Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Amy Winehouse is dead from possibly a drug overdose..details coming..

Russell Brand has written a lovely blog about this today. Say what you will about him, he's probably more qualified than most of us to voice his opinions on these matters - he knew Amy, albeit only socially, and he knows addiction all too well. This blog is lovely, and I like that he urges people to reconsider how society treats drug use (i.e. treat it as a health problem, which it is, and not a crime.)

http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/

For Amy

July 24th, 2011 When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they’ve had enough, that they’re ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it’s too late, she’s gone.
    Frustratingly it’s not a call you can ever make it must be received. It is impossible to intervene.

I’ve known Amy Winehouse for years. When I first met her around Camden she was just some twit in a pink satin jacket shuffling round bars with mutual friends, most of whom were in cool Indie bands or peripheral Camden figures Withnail-ing their way through life on impotent charisma. Carl Barrat told me that “Winehouse” (which I usually called her and got a kick out of cos it’s kind of funny to call a girl by her surname) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarrely anomalous in that crowd. To me with my limited musical knowledge this information placed Amy beyond an invisible boundary of relevance; “Jazz singer? She must be some kind of eccentric” I thought. I chatted to her anyway though, she was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable.

I was myself at that time barely out of rehab and was thirstily seeking less complicated women so I barely reflected on the now glaringly obvious fact that Winehouse and I shared an affliction, the disease of addiction. All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they’re not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his “speedboat” there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they’re looking through you to somewhere else they’d rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

From time to time I’d bump into Amy she had good banter so we could chat a bit and have a laugh, she was “a character” but that world was riddled with half cut, doped up chancers, I was one of them, even in early recovery I was kept afloat only by clinging to the bodies of strangers so Winehouse, but for her gentle quirks didn’t especially register.

Then she became massively famous and I was pleased to see her acknowledged but mostly baffled because I’d not experienced her work and this not being the 1950’s I wondered how a “jazz singer” had achieved such cultural prominence. I wasn’t curious enough to do anything so extreme as listen to her music or go to one of her gigs, I was becoming famous myself at the time and that was an all consuming experience. It was only by chance that I attended a Paul Weller gig at the Roundhouse that I ever saw her live.

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a fucking genius.

Shallow fool that I am I now regarded her in a different light, the light that blazed down from heaven when she sang. That lit her up now and a new phase in our friendship began. She came on a few of my TV and radio shows, I still saw her about but now attended to her with a little more interest. Publicly though, Amy increasingly became defined by her addiction. Our media though is more interested in tragedy than talent, so the ink began to defect from praising her gift to chronicling her downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood soaked ballet slippers, the aborted shows, that youtube madness with the baby mice. In the public perception this ephemeral tittle-tattle replaced her timeless talent. This and her manner in our occasional meetings brought home to me the severity of her condition. Addiction is a serious disease; it will end with jail, mental institutions or death. I was 27 years old when through the friendship and help of Chip Somers of the treatment centre, Focus12 I found recovery, through Focus I was introduced to support fellowships for alcoholics and drug addicts which are very easy to find and open to anybody with a desire to stop drinking and without which I would not be alive.

Now Amy Winehouse is dead, like many others whose unnecessary deaths have been retrospectively romanticised, at 27 years old. Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy’s incredible talent. Or Kurt’s or Jimi’s or Janis’s, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call.

Elite Member

Damn. Didn't know Russell has it in him. Wonderful tribute.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Thank you,Sassiness. That was beautiful and I would have missed it. Yea,Russell
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Nice change from the usual "no sympathy", "brought it on herself" comments people direct at addicts.

News reporting:
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    RIP. what a waste. She was talented but couldn't fight her demons.

She's part of the '27' club ala Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix now...
    Posted from my iPhone

I was thinking that too. Wasn't kurt Cobain 27 at the time of his death?

Damn! While this comes as no surprise I'm still angry and also a bit sad. I loved her voice and music. RIP.

Just wanted to say that i was shocked at her death. IDK why because her history and addictions made it likely she would die young.

Amy you were way to young to die. I may not have been a massive fan of your music but you had true talent.

RIP Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I know she was a grown-ass woman who made her choices. It still saddens me deeply. Amy was loved by her family (not used or encouraged to be gossip fodder like a Kardashian or Lohan.) She obviously loved them back.

In a world where these celebrity girls, who can't sing or write music, use every drug they dabble with or sex partner for narcissistic gain, Amy was completely real. She was naked before us, which is what made her songs and voice so unique and arresting.

I wanted more albums full of songs written by Amy. She made music that came from a deep well of frightening resources that she was unafraid to dive into. Yeah, I think she was a brave songwriter. Music wasn't fashion for Amy. You can't steal it, try it on and discard it. Music isn't a gimmick. Music is soul.

It doesn't surprise me that the bigger assholes in the world know how to take drugs and live. They know how to use, after all. That's their MO, use everything around them to get high and avoid any consequences.

The difference is people like Amy (and Kurt Cobain and Nico, too) probably felt the doom in her first heroin injection. Some sort of weird personal integrity decided that it was her path alone to destroy herself completely.

I really wish that Amy had aged like Lou Reed rather than join the 27 Club. She had the potential to write and sing as the scarred survivor for years to come. I'm so bitter. Musically, in a world of canned youth devoid of any meaning, we need a voice like this to cut through the stinking piles of horse crap dressed up as song.

Ah well, I guess no one can save a person but themselves.
    Great post, olivia
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I LOVE Russell Brand (I just wish he still looked the way he did before he went Hollywood).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Well done, Russell. The best tribute I have read.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I don't love Russell Brand but that was a well written piece. I'm not sure that I agree with his conclusion but he has a right to say it.

Twitchy, I can appreciate the cartoon as well. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by checkersabrina21 View Post
    Lady GaGa: ‘Cocaine is The Devil’ | Showbiz Spy - celebrity news, rumors & gossip

OK, there's a link for you, proving what I'm saying is right. At least it's not from some "ex-bf who owns a gaga site", heh, like that's gonna make a mark!
    awww..*pats noob's head* I bet you felt really cool when you posted this.Nowoff.

Russell's post was lovely.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.v View Post
    awww..*pats noob's head* I bet you felt really cool when you posted this.Nowoff.

Russell's post was lovely.
    It's "Speshual Week" on GR I think.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

You guys need to be nicer to the newbies!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    Here in America she was not so well known.

Uh, not to be an ass, but yeah... she is.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Thread Information