so never mind that it's clearly a half-finished take, with Winehouse resorting to scat singing.

A Song For You

Introduced to journalists with the warning that a debate surrounded the inclusion of this version of the Leon Russell classic made famous by Donny Hathaway. "It may not be the best song technically," said an Island Records executive. Nonetheless, the recording has its own story – being recorded in one take at Winehouse's house in north London in early 2009, where the singer had built a home studio. "She said to me, we can make the new album here," Remi recalled. "We don't have to worry about the paparazzi.

"She was just lying down on a couch, with the mic in her hand and by about halfway through the song she was crying, really weeping, with makeup running down her face." Remi took this recording and added further production to it, including the sound of rain with which it begins.

The song concludes with the lines: "And when my life is over/ Remember when we were together/ We were alone and I was singing this song for you." It would have made an appropriately sentimental end to Lioness, and it is sequenced as the last track on the album. But after the song finishes playing, we hear a snatch of Winehouse talking to Remi, discussing the relative merits of Marvin Gaye and the singer who first made the song famous. "Donny Hathaway," she says. "It was like he couldn't contain himself … he had something in him, you know."

After playing the seven tracks, Remi explained that he was in London the weekend Winehouse died; he had planned to attend a friend's wedding with her on the Sunday morning, but "before I could make it from Shepherd's Bush to Notting Hill, she had gone".
    "For me, working on a record was a healing process," he continued. He said he had only needed to spend two weeks of further production on the tracks since his friend's death. "I had a big brother relationship with her – with me, there was a musical space where she could be herself and not worry about anything else. And with this record: I wanted to get it off my chest. I knew what material was there, and I didn't want to rehash the pain that I feel now, in 12 months' time ... These songs: I'd like people to know them. I didn't want them sitting on a hard drive, wilting away."

This may not be the last we hear from Winehouse, with a label executive acknowledging that there is a trove of live material from which to draw for a future release, as well as other previously unheard songs. "We're not looking to paper over any cracks with this record," he insisted, adding: "We want this album to be good enough to exist on its own merits, and we think it's faithful to her legacy. Whether you can hear every lyric on every song or not, you can always hear the emotion there."

Remi added: "I know there were times when she wasn't in great shape – although personally, I didn't really see that side of her; it didn't go on in my presence – but music for her was her escape."
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Yeah, that's awesome. Thanks for posting it.

Another one you say? l think Ill wait for the reviews first.

Another track has been posted, Like Smoke, which I think is better.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Another one you say? l think Ill wait for the reviews first.
    Why not make up your own mind, instead of having someone else make it up for you.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Because, while I think she was okay I dont think she was near as good as people would like to think. So far I only like two of her songs. Are any of the new ones online for free listening?

A*O

Meh - I prefer Julie London's version.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I wonder if it was her wish to be cremated after death.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Amy Winehouse's Hidden Treasures tops album chart more than four months after her death

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 9:00 AM on 7th December 2011

She tragically died at the age of 27 earlier this year but Amy Winehouse's music is well and truly living on.
    The singer's posthumous album Lioness: Hidden Treasures has hit the top of the UK album charts more than four months after her death.
    The collection, which includes a mixture of original tracks as well as some covers she'd recorded before her death in July, was released on Monday.

Posthumous record: Amy Winehouse has topped the album chart with Lioness: Hidden Treasures more than four months after her death

And the album has already shot straight to the top of the chart.

After hearing the news Amy's dad Mitch took to his Twitter page to share his pride at its success.
    He wrote: 'Just been told, Amy at Number One. My heart is sad but bursting with pride.'

Tragic: Amy died at the age of 27 in July but her music is still popular with fans

But despite being proud of his late daughter's sales he admits listening to the album for the first time was a struggle.
    'It was a very difficult time for us. It was very emotional. But we had to sit through it and after the first couple of songs we sort of calmed down a little bit,' Mitch said.
    AMY WINEHOUSE - Lioness: Hidden Treasures

Her live shows could be shambolic, but Amy was in her element in the studio.

This contains six covers and six originals.

Her genius is evident on Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. Of the originals, the best are Between The Cheats, a doo-wop lament, and soul ballad Halftime.

'Our son was there as well and we all had to be in agreement that the album was of the same quality or better, in fact, than Frank and Back To Black, and we were more than pleasantly surprised.'
    Her dad has helped to set up the Amy Winehouse foundation following the death of his daughter, who passed away from alcohol poisoning.
    The organisation aims to 'support charitable activities in both the UK and abroad that provide help, support or care for young people, especially those who are in need by reason of ill health, disability, financial disadvantage or addiction'.
    Some of the proceeds of the album are going towards the foundation and Mitch took to Twitter to reveal the album had raised £140,000 for the cause in its first day of release on its own.
    He wrote, '140,000 sold = £140,000 to (the) foundation in one day. Well done baby.'
    Winehouse's family decided to put the disc out, which was produced by the star's longtime collaborator Salaam Remi.

Success: Amy's Hidden Treasures was compiled by her producer pals Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson

The producer, who also enlisted her friend Mark Ronson to compile the 12 songs, is adamant his pal would have been pleased with her third album.
    He tells CNN, 'I still hear her voice. I still look at different situations and imagine what she would say and what her comment would be and whatever it was ... Amy is a total comedian.
    '(She would have approved of the album). Definitely, at the end of the day who she trusted with it was myself and everyone involved. We wouldn’t have done it if we thought that it was something she would have a problem with at all.'

Earlier this year Amy's previous album Back to Black became the biggest-selling album of the century, but Adele overtook her record with her latest album 21 earlier this week.
    The album has garnered 3.4 million sales, while Amy's second record has sold 3.3 million.

Amy Winehouse's Hidden Treasures tops album chart more than four months after her death | Mail Online

'Our son was there as well and we all had to be in agreement that the album was of the same quality or better, in fact, than Frank and Back To Black, and we were more than pleasantly surprised.'
    Me thinks Amy's dad is a bit full of it. It's old stuff, unfinished stuff. Not bad, but not as great as the work that became her ticket to the top (and after that, rock bottom and death).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information